Big problem with Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
EDIT: IGNORE THE ASSUMPTIONS I MADE BELOW ABOUT RESPONSIBILITIES. THANKS TO THE ADVICE BELOW IT WAS CLEARED UP THAT I NEEDED TO GET ON THIS MYSELF.

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or under insurance, maybe it needs to be moved.

OK, so here it goes. I bought my 2006 last December from the PO in Texas, officially with some YES left over as part of the deal. I had the bike and the title here in Oregon in late January.

The PO bought the bike brand new in July of 2006 WITH the YES warranty as an extra item. He paid the money over for the bike and the warranty to the dealer (Yamaha power sports in Texarkana) before he left the premise that same day. As it turns out later, the dealer messed up on the YES paperwork and sent it in to Yamaha USA service covering the wrong bike.

The PO found that out a while later when he had a problem with the heated grips that should have been covered by YES. Yamaha Rockwall where he brought his bike for the repair said it didn't have any warranty showing. When he called Yamaha, they fought him on covering the repair, saying somehow that it was his responsibility to get this straightened out. He paid several hundred dollars for the repair himself. He had a windshield problem later, and after talking to 4 different dealers, he got Yamaha Rockwall to do the repair under warranty. Yamaha said that they had transferred the warranty to the right bike now.

So obviously he thought the YES issue was sorted out when he sold me the bike, and so he told me there was still some YES on it at the time. He told me much later that he was so unhappy about the bad treatment at the hands of Yamaha Service that he will never buy another Yamaha bike again, PERIOD. And this is a guy buying lot's of brand new bikes over the years....

So, fast forward to about three weeks ago. I did not have all the history of the previous owners struggles about the YES coverage as of yet, since he had not thought that it was still of any relevance.

I called in to Yamaha Service to double check that all recalls in their system were marked as done, and to inquire when exactly the YES was going to run out.

I was a bit surprised when the lady told me that my VIN number was tagged in their system, and that I needed to talk to a lady named Sheree (don't know the exact spelling), but that she wasn't in and would call me back. So far so good, and the first lady on the phone was nice and helpful. Sheree called me back later the next day, and proceeded to tell me that everybody calling in concerning this VIN was automatically directed to her, and that she was the original person dealing with the previous owner as well. There was a problem with the YES, the paper work was messed up, and that it was basically my problem, and that I needed to call the concerning dealerships in Texas to get them to straighten out the papers if I still wanted YES coverage. She was not very nice about it as well, just sounded stressed and condescending at the same time. I was in a state of total shock and disbelieve by her statement; I just didn't say much more besides "Thank you" and "Good bye" and hung up. I stewed over this for a while, and finally came to this conclusion:

1) The PO entered into an agreement with an "Authorized Agent" of Yamaha USA, namely the original Yamaha dealer he bought the bike from and the YES coverage.

2) He paid the money for the extended service plan. This money was transferred on to the Yamaha USA service company handling YES.

3) The originally paid money was never returned or refunded.

WTF are they thinking? The PO paid close to full price on the bike in July of 2006 and then Yamaha Service USA was jerking him around like that because the dealer messed up the paper work? And now they are doing this to me?

As far as I understand this (YES owners please chime in), I am still supposed to have full YES coverage until July of 2011 (1 year original warranty, plus 4 years of YES), correct?

I am wondering what the next step needs to be here. I absolutely love the bike, and I would have been fine if it didn't have any YES on it in the first place, but since it was supposed to have some, and the condescending tone by Sheree are leaving a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. These guys at Yamaha Service obviously have no clue in how to treat customers, how to retain them or at least how to not piss them off!

Please give me your thoughts, any input is appreciated. Thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line, whoever accepted the money is on the hook. If the dealership screwed something up, it's on the dealership to make it right.

Bottom line, whoever accepted the money is on the hook. If the dealership screwed something up, it's on the dealership to make it right.
Ok, you might be on to something, and this might partially explain why this is such a CF. Yamaha power sports in Texarkana was sold a few years ago and became McKinnon Yamaha. That might indeed be part of the issue. My point was though: Didn't they take the money for YES as a legal agent or representative for Yamaha USA? Doesn't that transfer the responsibility to the company administering YES? Hmmm. Thanks for your thoughts.

When I bought my bike (used) it had a (previously existing) YES warranty from the PO. In order to get it transferred to me I had to contact a Yamaha dealership and give them the VIN and tell / show that I now had legal ownership of the bike. Theoretically, I was supposed to pay them to re-inspect the bike to insure it was up to date on service and in good shape. But my dealership did it gratis as a good will gesture to solicit future sales (smart guys).

FF a few years, I never did end up using the YES. But I think if you had gone through the preliminary exercise of establishing the coverage you might not be surprised now?

I think Fred has a good point. Does sound like you are on the hook for straightening it out now - if it can be. Perhaps McKinnon Yamaha inherited the records from Powersports of Texarkana and would be willing to work with you/Yamaha USA on it ?

That said, I had the 4 year YES on my 2005 and never needed it. If you get too much runaround it may be worth dropping it to avoid having a stroke since you say you're happy.

I think Fred has a good point. Does sound like you are on the hook for straightening it out now - if it can be. Perhaps McKinnon Yamaha inherited the records from Powersports of Texarkana and would be willing to work with you/Yamaha USA on it ?That said, I had the 4 year YES on my 2005 and never needed it. If you get too much runaround it may be worth dropping it to avoid having a stroke since you say you're happy.

this might be a bit off topic, but shows the system is a bit messed up. I bought a bike in a private sale a few years ago with YES and the guy warned me to transfer my name asap as some people were selling bikes etc with the yes and then canceling right after to get the cash. He was the second owner. Luckily i had no issues, but when I traded the bike at the dealer they told me they could not refund, only yami could. I called another dealer and no questions asked cut me a check for the pro rated amount.

on another note.. I just bought a rhino second hand and didnt know it had warranty left. dealer swapped my name without proof of ownership or any documentation. weird...

good luck with your ordeal...

I know it's too late now, but the first owner was irresponsible for not getting what was supposed to be the fix in writing. If he woulda had that to pass onto you, this issue woulda been quickly resolved. I agree to go check with the "new" dealer. I bet your paperwork is there.

Thanks for everybody's input so far. So by what Fred said, the new dealership in Texarkana might be able to "reinspect" the bike to transfer the warranty over to me. If that is so then I am at a loss as to why the lady at Yamaha did not explain this to me. It might also mean that I could possibly move forward that way to regain the remaining warranty. I'll give the dealer another call tomorrow and ask specifically for the warranty transfer instead of trying to straighten out the old record, that might get me somewhere. I just hope they do that without me having to go there with the bike.....that's about 2200 miles away for me :blink:

Cruppelt,

Contact your Area Yamaha Technical Service Supervisor, he/she is the one who may help you and is the ONE that Approves/Denies Work at Authorized Dealerships. (Who usually is an Authorized Yamaha Mechanic as well)

I have done this and it has expedited things for me for some reason!

Just an aside, when one business buys another they do not necessarily acquire all the assets, but they inherit ALL the previous owners liabilities. Most states have laws to that effect.

I'd definitely push the new dealership to fix the mistake they bought. Be willing (and perhaps offer) to pay for a basic service check ($75-$85) while they transfer the YES and get things straight for you. If that doesn't get them on your side, then bring out the big guns, contact your Yamaha Tech Rep as mentioned above and let him know you are 1/2-step from hiring a lawyer so you can own your local dealership.

YES is NOT automatically transferred from PO to NO. It is on the NO's back to make sure the transfer is completed correctly. The YES coverage is property of the PO, independent of the bike ownership. I know this because when I traded my '05 for the new '07, the NO(dealership) was not interested in my YES. So I applied the unused portion of that YES toward the purchase of YES on my '07.

You can get the bike inspected ($$) at any Yamaha dealer to get the remaining YES transferred, but first you need McKinnon to clear up the original VIN/YES issue for you - if they can.

The dealership made some money selling the YES contract while the balance should have gone to an insurer who underwrites the service plan, but isn't a part of Yamaha.

Other than acting as a central repository for keeping the records of verified YES purchases so you can be covered anywhere you go, I don't believe Yamaha USA has a dog in this race. Which would explain Sheree's attitude about it being your issue to resolve..

