Bluetooth Speaker...Off the Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
I've taken a couple of trips to those beautiful mountains on the east coast this year. I stay in motels that have wi-fi, so that I can watch movies when in the room on my iPad mini. The issue is with the sound from the mini. So I took a chance, after many review looks, and bought a Bluetooth speaker. It had to be small, but give big sound for it's size.

I came across a speaker that delivers. It's made by JBL, and it is just perfect! I can listen to movies and get the depth of sound that should be there, but isn't from the mini. Very good volume and bass! Also, if I want to play my music, it delivers amazing sound. I've shown this to family/friends, and they immediately ordered one for themselves. It's amazing what technology has accomplished today.

Anyway, I wanted to share this, in case there are any of you that wanted something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Micro-Wireless-Ultra-Portable-Connectivity/dp/B009AYLDSU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387833605&sr=1-3&keywords=jvc+bluetooth+speaker

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I am new to this and want a Bluetooth speaker for the phone. I have no idea what is out there other than the 4 or so I saw and demo'd at Costco. Based on that experience I am planning on purchasing the Bose Soundlink II though it is quite a bit more expensive. I do know it sounds excellent. Wish I could compare side by side with this cheaper JBL unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-SoundLink%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Mobile-Speaker/dp/B0090Z3SPU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387401059&sr=8-2&keywords=bose+soundlink

Skooter, I've had Bose in my home since 1991, and they are still going strong. I would be the last person to talk down Bose. What I wanted was something that was portable, large on sound, inexpensive, and not have a name I've never heard of. This JBL fit the bill.

I'm fairly confident, that this wouldn't be on the same level with Bose, but I don't have to worry about dropping/losing it either.

The JBL looks like a better alternative to the little wired bellows unit (Kinivo ZX100 Mini Portable Speaker) I started using but gave up on.

Richard (Fairlaner) brought out a system at the last Reuben Run, I think it was the Jawbone Jambox? Sounded GREAT even outside in a large area. Quite a bit larger and more expensive though.

The JBL looks like a better alternative to the little wired bellows unit (Kinivo ZX100 Mini Portable Speaker) I started using but gave up on.Richard (Fairlaner) brought out a system at the last Reuben Run, I think it was the Jawbone Jambox? Sounded GREAT even outside in a large area. Quite a bit larger and more expensive though.
Yes, Sir Richie has the jambox. Though I think he has the Big Jambox It is nice, and it is expensive. It was one of the one's I compared at Costco. To my ears, the Bose sounded a tad better for approximately the same price.

I am planning on purchasing the Bose Soundlink II though it is quite a bit more expensive. I do know it sounds excellent. Wish I could compare side by side with this cheaper JBL unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-SoundLink%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Mobile-Speaker/dp/B0090Z3SPU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387401059&sr=8-2&keywords=bose+soundlink
I did a great deal of research on small portable/plug in bluetooth units and based on the comparisons I was seeing, I bought the Bose sounlink 2. Oh my soul. What a speaker. The base is incredible. Typical of Bose, you look at this tiny thing, and wonder, "How?" Granted, pricey, and NOT for everybody for that one reason. But as far as I know, it's the best there is for it's size. I put it in my tank bag, leave the lid open and oh yeah... up to about 50 arouind town it works great. But above 55 or so, wind noise is reaching a zillion decibels and even as loud as the Bose can get, most of the bass gets lost in the wind blast. It's just a fact of life that the FJR cockpit is a littel noisier than most full touring mounts. Not that I'm complaining. My Sena SMH10 and my klipsch S4i ear buds get the job done at ANY speed, and not a speaker on the planet can match them.

But for me, the little Bose is great. I use it at home, at work, working out in the shop on the FJR... whatever.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator: