Bill Mayer Saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
I think i have decided on a bill mayer saddle.

My bike gets wet a lot as i ride in the rain and it set outside at work and gets rained on.

I am concerned about leather soaking up water and me having a wet rear every time i ride for a week while it drys out.

However they claim leather is cooler and water will not be a problem if you keep it conditioned.

So who has had leather and how did it perform for you?

thanks in advance

john

I got leather from BMS and have not had problems with it. It has gotten wet and gets left out in the sun the one day a week I go into the office. I would definitely get leather again.

If you have stitching and the seat is sitting such that water will pool (on center stand), that's a consideration. I have a Corbin with no stitching, so not really an issue. Less of an issue if parked on the side stand. However, leather is always preferable over vinyl IMHO. Just treat it right, with regular cleanings with saddle soap, and if stitched, why not rub a bit of Dubbin into the stitch lines. You could always make or get a rain cover for the seat.

I have a leather one and never found it to be a problem with rain but it is quite slippery with riding gear on. I'm not sure how the vinyl stacks up but it may be one of your considerations when choosing the seat.

I have a leather one and never found it to be a problem with rain but it is quite slippery with riding gear on. I'm not sure how the vinyl stacks up but it may be one of your considerations when choosing the seat.

I have had both Rick and Bill Meyer saddle, and both vinyl and leather. If you wear riding pants and have a passenger, vinyl is the best option. Leather is ridiculously slick with synthetic pants on.

I have a Bill Mayer leather seat, and love it. It gets the occasional day of either rain or sun, and it still looks and works great. I have not had a problem with slickness when using my riding pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Rick Mayer in vinyl. I tend to ride close to the tank which is a good thing, because with my riding pants on I slide forward into the tank at the first bump in the road. Problem is the 'sweet spot' is back about 2" from my normal riding position. I swear if you time lapsed me riding on a long trip sliding forward, the pushing myself back, it'd look like I was humping the tank.

I'm gonna take a stab at building the front portion up a bit to eliminate the sliding. But failing that, I'll spring the bucks for a Russell.

Also have a Bill Mayer leather seat - one of the best upgrades ever for an FJR - super comfy. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's been really wet plenty of times when touring with zero problems. The Bill Mayer design doesn't have excessive seams or stitching where water can enter or get under the leather. I do however, keep the seat well rubbed with the beeswax cream/conditioner he sends with the seat - I'm sure that helps. Nice folks to work with as well.

KW

I've always used Langlitz Leather Conditioner on my jacket and seat. Excellent product. I believe it is the same thing as Sno Seal. They don't have an on-line store but it can be ordered at 503-235-0959.

I ride my FJR or V-Strom to work every day and they are parked outside. If it rains, it rains and I can't do much about it. For my FJR I have a Russell seat and a stock seat. I use the stock seat daily and the Russell for long rides and trips. Since I have a stock seat for daily use I wish I had the Russell in leather for trips. However since the V-strom is used much less for long rides I have decided to get Bill Mayer seat in vinyl. With vinyl and the minimal stitching of the Bill Mayer saddle I won't worry about daily exposure to the elements. If I only used a bike for pleasure trips I would have leather seats, however for a daily ride frequently parked outside I would stick with vinyl.

Thanks again for all the input it has helped me to decide. I decided to send it in today and leather is what i put on the order form

I guess i will have to learn to do regular conditioning as it will get wet many times / year and set in the sun on 100+ deg days.

john

I have had one leather and the rest vinyls. If you wear riding gear then there is no reason to spend the extra $$ for leather. Leather more maintenance. I have had a Russell in vinyl for almost 7 years now and it still looks new. I had a Rick Mayer, corbin and stock all vinyl. I have a Bill Mayer on my DL 650, vinyl. Of course you can get a rain cover for the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts