Bike won't start after fill up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pensacolafjr

Reaction score
:yahoo: Newbie here with a very strange problem..................

about a month ago I filled my bike up and it would not start...weird since I rode it there.................after a nice push start and clutch dump she started up and haven't had a problem ........

I haven't been riding her to much but starting her up every other day in the garage.......this past Saturday I too her out for about an hour running around town and some back roads and went to fill her up before going home..........same thing happened.....wouldn't turn over.......pushed her off to the side and was fooling around a little with the mileage reset button and after about a minute or so tried to start her up and she fired right up........ :yahoo:

this is very confusing and I don't know what to do :unsure:

any suggestions????????????????????????/

Does it turn over like the starter's trying or does pressing the button do nothing? If it turns over does it try to fire at all? You try wide open while you're turning it over?

Or, does it all seem related to jiggling of the ignition switch? If so, then there have been a few reported issues of ignition switch failures over time in older FJRs.

How old is the battery? Are the battery terminals tight? Your may have a dead short in it, (comes and goes). I'd get it load tested to rule it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it turn over like the starter's trying or does pressing the button do nothing? If it turns over does it try to fire at all? You try wide open while you're turning it over?
Or, does it all seem related to jiggling of the ignition switch? If so, then there have been a few reported issues of ignition switch failures over time in older FJRs.

it does nothing...........when I press the button..........................

the only two times it did it was when I filled up...that's what makes it so strange...... :angry:

How old is the battery? Are the battery terminals tight? Your may have a dead short in it, (comes and goes). I'd get it load tested to rule it out.

not sure///I'll have to check.....my question is why only when I go get gas.............

:yahoo: Newbie here with a very strange problem..................about a month ago I filled my bike up and it would not start...weird since I rode it there.................after a nice push start and clutch dump she started up and haven't had a problem ........

I haven't been riding her to much but starting her up every other day in the garage.......this past Saturday I too her out for about an hour running around town and some back roads and went to fill her up before going home..........same thing happened.....wouldn't turn over.......pushed her off to the side and was fooling around a little with the mileage reset button and after about a minute or so tried to start her up and she fired right up........ :yahoo:

When you get gas you put the side stand down which has a circuit to keep you from starting the bike or something like that if you are not in neutral or have the clutch in, or something like that. Perhaps the switch mechinism is sticking? Just a thought.

When you get gas you put the side stand down which has a circuit to keep you from starting the bike or something like that if you are not in neutral or have the clutch in, or something like that. Perhaps the switch mechinism is sticking? Just a thought.
Good observation. I know many people that start their bikes in gear. If the side stand is down you'll get nothing. I've done that before a couple times. I had to think and remember what I was doing. I have even fired it up, dump it in gear, with the side stand down, and... BAM! Dead. :huh:

That's probably it!

Try starting the bike in neutral with the sidestand up. If it works, but shuts off even though it's in neutral...it's an intermittent sidestand switch.

:yahoo: Newbie here with a very strange problem..................about a month ago I filled my bike up and it would not start...weird since I rode it there.................after a nice push start and clutch dump she started up and haven't had a problem ........

Your probably right on that.. I've just cleaned/lubed the side stand switch yesterday on my 04.

Its not hard to do, Its easier to remove the main left food rest/kick stand bracket to get to the switch which is loctitied on with two phillips head screws. Once the switch is removed from the foot peg assembly, 4 small screws hold on the cover. Mine was pretty clean, however I took it apart, cleaned it and re-lubed with lots of di-lectric grease. There are 2 springs in there, ones fairly large (hard too loose) and the other one pretty much stays where it belongs. Once re-assembeled, 40 foot lbs on the two main bolts (also tie into the engine block-also had some loctite on them).

I didn't remove the harness, did it right next to the bike atop a short stool.. (Did my FZ6 too, same switch)

Hope this helps... Scott

It's a 2003. Sounds like the ignition switch to me. That's the way mine started. If you run thru the diagnostics screen you can see if an error has occured due to the sidestand switch. It is either error 16 or 19. (the other is the TPS). I'm sure someone will clarify which is which. If there are no errors then focus on the ignition.

If it turns out to be the ignition switch, ther is lots of good info here to help get it resolved.

Good luck,

Canadian FJR

many thanks to all............you've given me plenty to think about and go check................I just can't remember what I did on saturday..............I do know that when I moved the bike away from the pumps I was sitting with the stand up when she fired up again.....

when I run her in the garage the sidestand is down and in neutral and I don't have a problem.........

thanks again everyone.................I'll keep ya posted...................

pensacola,

Clean the spooge from the Kickstand area and around where the Kickstand Relay switch is... it may be sticking. This will cause the bike not to start.

So here's another possibility:

If you try to start the bike when it's still in gear you must have 2 things. The kickstand MUST be up and the clutch must be pulled in. I have 2 times in the tenure of my '05 when the clutch switch got crusty and would not allow starting (either kickstand up or down) unless I first put the bike in neutral. That switch is not weather sealed and will go intermittent at the drop of a hat.

Much has been written about this subject over the years.

Most chgd out the battery. I did not.

My problem was like yours. It only would happen when the engine was hot and even when driving for hours.

1. Have battery load tested.

2. Ck voltage at battery before starting. With meter still conected, start engine and take voltage reading while cranking over, before the headlites turn on and then after the lites come on.

On mine, the engine would start to crank over, but when the lites came on it would kill the engine and reset the clock and zero the trip odometer.

3. Load test battery again, if you want too, but at least make sure it's fully chgrd.

4. This is where most would chg out the battery, but mine always load tested good.

5. The advise I got from car buff friends was to ck the starter, starter relay, and ground connections to the engine.

6. I was under the YES warranty, and took it to my dealer.

They replaced the starter. This occured with about 25k on the bike. My problems started at about 10k miles.

I never did replace the battery, and put another 2 yrs and 65k miles on the bike. (the bike was totaled in a left turning cager crash 2005 with 90k on the bike).

Fred

Mine wouldn't start after it got hot and sat for a few minutes. Battery was the cause.

I see it's an 04 also. I'd say you might have the same problem.

:jester: