BigJohn's Alaskan Adventure - The Trip Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J E A L O U S.

Enjoy yourself. A make it good. I'm living vicariously through you and my standards are high!

<snip> Bad weather all day, really cold with rain and snow between Jasper and Grand Cache AB. Now at Tim Horton's for Breakfast in Grand Prairie, AB.
Panman and I had the same experience in 2011. One day over beers, I'll tell you the story of dressing Panman in the middle of a Grand Cache convenience store...it wasn't pretty.
omg2.gif

--G

"If there is a noticeable reduction in performance to go with the oil consumption, then you may have an issue with the lands on the piston."

No performance reduction, no smoke. Running fine so far, 500 miles today Wonwon to Watson Lake. 1/2 sight glass of oil used.

"If there is a noticeable reduction in performance to go with the oil consumption, then you may have an issue with the lands on the piston."

No performance reduction, no smoke. Running fine so far, 500 miles today Wonwon to Watson Lake. 1/2 sight glass of oil used.

Wonwon, BC to Watson Lake, YT? - 500 miles, the hour spent in the Liard River Hot Springs was the best part of the trip. Finally saw the sun about 8:00 pm. Easy day tomorrow, short ride to Whitehorse, laundry, camp we hope, pick up Buell parts and BMW tires. Tuesday liable to be another off day as we work on the Buell before setting out for Dawson City, we are now ahead of schedule after today's epic ride. 4 Black Bears, innumerable Bison, one deer, one Fox, many Ravens and one lonely Sea gull far from the sea.

FWIW and in case your Buell owner didn't know already, Badweatherbikers.com is a very well run Buell forum with a lot of great folks and quite active. Could prove useful much like this place if you need parts or service help.

Likely the Buell belt will not be the weak link. Their belts are really pretty stout even though they may not look it. The belt tensioner on the other hand....

Likely the Buell belt will not be the weak link. Their belts are really pretty stout even though they may not look it. The belt tensioner on the other hand....
I have never owned a bike with belt drive but from everything I have read, you have to keep them clean because dirt (and especially gravel) will destroy the belt. The Dempster highway, which is all dirt, sand, mud, and gravel will be a good test.

John sounds like a good time except for the foul weather. Been having winter type weather here in Salem. You are seeing a lot of country so enjoy and write about your adventures as time allows. Really enjoying the narratives and looking forward to the whole trip with you.

12 miles north of Watson Lake is Nugget City. The Wolf-It-Down Cafe is located there. Best food on the Alcan.

MCRIDER007 posted: I have never owned a bike with belt drive but from everything I have read, you have to keep them clean because dirt (and especially gravel) will destroy the belt. The Dempster highway, which is all dirt, sand, mud, and gravel will be a good test.
Modern belts, at least Vstar versions, are like car belts: lots of cords with only a little bit of rubber holding the cords together. If the Buell has one like that, it shouldn't be an issue.

Digging the sparse ride report, sir. Retired guys piss me off, so you're pissing me off twice as much as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe travels John, looking forward to following your little jaunt up North as we will be repeating in a couple of years.

Sorry about the lack of pix, they just aren't my thing. I've posted a few in Facebook and will accept friend requests over there. John Langdell.

Good day in Whitehorse, hair cut this mirning, Buell Engine Isolator fabricated by blocks machine shop, works fine. I fixed my water intruded Chinese Driving Lights, disassembling, drying out with hair dryer and then dealing inside and out with copious quantity of Clear Silicone Caulk. They work again. We leave for Dawson City in the morning, will camp half way. Weather finally looking better and predicted to be dry for our assault on the Dempster and Inuvik. I'll try and take some more photos and post here.

Dawson City about 1600 Wednesday, stayed at campground just before town, the cheap phucks don't give out internet password to tent campers, PYYPP!

Yesterday was mostly sunny with brief gloom and a few sprinkles. The road is certainly rideable to Dawson City on an FJR, there are all manner if motorcycles and scooters here for the Dust to Dawson event. I was passed several times yesterday by the same guy on a Suzuki Bergman, he was rolling about 80 mph, much faster than the KLR likes to go.

Not much wildlife yesterday but did have our first Grizzly encounter, Two cars in front hit the brakes hard and stopped in the road, the Griz was alongvthevedge of the right of way about 50 ysrds from the road, loping along at about half speed, obviously headed somewhere. The difference between the Black Bear and the Grizzly has to be seen to be appreciated. Black bears eat everything, Grizzilies eat anything they want to!

Now ensconced in the triple J Hotel, downtown Dawson City,Event HQ. Lots of bikes on the street for this 25th Anniversary of D2D. More later, and I'll try to upload some pictures.

5 months Carver, but I'll accept the adulation. It's a Candy Butt thing you know.