Big problem with Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha Corp is saying that a dealer registered a valid VIN with yes contract number. Without confirmation FROM THAT DEALER that they made the mistake there's no way for Yamaha to know if that's what's happening or if an unknown source over the phone is blowing smoke. Take the YES receipt that is part of your paperwork trail, copy it, write a cover letter explaining what happened (1 page only, please), detail the previous owner's name and address as well as yours, send it CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT to the dealership. Make sure at least some of the paperwork includes the VIN and the YES info as well as the previous owner info.

Call them and talk to the OWNER (large chains, talk to the top manager or the store.. not sales or parts or...) explaining your problem (stay calm and professional). Get him/her on your side so when the letter arrives they will jump to fixing the problem now that they will have all the info they need.

They will be the ones to tell Yamaha Corp they messed up and get the data in the system corrected.

I do not have any paperwork on the YES here, nor do I have the original sales document,
YIKES! You bought something "claimed" by the PO without proof? Not good. If it's not "here" I sure hope all the paperwork from the original sale and onward is in a folder the PO gave you at the time of the sale. Without proof, you're sucking wind. Hopefully Tony can help make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
YIKES! You bought something "claimed" by the PO without proof? Not good. If it's not "here" I sure hope all the paperwork from the original sale and onward is in a folder the PO gave you at the time of the sale. Without proof, you're sucking wind. Hopefully Tony can help make it right.
Well...I do have to say that it wasn't just any seller, but a well respected fellow forum member here. I asked for and received some very positive feedback for him from two other forum members before I took the plunge and committed to buy the bike long distance from Texas to Oregon. As I stated earlier, he didn't realize that there could be a problem with the YES, since he received repair work done on warranty. In hindsight it was obviously the Rockwall/Tx dealer which did the repair helping out with this issue, not Yamaha fixing the paper trail.

In the end the seller came through and sold me a great bike just as promised, with tons of extras for a very good price. I can't say anything but good things about the guy. Some other folks above also assumed there was actually something wrong with my bike right now that needs warranty coverage, but that is not the case. The bike is in great shape, I simply had hoped to get the added benefit of another year of warranty just in case.

FWIW, I was pretty stoked that I got a couple of years of YES with my '05 when I bought it used in 2006.

(Holy crap, have I really owned this thing 3 1/2 years already? :blink: )

But I never got a cent of benefit from the warranty. Damn bike is just to friggen reliable! ;)

Quick Update: Fellow member and Yamaha sports center owner Tony is actively looking into my issue now. He confirmed that Yamaha actually paid out a warranty claim in 2009, and that the dealer paper trail was fixed at that time. He forwarded me the claim history as well. He suspects that there was another filing or coding mistake done, this time directly by Yamaha service folks.

This is all good news for me. I might still get the remaining 15 months of YES for my bike! :thumbsupsmiley:

Tony is one of the honest and caring dealers. It's good to know there are men like him in the business. Thankfully, he was able to find some evidence that will help you on your quest.