Bike-to-Bike Communications...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nusman68

Reaction score
In the market for bike-to-bike communication; have a long trip coming up & the wife will be on her own bike. I was initially thinking CB radio for the best range, 40 channels, runs off bike power, ability to talk on CH9 or 19, some units have NOAA weather channel ability, etc.

Now I see the latest GMRS models have an extra watt of power, with many advertising 10 - 12 mile range, (which probably translates to 7-9 in the 'real world' which would still be way more than enough) and now have the same NOAA weather channel ability; however power would come from batteries. I'm sure the install would be less complicated though since I wouldn't have to run power/antenna leads, etc. (I have seen the Midland 75-822 'compact' CB with built-in antenna, external antenna option).

And yes, I'll no doubt be running whatever I get through one of the 'black boxes' on the market (i.e. starcom, autocomm, et al- that's a whole different discussion).

SO, my questions: How dramatic is the performance difference between the two? I would assume the CB would be better given the obvious differences, but perhaps that is not the case anymore; CB channels may be routinely congested. (Yeah, I know..how far is 'up'?). From what I've seen, the GMRSs seem more popular in groups (excluding Wings)..... If so, then I ASSume I'd have a better chance at group communication if needed. And finally, as far as mounting considerations are concerned, I would think it is a draw given all the numerous tech mount/RAM mount choices out there.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about ready to buy a Motorola GMRS radio to go with my Starcom system. A BMW riding friend of mine just bought the same radio. An "informal" test just holding the radio by hand was good at around 1 mile. More results later.

I tried a CB so I could communicate with riding buddies who had built in equipment (i.e. Goldwing and Ultra Classic). The engine noise has horrible. So bad it kept canceling the music. It was totally unacceptable. I was using a Starcom which appeared to be fine. It was just typical CB engine noise. I'm sure I could have gone the GMRS route but it was pointless as then I could only talk top myself. not much of a conversation. What all this amounts to is I would avoid using a CB.

Has anyone considered Marine band? I have a Uniden marine band handheld that was less than $100, has choice of 1 watt or 5 watt transmitting powers, and is waterproof. It also comes with a 12v adapter and a rechargeable battery. It also has weatherband. The range on land is at least as good as a gmrs, it should be little to no traffic, and you can 1 watt if you are worried about it. I have been thinking about bike to bike, and have this lying around. Just wondered if anyone else had tried it on a bike. Of course it will probably be only you and your friends on the system, but that can be nice, too.

I tried a CB so I could communicate with riding buddies who had built in equipment (i.e. Goldwing and Ultra Classic). The engine noise has horrible. So bad it kept canceling the music. It was totally unacceptable. I was using a Starcom which appeared to be fine. It was just typical CB engine noise. I'm sure I could have gone the GMRS route but it was pointless as then I could only talk top myself. not much of a conversation. What all this amounts to is I would avoid using a CB.
I have a J&M CB and have no problems with engine noise.

I have a J&M CB and have no problems with engine noise.
To you and Afterburn.

I should clarify. I was using a handset which I'm sure wasn't designed for automotive (or motorcycle) use. It was mentioned that a Starcom or Autocom might be used. Therefore I wouldn't go with a CB in that configuration.

Afterburn even though it's the "EMI emissions" problem isn't it inherent to CB's? Just asking. I don't know.

Also I have no problem with the J&M unit working. I just didn't want to mount an external antenna.

Wasn't intended to create a stir. Just didn't work for my application.

Use of CB is dependent upon your needs..

Talking to buddies or other bikers = don't need cb.

Truckers use CB. Finding out the good eating joints, why traffic is stopped, and realy nasty vulgar jokes and language is what cb is about!

Afterburn even though it's the "EMI emissions" problem isn't it inherent to CB's? Just asking. I don't know.
No, the coils and sparkplugs put out some nasty EMI spikes, and even a FM radio can pick those up. Handsets are typically not shielded as much as build in equipment and more sensative for EMI noise because of it.

That said, modern bikes and cars *should* normally not put out that much to make it a real problem.