Do not bother to get the bike inspected.

Do you have the original bill of sale?

Does the original bill of sale state that a 4 year YES was paid fotr?

If yes, then you have a warranty and it ishouldn't be your problem.

Yamaha's agent may have screwed up. Yamaha's agent may even have stolen the money. But the key is that they are Yamaha's agent.

Perhaps, in fact the YES went to the right bike, but the wrong machine was delivered to the original buyer? Maybe the bill of sale was wrong and the YES paperwork correct.

It isn't your problem and it shouldn't have been the previous owner's problem - he has a receipt and it is from a bona fide Yamaha dealer and if the bike has been serviced then Yamaha should be properly stepping up.

If you have the paperwork, pay to fix whatever is wrong, then file against Yamaha AND the dealer in small claims court.

You'll win.

Sorry Bramfrank, but what you said is wrong. That may work for the standard vehicle warranty, but not the YES. The YES extended warranty is a specific contract between Yamaha and the vehicle owner listed on the contract, only in regard to the specific vehicle listed on the contract.

It does have Transfer Rights that are spelled out in writing in the contract exactly as follows:

This Y.E.S. contract is transferrable.

To transfer the
Y.E.S. Contract
from
You
to a subsequent
Customer
, is is required that a transfer of registration and inspection be performed by a
YAMAHA Dealer
. A reasonable dealer imposed fee may be charged for this inspection. The transfer of registration must take place within fifteen (15) days of ownership change. At time of transfer of registration, the
Customer
will be required to provide all required maintenance receipts or the properly completed Maintenance Log to the new owner. Although there is no transfer fee to transfer this contract, any dealer charges for performing any inspections necessary will be the
Customer's
responsibility.

Items that are bolded in the above excerpt have specific definitions elsewhere in the contract.

Thanks everybody for their thoughts and advice, this was really helpful in clearing up my options. I do not have any paperwork on the YES here, nor do I have the original sales document, so I was not aware on the exact clauses, wording and responsibilities. Thank you, Fred! I also received a PM with great contact info (thanks John!) that will help me.

I'll post an update soon. This is why I love this forum!

I know one thing, I'm going back through my paperwork and making sure my YES contract is correct! Bought my bike new last October and the YES shortly after from my local dealer...

I had a similar problem I could never get fixed. I bought the bike new from Michael's Cycle Works in Carson City, NV. (And would never recommend them for a number of customer service and pricing reasons.) They screwed up my YES, and sent my paperwork to Yamaha for a 600 Rhino quad instead of an FJR. I tried unsuccessfully to get Michael's to address that problem, but they refused to do anything. If you've dealt with them, you probably know this is SOP.

When I had the tick fixed at Roseville Yamaha (a dealer I would highly recommend) last year, and had some other YES covered work done (cam chain and tensioner) at the same time, Zac was able to get Yamaha to take care of it, but never to actually fix the screw up that Michael's wouldn't, or to get my YES records at Yamaha changed to reflect the true expiration date, or apparently, even that I have YES coverage. So, with the true expiration date coming up next month, the only thing I'm really out is if I have a YES covered issue occur away from this area before that time. If it occurs here within that time, Zac and Roseville Yamaha will get it taken care of.

Not exactly the same problem as the OP had, but Michael's Cycle Works should be avoided as not giving a shit once they make a sale, and Yamaha isn't exactly helpful in straightening out the problems created by dealers like them. I'm just lucky to have a good dealer with a great service department here.

I got hosed on my YES also since Procycle in Springfield,MO were a bunch of sheisters and went out of business... <_<

Luckily for me, I didn't need to file a claim.

The Yamaha dealer in Texarkana is (was?) owned by a member here. Can't remember his name right now though... :blink:

The Yamaha dealer in Texarkana is (was?) owned by a member here. Can't remember his name right now though... :blink:
lotecredneck?
Is his first name Tony? If so, I got his contact info now thanks to another member here. I already emailed him, and he got back to me immediately, saying he's out traveling but will see what he can do tomorrow. That sounds promising.

EDIT: I answered this myself after doing a quick review of his posts, lotecredneck is indeed Tony. Thanks guys!