Bill Mayer Seat Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have another bike (BMW Dakar) that I am taking up to Deadhorse. AK next June.

I need a better than stock seat, but might sell the bike after the ride, so I am slow

to fork over the $ for a Russell Day Long build (Even though I have a spare stock seat)

A Bill Mayer seat has become available for the bike. The trouble is that it is set up for a

150 lb rider. I am nearly 70 pounds over that. Do I:

- Forget about the seat and keep looking

-Buy the seat and send it to BMS for a rebuild

-Go with the seat and use it as is, because the weight difference is not significant comfortwise

for 1 ride.

-Spend the $ on a Daylong saddle because I might keep the bike and the resell would be better

on a saddle made for 220 lbs.

-Go on a diet and lose weight.

I need an answer fast as the seat may not last on the market long. I cannot get in touch with

Bill Mayer"s right now to find out the cost of a rebuild. Anyone with experience in this area, I

could sure use some advice.... FAST.

Thanks, Tony

I would buy it if it's a good deal and give it a try. It may be just fine or you can resell it or rebuild it. If I remember right the mayer is where Russell came from. The original Mayer seats were made by the father who sold out to Russell with a non competition clause. After that timed out he went back into biz and the sons continued.

The Russell I had built for my wifes bike worked fine for me and at the time I was a whole lot heavier than she was.

Tony, The BMS is WAY better than the stock seat (no matter how much you weigh). They surround your butt and still let you hang (a little). Add the Alaska Leather cover and it will go the distance (even yours). ;)

I BELIEVE they charge $75 for a rebuild. I do know that Russell will NOT do a rebuild for anyone except the original buyer, but I don't think that's BMS's policy. The weight of the first owner isn't really the issue, it's the shape of the saddle that they customized the foam for his butt and preferences. It's not like they put extra thick foam on to compensate for your big ass. :lol: You might find it's perfect for you, or it might be way off. Have you sat on it? Anyway, if it's a good deal, I'd say to go for it. Much better quality foam than stock, and it can always be re-sculpted.