bike wouldn't engage gear (AE)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this code means?

sh__48

Yesterday while riding my 2006 AE in some stop and go traffic the bike would not move, engage the gear. In fact it would not shift out of any gear. I could rev the throttle but nothing… might have been in neutral. Dash told me 1st gear. I tried the grip shifter and the foot shifter... nothing, nada.

This code is what was flashing on the dash. Pushed the bike off the road onto the sidewalk. Turned the bike off and then restarted. It’s "fine" now but I want to know what this code was telling me.

Thanks for any info.

Yeah, it means the YCCS chip took a sh*t, and you are located in the the lower 48 states... :p

(couldn't resist!). Standby....I'm sure you'll get a 'real' response from an 06 owner shortly... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
SH_ _48

is the code for improper idle adjusment! If that doesn't fix it -- the manual says it's a defective fast idle unit to R/R the throttle bodies. I think the code will still be in the malfunction history.

... terrific. :(

Idle was adjusted by Yamaha service during my 600 mile service. They adjusted it because they said it was too low. 800 to 1100 rpm.

I've got about 2500 miles on my AE.

Thanks for the info. :clapping:

At least I'll have some intel when I go back to service.

... terrific. :(
Idle was adjusted by Yamaha service during my 600 mile service. They adjusted it because they said it was too low. 800 to 1100 rpm.

I've got about 2500 miles on my AE.

Thanks for the info. :clapping:

At least I'll have some intel when I go back to service.
This is an interesting post because this is the exact same thing that happened to my AE in the thread "my AE had a hiccup". I did not notice a code, but then I wasnt looking either. I was also in heavy stop and go traffic, and I also have my idle turned up to 1100 RPM. Mainly because I feel it makes it shift better. Perhaps there is a relationship to the situations.

Roy

I was also wondering if it had to due with overheating. While my temp reading was not all the way, it only had two bars to go. I thought that had something to do with it since it was hot on Sunday here in So Cal.

Can anyone tell me what this code means?
sh__48

Yesterday while riding my 2006 AE in some stop and go traffic the bike would not move, engage the gear. In fact it would not shift out of any gear. I could rev the throttle but nothing… might have been in neutral. Dash told me 1st gear. I tried the grip shifter and the foot shifter... nothing, nada.

This code is what was flashing on the dash. Pushed the bike off the road onto the sidewalk. Turned the bike off and then restarted. It’s "fine" now but I want to know what this code was telling me.

Thanks for any info.
It happened to me several times since the brackets were added to the shifting rod. I had set the idle right at 1200 rpms. Needs to be down at 1000-1100 rpms to keep the clutch disengaged. Lower rpm idle and you should have no more problems.

It happened to me several times since the brackets were added to the shifting rod. I had set the idle right at 1200 rpms. Needs to be down at 1000-1100 rpms to keep the clutch disengaged. Lower rpm idle and you should have no more problems.

I'm supposed to be at 1100 rpms per dealership after 600 mile service. *shrug*

Just gotta find the time to go over to the dealership to see if the can diagnosis the code I saw.

SH_ _48

is the code for improper idle adjusment! If that doesn't fix it -- the manual says it's a defective fast idle unit to R/R the throttle bodies. I think the code will still be in the malfunction history.

Got off the phone with the dealership. Yes... they said it's a fast idle. They're keeping the bike until Monday so they can talk with Yamaha because they are still conducting diagnostics...

And remember, this is the same dealership that adjusted my idle at 600 miles because it was too low. *rolleyes*

I have just over 3,000 miles on my AE.

the dealer should also verify the RPM for clutch engagement after the idle adjustment is straightened out.

The two adjustments must be in balance -- the RPM for the motor, and the setting that the clutch starts to engage from 00 Mph. Clicky

Well, got the bike back today. I asked if they did both adjustments and they said yes.

Throttle response seems a bit different: there seems to more of a delay when rolling the throttle on, whether from a start or while moving.

I still have the abrupt "jerk" when I roll the throttle off when slowing down.

What I did notice was when I started it when it was cold, it was at 1500 rpms while warming up. It was never this high before.

Dunno, maybe the PCIII will be in my future. In a couple of weeks I should be at 4000 miles for service. After that I may pull the trigger on it...

Don't have much more of an update.

Well, got the bike back today. I asked if they did both adjustments and they said yes.
Throttle response seems a bit different: there seems to more of a delay when rolling the throttle on, whether from a start or while moving.

I still have the abrupt "jerk" when I roll the throttle off when slowing down.

What I did notice was when I started it when it was cold, it was at 1500 rpms while warming up. It was never this high before.

Dunno, maybe the PCIII will be in my future. In a couple of weeks I should be at 4000 miles for service. After that I may pull the trigger on it...

Don't have much more of an update.
Idle is higher when cold. This is normal.

[

The idle on the AE seems to have a very large effect on how the bike shifts and when it disengages the clutch. The reason you have the roll off jerk is because they turned your idle down, and its probably too low as they wanted to make sure the light did not come back on. Mine seems to work best at just under 1100 RPM. This is going to make a big difference in your enjoyment of your bike.

You need to play with yours idle to find where it works best for you. And you do not need to take it to the dealership to do this. Heck you dont even need to get off the motorcycle. Just reach down on the right side and turn the little knob that yamaha conveniently provided for this purpose.

Roy

[
The idle on the AE seems to have a very large effect on how the bike shifts and when it disengages the clutch. The reason you have the roll off jerk is because they turned your idle down, and its probably too low as they wanted to make sure the light did not come back on. Mine seems to work best at just under 1100 RPM. This is going to make a big difference in your enjoyment of your bike.

You need to play with yours idle to find where it works best for you. And you do not need to take it to the dealership to do this. Heck you dont even need to get off the motorcycle. Just reach down on the right side and turn the little knob that yamaha conveniently provided for this purpose.

Roy
At my 600 mile service I was told the idle was at 800 which was too low. They adjusted it up to 1100 per factory spec. However, at this idle is when I started having the SH__48 code. Granted it took about 1500 miles for it to happen the first time (after the 600 mile service). BUT I did have the roll off jerk even at 800 rpms.

I dunno, I was under the impression that the roll off jerk was from the fuel injection and/or throttle spring tension. I wouldn't think it had anything to do with the idle because when I REALLY notice it is when traveling at speed - when I'm well above idle rpms.

*shrug*

Well, it happened again to me. SH__48.

Twice in the same week. Common thing with it this time is bike is at least 3/4 full on temp bars (which is kinda hot) and it was a slow stop. Apply the brake and it won't move after that. RPMs do get up to about 1,400 but the only way the bike will do anything is if I completely turn it off. Obviously this is not good with traffic behind you at a stop light.

They are trouble-shooting with Yamaha directly. I think they are going to blame the PCIII. They have disconnected it see if they can duplicate the issue. I laughed when they told me this because it's not all the time I get the code.

I told them the last time I did not have the PCIII so that should not be the issue.

Oh well...