Has anyone considered Marine band? I have a Uniden marine band handheld that was less than $100, has choice of 1 watt or 5 watt transmitting powers, and is waterproof. It also comes with a 12v adapter and a rechargeable battery. It also has weatherband. The range on land is at least as good as a gmrs, it should be little to no traffic, and you can 1 watt if you are worried about it. I have been thinking about bike to bike, and have this lying around. Just wondered if anyone else had tried it on a bike. Of course it will probably be only you and your friends on the system, but that can be nice, too.
IIRC, marine band is illegal for non-vessel use in the USA. You can get a special land station license, but it too is intended for communicating only with vessels. Might get in trouble with the Feds!

GMRS requires an FCC license. FRS (or whatever it's called) doesn't but has a short range in exchange for that lessening of restrictions. In either case, you'll get BtB comm but that's it. If you need to use your Comm for traffic or emergency comm to someone else, you'll probably be SOL.

CB is old tech but is more widely used, so comm to someone other than your one riding buddy is much more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
GMRS requires an FCC license. FRS (or whatever it's called) doesn't but has a short range in exchange for that lessening of restrictions. In either case, you'll get BtB comm but that's it. If you need to use your Comm for traffic or emergency comm to someone else, you'll probably be SOL.
CB is old tech but is more widely used, so comm to someone other than your one riding buddy is much more likely.
Has anyone bothered getting their FCC license for the GMRS?

That was kinda my point with the marine band, too. I don't see any enforcement, and think that my plain black uniden would go unnoticed by the fuzz. I am not LOOKING to break the law, but the Uniden seems to have all the features I require for motorcycle use. I carry my cell phone for emergencies. It would be nice to only talk to who you wanted, without having to listen to someone else. I just need to convince anyone I ride with that is worth talking to that it is the way to go!

Has anyone bothered getting their FCC license for the GMRS?
As a pilot, I have had an FCC license for years. If it is somehow not the correct license for my upcoming radio, how would they catch me? Would I be persued by an FCC vehicle? :ph34r:

Why do you need an FCC license as a pilot? You using a HAM radio up there at FL29?? LOL

As pilots, we dont need FCC license to use Aviation band radios.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300 and Cessna Cardinal pilot

Would I be persued by an FCC vehicle?
[baratone announcer's voice]

ADVENTURES OF THE FCC!

title credits scroll over the opening scenes of ninja-clad fereral agents busting down doors and cuffing unlicensed radio operators as well as people TiVo-ing the World Series or Superbowl (without express permission).

A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION!

[in Color]

Chaps,

Have a Starcom Advance. Want to buy, install and use a CB. Questions.

1. Please recomend a decent CB (robust, not too big, whip aerial OK, water and dust proof) and mounting (alright not a question as such). I will have to buy via over internet.

2. How do the controls work (PTT ?) and where are they mounted ?

3. Does the Starcom Advance PTT input work with CBs ?

Cheers,

Paul.

That was kinda my point with the marine band, too. I don't see any enforcement, and think that my plain black uniden would go unnoticed by the fuzz. I am not LOOKING to break the law, but the Uniden seems to have all the features I require for motorcycle use. I carry my cell phone for emergencies. It would be nice to only talk to who you wanted, without having to listen to someone else. I just need to convince anyone I ride with that is worth talking to that it is the way to go!
If you are not LOOKING to break the law, why do it? There are plenty of other, legal, options for you. Your profile doesn't indicate where you live, so maybe there is little marine traffic where you ride (no oceans, rivers, or lakes nearby). However, since you already have the radio I assume there are boats in your area. It may seem to you unlikely to happen, but I would just hate to think that in the worst case an emergency call from a boat was getting trashed because of some idiots transmitting motorcycle chit chat (yeah, I know there are other channels besides 16 and 9, but why be a jerk?). Do the right thing and stay off the marine band. Just because you have a low chance of getting caught dosen't mean it is OK. You might consider getting a ham license (with the relaxed code requirements, anyone can pass the test) and getting onto the 2 meter band, pretty much the same range and transmission properties as the marine band and a lot more useful for travel on the roads. Plus, you will be welcome and make friends on the ham bands instead of getting people pissed off. I probably sound preachy here, but I lived aboard a boat for 9 years and (especially outside the US) had to put up with idiots using the marine band illegally for all kinds of non-marine crap that made it difficult for boat to boat communications. I'm also a ham and can tell you that there are always a lot of clear 2M (or other) frequencies for doing just what you want to do. End of sermon.