Bike Shops not wanting to install tires they didn't sell.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try bringing auto parts you bought off the internet to your car mechanic. :rolleyes: Best bet is to just learn to put the tires on yourself. ;)
Nobody has less respect for dealerships than I do, but, in order to stay afloat they have to make X amount on what they do in the shop. That X amount is derived from making a certain amount of money on the labor and a certain amount on the parts. You can't walk in with your own parts and expect them to work for half of what they need to stay in business. As soon as the economy went south didn't we see quite a few dealerships closing? :yes: They aren't operating on that big of a margin to begin with.

I'm with Fred. Pay the money or do it yourself. Simple.

Find a real dealership that wants whatever business you want to give them, and then give them all your business.

Life is to short to waste deaing with haters...

Most dealers in my area either don't do internet tires or try to charge insulting prices.

The few that will service my needs are the only ones to ever see my face.

FWIW, here's some pics I posted on the Concours forum showing how I've changed tars.

Normally I use the picnic table outside, but it was TOO COLD, so I epoxied a threaded floor anchor into my basement floor. https://i46.tinypic.com/dxhbi9.jpg

Car Tar Base https://i49.tinypic.com/2gv3iwn.jpg

Connie Wheel Mounted https://i46.tinypic.com/67mykl.jpg

Front Tar Dismounted. https://i48.tinypic.com/23tkv1k.jpg

How I balance them. https://i45.tinypic.com/s46ltu.jpg

Rollerblade Bearings for the balancer. https://i50.tinypic.com/10wus0y.jpg

"Professional mechanics make their living by doing an acceptably good job as fast as possible. I am willing to take however much time is needed to do a job well."

Meh, :rolleyes: sometimes when a POS machine gives me a hard time like my six year old Dodge Ram that I changed the plugs in today at 40K that has rusted enough that 3 out of 8 coil mount bolts snapped off & I'd have to pull the intake manifold to replace the studs, I do just enough to get by. Phuck it, if it starts missing, I'll know where to look. <_<

https://i49.tinypic.com/2yv1bwj.jpg

https://i49.tinypic.com/vo0f4p.jpg :rolleyes: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tires have a warranty, it doesn't come from the dealer. That's not an argument for the dealer not installing.

I've also heard they can't be liable if you've got "new" tires that sat in a warehouse for 2 years. Didn't apply when they wouldn't install my -021, whcih had just come out at the time.

If you pay 40 bucks to ship a tire, they saw you coming from a LONG ways away.

Local Kwak dealer used to do them for 25 bucks if you brought the wheel in off the bike, they won't do it any more. My brother's back in town, he has the tools, so we changed my front last month. My last rear tire was done at (of all places) an independant truck tire place on 17th in Lynn Haven. 20 bucks.

We used to have several one or two brand motorcycle shops here, any of them would mount whatever you brought in. In the last few years a local boat shop & snowmobile dealer expanded into the motorcycle business and bit by bit bought everyone else out making them a mega dealer.

They will not install tires unless bought from them and they were way high on their tires. After some internet browsing at their place, they got embarassed and agreed to price match but then doubled the labor ( i saved $30 overall ) and gouged the heck out of my back rim. When I complained all I got was 'we're sorry'. Yes they certainly are.

Harbor Freight is looking real good.

Unfortunately the FJR rear is the hardest tire in our fleet that we have to change.
The trick is to make sure the bead is in the well of the wheel opposite from where you're levering the bead over the rim. Clamps and wood blocks are methods to accomplish that. The FJR wheel's well is not as deep as some others, which can make it more difficult. With practice, it isn't that bad. Oh, and there's no substitute for professionally formulated tire mounting lubricant, when a gallon of it at NAPA is just under $5.00.

As noted by others, I think I do a better job than most dealers would -- surely not as quickly, but I'm meticulous and will get it right, and use such things as duct tape and cardboard cutouts to protect against scratching my wheels (esp. the expensive aftermarket wheels on my Blackbird that I will not let a dealership mess with).

I can't remember when I paid shipping for internet purchased tires. No -- I did pay $10 for each set of two PR2s I ordered a couple years ago. Total price with shipping on those was $270/pair. Other than that, I've been getting free shipping for most of 5 years now, with the only minimum being that I order at least two tires to get it.

These dealers and shops cry the blues because all of a sudden we have become educated consumers and they can't rip us off anymore. How can an internet seller give you the discount and the local guy can't. And the bullshit that they can't install because their insurance doesn't cover it. That is a bunch of crap and a pussy way out of saying they want to give you a hard time for buying elsewhere. I gave my local shop the opportunity to match price plus fifty each to install tires on the bike (it takes them less than one hour to do both tires so that equals $100. and their hourly rate is 65) which would save me between fifty and 75 dollars and they didn't and I said I will not see you again ( their were other issues). How can they cry about making $150 an hour while paying the mechanic 15 maybe. They are just being pissy and they need to understand we are more than willing to meet them halfway but not all the way and if they go out of business they we will end up doing our own work anyway and by playing this bullshit they are pushing us toward doing our own work and thereby ellimating the need for them. They just don't see the big picture. I have three bikes and do about 25-30k miles per year. That is alot of tires and maintenance work someone will get and if I have to learn so be it.

