Bleeder Screw Sealant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
I am going to change a leaky Speedbleeder on my clutch back to the original bleeder screw. Does anyone know what Yamaha uses for sealant? It almost looks like teflon tape that was on there before. Would teflon tape withstand the temperature?

I am going to change a leaky Speedbleeder on my clutch back to the original bleeder screw. Does anyone know what Yamaha uses for sealant? It almost looks like teflon tape that was on there before. Would teflon tape withstand the temperature?

Thread sealant on a bleed nipple? Probably not a good idea. The factory manual does not show any sealant on the bleed screws.

If the speedbleeder on your clutch is leaking it's most likely due to the sealant that's on there already.

Maybe a little anti sieze on the threads only to prevent corosion but Nothing on the seat area. It's a precision fit and anything on the seat could cause a leak.

The speed bleeder uses a spring and a check ball to make it easier to bleed but if it is leaking there is some thing on the seat. I never did like them JMHO.

Speedbleeders have always worked well for me. I've had them on my last four bikes and two cars and they really make bleeding the system and flushing the fluid simple, one man tasks without having to resort to vacumes and such - I use their bag and hose arrangement to capture the expelled fluid. No mess. No fuss.

Don't know what it is comprised of, but Speedbleeder DOES supply a sealant of some sort that they will sell you. Supposedly if you are a casual user you will not need to recoat the threads, but if you do lots of track day service it can be necssary.

I bought a small tube to have on hand 'just in case' when I first switched over to them, though don't ask me now here I put it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bought new, there is reddish colored sealant on the threads:

www.dirtwerkz.com

Speed Bleeder

Thread Sealant 1/2 oz

SBP-TS: BUY NOW $10.00

Plus S&H and applicable tax

Used to replace the thread sealant that will eventually wear off if you bleeded your brakes frequently. It is mainly used by racers who bleed their brakes after every race. It comes in a 1/2 ounce bottle with an applicator brush built in to the cap.

speed_bleeder_sealer_185.jpg

LOTS OF PICS HERE...CLICKY

sbani.gif

Speed-Bleeder-300.jpg

speed_bleeder_all_300.jpg

There was some kind of sealant on the original Yamaha bleeder screw. Like I said it looked like it might have been teflon tape, it was soft and white. As far as sealant causing it to leak, I can't understand how that is possible. I too have used speedbleeders on other bikes with very good results, this is the first one to leak. I can't tell for sure where it is leaking, but I think it is leaking from the nipple, not the base.

The threads on bleeder screws/calipers are sometimes "loose". Teflon tape is typically used to "tighten" the clearances so you don't get air bubbles as a result of the loose fit. I suppose anti-seize would work, just don't put anything on the sealing seat area as mentioned previously.

Last edited by a moderator: