Bike Shops not wanting to install tires they didn't sell.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a modified Harbor Freight Changer and all Nomar bars and tools including balancers. I do about 5-10 a year for me and me buddies. We take the time to find the true heavy spot on the wheel and that gets the final balance closer. I would not go back to a tire shop even if it were free.

I bought a Cycle Hill changer (r<a href="https://"https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer/"" target="_blank">eview</a>) last year, made by NoMar and includes the NoMar bar. I have done 6 tire changes so far and have plans to do 6 this riding season. The set up cost over $400, but I figure it will pay for itself in saved money, not comparing my labor to the shops, just counting out of pocket money. Comparing the cost at ProCaliber here in Vancouver, WA, at $25 per tire, I have saved $150 and am looking at $300 at the end of this year, if I don't do somebody else's tires. It should be noted that this quality piece of equipment is worth, at least 1/2 the orig. costs.
What are the advantage?

1. I can remove a tire with 2,500 miles on it and then install a new tire for a 4-8,000 mile trip, and then reinstall the tire with 2,500 miles on it for another 5-6,000 miles. Your dealer will not do that, there by leaving you at the mercy of the Rip Off Yamaha dealer in MASS. or other location while you are on your trip. Not only that, you are at the mercy of the dealer's stock, which may only be the $225 metzler Z6 rear and a full hour at his $85/hour shop rate. (Twin Falls, ID 2009) That's $180 more than I pay for for the rear tire alone.

2. You can change the tires when you have time and not be tied to the dealers schedule. On Sunday or Monday or 10PM for the ride tomorrow.

3. You remove your wheel and you can personally inspect and grease the bearings, gears, axle, inspect the brake pads, etc.

4. You can clean everything.

Now that I have a tire changer stand and bar, I just can't figure out why I waited 13 years before buying the tire changer ? I have been changing tires on the garage floor for 13 years and hated every minute of it, but believed in saving cash. It is worth it.
I likey. Now if I can just find a little extra money laying around and a place to put it. Where did you mount yours? Concrete floor or hitch?

GP

Bike shops are not your friend they try to be but the bottom line is they are there to make money!! Its just that simple!! We ride for fun they do it for A living!!!

Bike shops are not your friend they try to be but the bottom line is they are there to make money!! Its just that simple!! We ride for fun they do it for A living!!!
"You see, in the mart of competitive commerce...", those businesses who do not cater to prospective customers and provide quality services at competetive prices may be destined to fail.

Many motorcycle shops have a successful track record for decades -- they didn't achieve success by alienating the customer. :rolleyes:

Making money is the way we all keep score of who is good and who isn't... ;) :)

Ditto on the Cycle Hill changer. I bought a HF changer and after seeing what cheapo construction it was, sold it on CL. The CH changer works great and I have yet to scratch the rim. I use strips of plastic cut from bleach and detergent bottles as rim protectors.

Do you suppose Denny's would cook bacon and eggs for you if you brought them with you? I take an ad from a magazine in to the dealer and ask him if he can match the price on tires. He usually will.

OK since I started this let me finish it. I ended up returning the tires to the online company, being on vacation with no tools or place to work on it. Next I ordered the tires from Barneys Yamaha of St Petersburg. They were only $20. more incuding the tax. no haggling price I might add. The tires came in ontime and they had me in and out for $80.00 in less than 2 hours and my bike washed, WOW! Thanks guys, EXCELLENT SERVICE! Thanks for all of your support and ideas this FJR Forum you guys rock. :yahoo: I will look in to changing mine at home next time but if your in St Petersburg Fl and want a fair deal, stop in at Barney's.

I will look in to changing mine at home next time but if your in St Petersburg Fl and want a fair deal, stop in at Barney's.
I love a happy ending and a good dealer report.

There are 2 dealers in my area who say they will be competitive on tire prices, and they are.

1.) Roseville Yamaha, east of Sacramento

(Often referred to on this forum)

2.) Sacramento Honda, in South Sacramento off Hwy 99 @ Sheldon Rd.

Do you suppose Denny's would cook bacon and eggs for you if you brought them with you? I take an ad from a magazine in to the dealer and ask him if he can match the price on tires. He usually will.

None of the dealers in my area will "negotiate" on tire prices. There is one dealer who sells tires for cost but charges $45 each to mount them. They will not negotiate the mounting charge either because they say it is their only way to make money. The dealer who services my bike wants way too much for tires, but if I take the wheels off the bike, they will mount my internet tires for $20 each.