Bill Mayer Saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Jr. is in Northern California (Rick). He says:
My Father, Bill Mayer, taught me to sew when I was 12 years old. He taught me saddle building in 1975. I am the only Mayer that built saddles before he passed away. I have personally built thousands of custom saddles.
Just booked my appointment!
Ah, brotherly love...

I'm calling Bill Mayer today.
Calling Bill would be a seriously long-distance call.
Sr., yes. Jr. is in Ojai, CA building bitchin' saddles just like the old man. ;)
You mean Rick and Rocky. Those are the 2 Mayers that are still building seats (different companies).
Correct. I ASSumed your reference to 'long distance' was to Sr. up thar behind the Pearly Gates...

Sr., yes. Jr. is in Ojai, CA building bitchin' saddles just like the old man. ;)
You mean Rick and Rocky. Those are the 2 Mayers that are still building seats (different companies).
Correct. I ASSumed your reference to 'long distance' was to Sr. up thar behind the Pearly Gates...
It was. But there is no "Jr." as the kids are Rick and Rocky.

Toecutter - I'd be interested in how your trip goes. I ordered my seat via phone/email/snail mail. I did the measurement (hips/inseam) deal along with 2 x pictures (pilot/pilot and pillion) and just wonder how your experience will differ. Maybe there's more info I can send him based on how your ride-in goes. Thanks, Jim

It shouldn't have much different results but I'll post up when it's over. The only advantage I can think of is that he can adjust the seat right there, after a test ride, as opposed to shipping the seat back for adjustment.

It was. But there is no "Jr." as the kids are Rick and Rocky.
Bill 'Rocky' Mayer, Owner of BMS (Bill Mayer Saddles). But you're right about the Jr./Sr. thing... from Rocky's site:

Bill Mayer, known as the Saddle Meister and Dr. of Buttology, worked tirelessly since 1971 perfecting his designs and materials which he handcrafted to build the finest of touring saddles. He was the inventor of the original "Day-Long" saddle. The patent and name were sold to Russell. In his later years, he perfected new seat designs using varying densities of foam instead of built-in spring mechanisms to achieve a custom fit. His final designs are used today by his eldest son, Rocky. Prior to his death, he formed a partnership with Rocky (Bill Mayer III). With his years of riding experience and knowledge given to him by his father, Rocky continues the legacy using the exclusive foam core technology of his father's design. Rocky personally hand fits, positions and carves each and every new Bill Mayer Saddleto your exact specifications. As you have seen and heard, the tradition continues!
Which also may explain why the brothers don't get along, or so I've heard...

On the Blackbird, I only have to stop every 460 miles for gas. Having a 4.8 gallon aux fuel cell helps. :D
Just out of curiosity: What's the difference between an "aux fuel cell" and the somewhat less glamorous sounding "secondary gas tank"? :dntknw:

Do those things have some sort of honeycomb structure on the inside to keep the fuel from sloshing around in the twisties?

Cheers,

Jim

No difference. For some reason, motorcycle lingo for an "auxilliary fuel tank" is "fuel cell".

Just a relatively simple system where an extra fuel tank is plumbed into the main tank. No fancy baffling inside the aux tanks.

No fancy baffling inside the aux tanks.
*ahem*

What SkooterG meant to say was: "there are no fancy baffling inside the Dean Tanji aux tanks".... (that I am aware of, anyway).

However, the Top Gun Aux Cells from FJRGoodies.com do indeed have anti-sloshing baffles built internally that also serve as structural cross-members.

Many other commercially-available aux cells (Fuel Safe, JAZ, etc) have anti-slosh foam in the cell to accomplish this job.

Last edited by a moderator:
No fancy baffling inside the aux tanks.
*ahem*

What SkooterG meant to say was: "there are no fancy baffling inside the Dean Tanji aux tanks".... (that I am aware of, anyway).

However, the Top Gun Aux Cells from FJRGoodies.com do indeed have anti-sloshing baffles built internally that also serve as structural cross-members.

Many other commercially-available aux cells (Fuel Safe, JAZ, etc) have anti-slosh foam in the cell to accomplish this job.
Dayem!!!!!

Well.........I will consider myself bitch-slapped!

Golly, I love this forum. You learn something new everyday.

WTF is anti-slosh foam?!?!?!

Now excuse me while I work on my defense of altitude/air density/air resistance and lower fuel consumption.

Don't know how big of a guy you are,but RICK personally told me,face to face at the bike show,to get a day-long,because of my size.6'2",230 lbs.

Pretty decent of him to give you the straight scoop - so far I'm 5'10" and 185...never know about a few years from now though.