I can't remember when I paid shipping for internet purchased tires. No -- I did pay $10 for each set of two PR2s I ordered a couple years ago. Total price with shipping on those was $270/pair. Other than that, I've been getting free shipping for most of 5 years now, with the only minimum being that I order at least two tires to get it.
Do you really believe that?

I've always believed that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is absolutely paying for that shipping, and I'll take a guess that it's the person forking over the bucks in the deal. As the buyer you are certainly paying for the shipping. It's just bundled into the price they are charging on the tire(s). They may be the cheapest prices, but they still aren't losing money on the whole exchange (including cost of shipping) or they wouldn't be in business for very long.

One thing that clouds this shipping issue is that high volume shippers get pretty big discounts. When they add "free shipping" it costs them a lot less than what it would cost you (or the smaller bike shop) to ship it, so it appears to be a much bigger concession to the customer than what it actually costs them. When you make a concession to a customer you don't tell them your cost, you tell them the list price, that way they think they are getting a better deal than they actually are. They probably also get the tires at a lower price due to their higher volume.

As in any business it all comes down to their philosophy of operation. You can either make a whole lot of smaller profit sales (encouraging increased volume through deep discounts) or you can make fewer higher profit ones. Thing is, to sell at a higher price you have to offer some thing addition (often less tangible) advantage-wise to the buyer that will make them want to spend the additional money. In this case it would (should) be customer service and convenience. If it ain't convenient and they aren't taking good care of their customers then why would anyone give them the extra money?

Yep,, standard story from dealers around here too...

Years ago a friend show me how to mount and balance MC tires when I found out it was about $75 more

per tire to have it done at a MC shop.

70 & 80 series tires are a piece of cake to spoon on ,,, the 60 series rear that was on my CBR was a wrestling

match ,,, haven't tried the 55 on the rear of the FJR yet,,,

it helps if you have a friend that "knows" what he's doing to show you the ropes,,, and has the right tools...

it is a dirty messy job and there are a few tricks to spooning one on...

,,, and has the right tools...
For those of you wanted to change your own the Harbor Freight changer ... get this:

https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

It is worth every penny. The Harbor Frieght lever works, but you'll sweatin' and swearin' and scrapin' your rim. The Mojo Lever makes it so frikkin' easy I regret the two years I struggled with the Harbor Freight bar.

I have to give a :thumbsup: to my local Cycle Gear store.

You can beat their prices on the internet but they are considerably cheaper than local bike shops.

They have always had the tires in stock.

Bring your wheel in and it's $20 for mount and balance.

I have been in and out in 20 min. with fresh rubber.

They are open 7 days.

It also doesn't hurt that they are only 2 mi. from my house. :D

There's a big difference in the cost of tires between what your local dealer pays for tires and what a national ('net/magazine) tire seller pays for tires -- they buy them by the truckloads. Your local dealer may make quantity deals with a distributor (middleman) but, even then, he may pay as much or more than some advertised prices on popular tires.

It's just a different way of business -- try asking your local grocer to match WalMart's grocery prices.

One of the ways to protect your business is to control every aspect of it -- Henry Ford knew that, it's called 'vertical integration'. Letting-in parts (tires) from outside your control is just asking for trouble (IMO).

If your local dealer prefers to minimize risk and maximize profits? -- well, I think Warren Buffett would applaud him?

And..., your local dealer is under no obligation to do work for you ("we reserve the right...") -- unless, it may be warranty work? They are an independent business and the buck stops with the owner.

Some of my best motorcyling experiences have been connected with good local dealer relationships. YMMV

Do you really believe that?

I've always believed that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is absolutely paying for that shipping, and I'll take a guess that it's the person forking over the bucks in the deal. As the buyer you are certainly paying for the shipping. It's just bundled into the price they are charging on the tire(s). They may be the cheapest prices, but they still aren't losing money on the whole exchange (including cost of shipping) or they wouldn't be in business for very long.
Uhhh, Fred . . . my undergrad major was Economics and I was an Econ T.A. Yep -- I was the prick grading lower division multiple choice AND essay exams in micro and macro economics. My profession is as a, uhhh, . . . "consultant" and "advocate", primarily in complex business and real estate matters and disputes. So, what I'm saying is that your comment really only addresses the out of context shorthand semantics I chose, while my real point was clarified by my posting the gross price I paid. I chose to address "shipping" as a separate component because it was used that way in the comment I was responding to. Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

,,, and has the right tools...
For those of you wanted to change your own the Harbor Freight changer ... get this:

https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

It is worth every penny. The Harbor Frieght lever works, but you'll sweatin' and swearin' and scrapin' your rim. The Mojo Lever makes it so frikkin' easy I regret the two years I struggled with the Harbor Freight bar.
The 'No-mar' mount/demount bar is worth it's weight in gold too. I picked up a used one a few years back and can change a tire in about 5-10 minutes without scratching the rim or using any profanities. I used tire irons and rim protectors before and they got the job done, but with much more time and effort and an occasional scratch from something slipping. I have the HF changer also and use a few strips of duct tape on the clamps to prevent scratches there.

The 'No-mar' mount/demount bar is worth it's weight in gold too. I picked up a used one a few years back and can change a tire in about 5-10 minutes without scratching the rim or using any profanities. I used tire irons and rim protectors before and they got the job done, but with much more time and effort and an occasional scratch from something slipping. I have the HF changer also and use a few strips of duct tape on the clamps to prevent scratches there.
Calling bullshit on the bolded passage. It is not possible to change tires without using profanities. Like changing plugs without beer. If you want people to believe you, you need to scale back on the incredible representations.

Seriously, though, I may need to look into one of those on the basis of recommendations like yours. I use tire irons and rim protectors, and they get the job done, but it sounds like you're getting it done faster and, apparently, using less of your mechanic's vocabulary than I am.

I bought a Cycle Hill changer (rhttps://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer/) last year, made by NoMar and includes the NoMar bar. I have done 6 tire changes so far and have plans to do 6 this riding season. The set up cost over $400, but I figure it will pay for itself in saved money, not comparing my labor to the shops, just counting out of pocket money. Comparing the cost at ProCaliber here in Vancouver, WA, at $25 per tire, I have saved $150 and am looking at $300 at the end of this year, if I don't do somebody else's tires. It should be noted that this quality piece of equipment is worth, at least 1/2 the orig. costs.

What are the advantage?

1. I can remove a tire with 2,500 miles on it and then install a new tire for a 4-8,000 mile trip, and then reinstall the tire with 2,500 miles on it for another 5-6,000 miles. Your dealer will not do that, there by leaving you at the mercy of the Rip Off Yamaha dealer in MASS. or other location while you are on your trip. Not only that, you are at the mercy of the dealer's stock, which may only be the $225 metzler Z6 rear and a full hour at his $85/hour shop rate. (Twin Falls, ID 2009) That's $180 more than I pay for for the rear tire alone.

2. You can change the tires when you have time and not be tied to the dealers schedule. On Sunday or Monday or 10PM for the ride tomorrow.

3. You remove your wheel and you can personally inspect and grease the bearings, gears, axle, inspect the brake pads, etc.

4. You can clean everything.

Now that I have a tire changer stand and bar, I just can't figure out why I waited 13 years before buying the tire changer ? I have been changing tires on the garage floor for 13 years and hated every minute of it, but believed in saving cash. It is worth it.

1. I can remove a tire with 2,500 miles on it and then install a new tire for a 4-8,000 mile trip, and then reinstall the tire with 2,500 miles on it for another 5-6,000 miles. Your dealer will not do that, there by leaving you at the mercy of the Rip Off Yamaha dealer in MASS. or other location while you are on your trip.
Sounds like there may be a story behind that? Which ripoff dealer in MASS got you? (I can't tell which one you are talking about because they are all rip-offs... ;) )

Find a small shop that appreciates your business. Call first to make sure they won't overcharge. Not the type of repair to go to a dealer for. I always buy my tires online. Always find a small repair shop. Never had a problem. Just look around a little, you'll hook up with someone who needs your business. Have him do your inspection and brakes too. Any repair place with half a brain will realize if the do for you what other won't(the tire install, i mean) if you need other work you'll give them that business too.

Getting your machine in the door is half the battle to getting your business. Why do you think car dealers offer free oiul changes ? we all know- Nothing's free!!

I bought a Cycle Hill changer (r<a href="https://"https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer/"" target="_blank">eview</a>) last year, made by NoMar and includes the NoMar bar. I have done 6 tire changes so far and have plans to do 6 this riding season. The set up cost over $400, but I figure it will pay for itself in saved money, not comparing my labor to the shops, just counting out of pocket money. Comparing the cost at ProCaliber here in Vancouver, WA, at $25 per tire, I have saved $150 and am looking at $300 at the end of this year, if I don't do somebody else's tires. It should be noted that this quality piece of equipment is worth, at least 1/2 the orig. costs.
What are the advantage?

1. I can remove a tire with 2,500 miles on it and then install a new tire for a 4-8,000 mile trip, and then reinstall the tire with 2,500 miles on it for another 5-6,000 miles. Your dealer will not do that, there by leaving you at the mercy of the Rip Off Yamaha dealer in MASS. or other location while you are on your trip. Not only that, you are at the mercy of the dealer's stock, which may only be the $225 metzler Z6 rear and a full hour at his $85/hour shop rate. (Twin Falls, ID 2009) That's $180 more than I pay for for the rear tire alone.

2. You can change the tires when you have time and not be tied to the dealers schedule. On Sunday or Monday or 10PM for the ride tomorrow.

3. You remove your wheel and you can personally inspect and grease the bearings, gears, axle, inspect the brake pads, etc.

4. You can clean everything.

Now that I have a tire changer stand and bar, I just can't figure out why I waited 13 years before buying the tire changer ? I have been changing tires on the garage floor for 13 years and hated every minute of it, but believed in saving cash. It is worth it.
4 of us went in on a cycle hill changer / balancer set up. Actually its kinda fun. And for the reasons you state above, we'll never look back.