BMW Sport Grips,

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fastfckr

Yes, I got bored, another long cold winter in Mn. AKA- "Frozen White Actic Shithole", so I ordered up those BMW sportgrips for my FJR. I know some people will once again wonder where to get these, I ordered my set from: https://fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm, $30 to my door.

So on to the BIG question. What different ways have been done to fill in the gap caused by the different lengths of these grips? I already have the real cruise control ,(Audiovox), so I won't be doing the https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=9 Vista Cruise. I would rather not move out the controls..... How about getting some new bar weights that are machined to cantilever in another 1/4" over stock to fill in the gap?????.... or something cheaper?

There isn't only one way to do this, just many possibilities to come up with something even better. Come on working minds, get at it!!!!

ZZZzz

Yes, I got bored, another long cold winter in Mn. AKA- "Frozen White Actic Shithole", so I ordered up those BMW sportgrips for my FJR. I know some people will once again wonder where to get these, I ordered my set from: https://fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm, $30 to my door.So on to the BIG question. What different ways have been done to fill in the gap caused by the different lengths of these grips? I already have the real cruise control ,(Audiovox), so I won't be doing the https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=9 Vista Cruise. I would rather not move out the controls..... How about getting some new bar weights that are machined to cantilever in another 1/4" over stock to fill in the gap?????.... or something cheaper?

There isn't only one way to do this, just many possibilities to come up with something even better. Come on working minds, get at it!!!!

ZZZzz
I used "grip donuts" such as:

https://www.mxbike.com/catalog/MX+Grip+Donu...dadb857bf04633a

The results look like this:

GripsVolts.JPG

I think Yamaha sells ones that are logo'd on their web site, if you're into that sort of thing.

- Mark

I mounted the BMW grips flush with the outside end of each handlebar (as opposed to leaving an outer overhang) -- this minimized the gap to the switchgear, but left a noticeable gap between the grip and the Top Gun Bar Weights. (These weights have a male extension that is about 8-10mm long that would typically fit inside the grip.) You can see a little of the extension on this shot, courtesy of Warchild.

grip2.jpg

Then I had a machinist make a couple of matching s/s spacers that fit over each of the weights to close the remaining gap. The end product looks like a slightly longer weight, with a seam. One advantage of this method is that there is additional weight to quell the vibes, but there's a big drawback -- expense. If you don't have the expertise to make a spacer yourself (or a good friend that can do it for you), I can't recommend this route.

Markjenn's solution look pretty tidy to me.

Just ordered the BMW grips and the vista cruise today! Ordered them from FJRGoodies. Need to get some bar end weights next. Yup, I'm happy!

The new style bar end weight by Manic Salamander fits close to the bar as opposed to stocking out, This may fill the gap you're speaking of. I hope to try a set later after I bo the brakeaway cruise control set-up.

I cut the hilt on my old(stock) grips and used it as a spacer between the bmw grips and the control housing. Similar to the "donut" fix above, but free. I really like the grips, top gun weights, and vista cruise. I only needed the spacer on the left- vista cruise on the right.

I went to Bobs Cycle Supply and bought two pair of those grip donuts. One of my buddies told me a tip on getting off the stock grips. Slide a long slim flat screw driver under the stock grips and work it all the way around, then using some air from a compressor, shoot some air under the old grip and they'll slid right off.

The donuts were 4mm thick each, so I used a per side. A couple shots of hair spray in each new grip.... slid right into place. No gap, happy.

ZZZzz ;)

I think I finally figured out how to use photobucket, lets see.....

here is my right grip with a pair of donuts to fill in the gap caused by shorter BMW grips.

IMG_3646.jpg

Notice, no gaps......

IMG_3644.jpg

ZZZzz

It was fairly easy to drill a new hole in the handlebar and move the controls over.

DSCN0252.jpg

a stupid newbie question of this: why are you doing this? What's the point?
That's actually a very good question. I can't remember why they all do this. :blink:

Are they heated grips? :detect:

No, more comfortable than the oe Yami grips. Look closely, you'll notice an odd taper to them-larger circumference on the outside than in. This works well on the Feej to help reduce handnumbing. Plus they look better. Now quit yer bitchin and get back to work.

(How far do those stick out compared to the mirrors?

The stick out no further..... But the BMW's are 9mm shorter in length, that's why I used two 4mm grips to fix in the gap difference.

ZZZzz

Last edited: