Bike to Bike Communication??? What works the best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim/Dawn

Reaction score
Hi,

We've been looking at the Chatterbox XBi and were wondering what everybody else uses? Any ideas' on which ones work best.....Tim

:dribble:

Check This Thread...

CB's are pretty universal these days and that's what I use

J&M is my choice

Note: there are now wireless products from J&M that bluetooth the entire system, but it's kinda expensive and I don't know personally how stable that technology is. Also, feel free to email and communicate with J&M's president/owner:

John Lazzeroni

J&M® Corporation

Lazzeroni Inc®

1415 South Cherry Avenue

Tucson AZ 85713

800-358-0881

[email protected]

www.Jmcorp.com

www.Lazzeroni.com

John has been very helpful to me with much information, opinions, tech help, and superior customer service. He seems to answer his email on a daily basis, usually in the evenings. He's never not answered an email I've sent his way. This stuff is not rocket science, but complicated by the many, many options one can go. Just getting the right headsets and cords for the setup you choose to go with is a chore. Many pick the wrong one on their own and have to go through the hassle of exchanges, etc. (ask me how I know). I now call customer service or ask John or his technical support team via email if I can do this? and if I do, what stuff by part number do I need to make it work.

I pair my Zumo 550 with a one of these flavors of Cardo Scaler Rider headset or a Motorola HS830 Helmet Headset. I have both in different helmets I wear for different reasons on different bikes. I all work fine for me bluetoothed to my phone and zumo.

I also have mounted a J&M JMCB-2003-DU dual communication between rider & passenger (intercom) CB radio with weather radio and MP3/Ipod input to play my tunes and the relatively inexpensive basic J&M Headsets I have. There are a number of headsets to consider. But, be careful to purchase the 6 pin J&M amplified headsets that work with the J&M unit and not any others:

from their website:

Important Note: The JMCB-2003 is a J&M 6-pin audio system that requires the pre-amplified microphone signal provided by our Dual-Mode (ECD/ICD/BCD/CD prefixed) helmet headsets along with the #HC-ZJM or #HC-PJM lower section hook-up cord (please see the headset/helmet pages).

I use a Harley bracket it came with from purchasing from another rider and bent the bottom tab 90 degrees and drilled the hole bigger to use the threaded mirror mount hole on the clutch clamp.

New to me is the Zumo plus integrated harness (expensive) to hook all kinds of periphials to the CB unit ZUMO550/JMCB-2003 Specific Stereo/Nav/Cell/Radar Audio Integration Terminal JCB03-CFRG-ZM0550

I have pics in my flickr account - see Clicky below in my signature

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Autocom and Starcomm are the two major players IMHO. Baehr is another high-priced alternative.

As for what works the best, most will tell you that whatever system they have is the best. Tough to determine which is the 'best'. None are perfect.

Autocom and Starcomm are the two major players IMHO. Baehr is another high-priced alternative.
As for what works the best, most will tell you that whatever system they have is the best. Tough to determine which is the 'best'. None are perfect.
Gunny. If you're considering a "wired" system.

As far as I can tell, they (the "wired" systems) are all almost identical. I ended up with the Starcom. The thing that made the Starcom the best choice for me was the volume control on the handlebars; it was the only one with that option. Beyond that, I couldn't find see much of a difference.

Then again, I don't have any experience with the Blutooth systems. They seem to have advanced quite a bit in the last two years.

What is 'wired' "Bike to Bike Communication"?

242673796_2c165d960f.jpg

A ridding friend and I just orderd the Collett "Microphone" systems, they are suposed to mail out today or tomorrow. I will let you know how they work in a week or so.

Tim

What is 'wired' "Bike to Bike Communication"?
Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. So you can yell louder...

OK, I just saw the "Bike to Bike" in the header. Dummy me. :headbonk: Still, the wired systems use GMRS radios for bike to bike, so....

A ridding friend and I just orderd the Collett "Microphone" systems, they are suposed to mail out today or tomorrow. I will let you know how they work in a week or so.
Tim

+1! I've had mine over a year now. Bang for the buck is great!