Blue Ridge parkway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGRE

Reaction score
I'm planning a ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway with-in the next two weeks(I'm flexible on the dates) starting in Cherokee and heading north and spending the night along the way. If anyone wants to join up for part or all of the ride let me know. I'll post further as I firm up the dates.

A couple of the best sections are closed until further notice. Might want to pre-plan your detours.

I ran the parkway from Asheville, NC up to Skyline Drive on my way home from NAFO. From Asheville you will immediately find the road closed and a long detour up the interstate. The other detour I hit was just south of Boone, NC. That was a pretty short detour that took me through Boone. North of there the parkway was open the rest of the way, though there was some road construction with a single lane open and flagmen directing traffic in a few places.

The parkway is a lot of fun to ride and the traffic is light during the week. They even provide a few legal passing zones I did see quite a few deer along the road in the late afternoon and early morning.

Did the Parkway 3 weeks ago and found the same - the south end near Asheville is closed for the best 30 or so miles and the detour through Boone was a pain - so we didn't even get back on once there, but rather ran cross country to Asheville and then down to the Dragon.

It was a 2 weekday run. Zero enforcement. Very light traffic all the way south from Waynesboro - we had some FINE riding with HIGH SPEED sweepers - didn't often get below 70 (except for a short period where we rode with two other Canadian riders who like to abide by the rules - that didn't last for long).

Once somone pointed out that it was Federal land and that the fines are $2,000 - the last 1/4 was spent trying our best to keep it below 55 mph (yes, I know the limit is considerably lower).

Saw all of two deer the entire length, both times in the foliage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the closure info. I checked the BRP website after hearing about the closures, but, my favorite part of the trip is cherokee to brevard, so I'll probably endure the detours and ride as much of it as possible. I'm probably gonna head out on thursday the 14th.

(except for a short period where we rode with two other Canadian riders who like to abide by the rules - that didn't last for long).
Squids :)
I'm glad to see you guys made it home, presumably safe & sound.

You two were just being old fogeys B) . . . . Hey, we were geared up and not riding wildly, within the limits of the road and the machines and not being crazy about passing anyone we encountered. Didn't drag a peg once over on the entire lenth of the Parkway. So you didn't like my one-handed rear facing picture-taking? I wasn't aiming, and the pictures I got of you reflected that.

Our trip tally was 4906.2 kilometers.

Thanks for the closure info. I checked the BRP website after hearing about the closures, but, my favorite part of the trip is cherokee to brevard, so I'll probably endure the detours and ride as much of it as possible. I'm probably gonna head out on thursday the 14th.

OGRE:

Keep me posted via PM. I'm working on a re-scheduled trip from Saint Louis to Baltimore (to visit family), but I was thinking of riding south east to Knoxville and picking up the BRP around that time.

It was a 2 weekday run. Zero enforcement. Very light traffic all the way south from Waynesboro - we had some FINE riding with HIGH SPEED sweepers - didn't often get below 70 (except for a short period where we rode with two other Canadian riders who like to abide by the rules - that didn't last for long).
Once somone pointed out that it was Federal land and that the fines are $2,000 - the last 1/4 was spent trying our best to keep it below 55 mph (yes, I know the limit is considerably lower).
If you want to run HIGH SPEED sweepers, take the route along the north side of the St. Lawrence Seaway out to the point where the road becomes gravel.

A local leading the way said there were only two LEOs on the route, and once they were both passed heading west, the ride east became a 130 mph adventure for more than an hour.

I love the BRP. What a feat of engineering that road is. IMO, the best part of it is the south end below Asheville. THat is a huge bummer if it is closed. OGRE, have fun on your trip, Heidi

I didn't ride south of Asheville. I rode north from Asheville and was able to go about 20 miles before coming to the closed gate, then I had to go back to Asheville to get off and go around. There were plenty of signs letting me know that the road was closed ahead. I'll have to ride the south end next time I'm down that way.

Greg, w/o much doubt, that is the best area. Try it, you'll like it!

If you want to run HIGH SPEED sweepers, take the route along the north side of the St. Lawrence Seaway out to the point where the road becomes gravel.
A local leading the way said there were only two LEOs on the route, and once they were both passed heading west, the ride east became a 130 mph adventure for more than an hour.
Got some map co-ordinates or route numbers? I'm interested.

Just as you get to the east side of Asheville, take the BRP detour onto US70 toward Marion.

But instead of following the detour signs back to US221 north, which leads to the BRP (boooooring), instead take NC-80 north up to the BRP. You'll hit 80 just west of Marion. If you need gas or lunch at this point, go on into Marion, another 2 miles. You'll find many fast-food joints, a wal-mart, and a great southern restaurant chain, Fatz Cafe, that's accustomed to having motorcyclists. Fatz is in front of the Wallymart, you can't miss it. If you go into Marion, you'll have to backtrack to get back to 80.

NC-80 is far too twisty for mass quantities of car traffic, so they don't route the cages this way. Bonus for you!

When you're on the BRP and get just east of Linville (NOT Linville Falls, 2 diff. places!) jump on US221 all the way to US321, which is just south of Boone. This stretch of 221 parallels the BRP for miles, and in a word, is bitchin'. Great smooth road, no traffic, and rivals the dragon for fun factor.

PM me if you'd like any local info.

Gary

The parkway is one of my favorite roads...especially the lower part, but it looks like the best part is closed. I never speed much on it first because of the fines, and second because I like to look at the scenery too much, trying to be a Ricky road racer takes a bunch of fun out of it for me.

I wish I had taken this "detour" when we rode the BRP back the end of June. The "official" detour was BORING to say the least.

Tom

Just as you get to the east side of Asheville, take the BRP detour onto US70 toward Marion.
But instead of following the detour signs back to US221 north, which leads to the BRP (boooooring), instead take NC-80 north up to the BRP. You'll hit 80 just west of Marion. If you need gas or lunch at this point, go on into Marion, another 2 miles. You'll find many fast-food joints, a wal-mart, and a great southern restaurant chain, Fatz Cafe, that's accustomed to having motorcyclists. Fatz is in front of the Wallymart, you can't miss it. If you go into Marion, you'll have to backtrack to get back to 80.

NC-80 is far too twisty for mass quantities of car traffic, so they don't route the cages this way. Bonus for you!

When you're on the BRP and get just east of Linville (NOT Linville Falls, 2 diff. places!) jump on US221 all the way to US321, which is just south of Boone. This stretch of 221 parallels the BRP for miles, and in a word, is bitchin'. Great smooth road, no traffic, and rivals the dragon for fun factor.

PM me if you'd like any local info.

Gary

Don't let the detour deter anyone from riding the BRP. It will seem insignificant compared to the rest of the ride. I rode down the BRP in June and hardly remember the detour at all.

I do however remember Fatz Cafe and heartily recommend it.

Just got back from the BRP in July. Had a great time and covered 2,300 miles total. Saw a lot of deer and had a bear sniff my buddies tent one night. He forgot he had granola and banana chips in his coat pocket. Fortunately the bear didn't rip him and the tent apart. Hang your food bag if you camp!