Board for a seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbird

Reaction score
My wife thought I was nuts when I announced "I'm heading out the the garage to build a seat for the bike".

I'm thinking you guys will understand. Just the day before I had boxed up the seats to be sent to Russell

for the group buy and she had dropped them off at the post office. I woke up the next morning knowing

that the bike was OTS for the next two-plus weeks. A state of deep withdrawal set in when I realized it

was Saturday...I was off...and the weather was in the riding zone (light winds/sunny skies/low 60s).

It was then I became determined NOT to allow a missing seat to keep me from riding for the next 20 days.

I fired up the table saw...cut some foam and cloth...and constructed a "get by" seat that has served me

well for the past week. I'll never give Russell a run for their money as my 1hr project seat is far from

"day long" comfortable. But it is keeping me smiling on the bike during these trying times while my

seat gets it's makeover.

BTW...my build date was today 02/01/08. But my seat didn't show up at Russell when the post office

said it would on Wednesday. :eek: Russell said not prob...they'll build it as soon as it shows. :yahoo:

HMseat1.jpg

HMseat2.jpg

HMseat3.jpg

I tell ya, Ya build another seat like that andpost up here...Well, don't complain when ya gets the boot!

:lol:

We don't take to kindly ta hibbillys' here :D

I may be slightly biased as I currently build furniture for a living.

Nice staples... Good line...

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Russell seat but they had my seat before the build date and were still two weeks late in getting it done. They also failed to put in the springs I requested for the rear seat……

While I am very happy with the seat, I was disappointed in the customer service. They don’t seem to understand the concept of “Under Promise; Over Deliver”

I dunno. I rode in and had my seat built, then rode home to Sacramento.
Easy to say when you live a short ride away...versus me...plus they be piled up with snow right now.

But you are right...that is THE way to go with it. I guess if I lived up north it would be a non-issue.

However, living down in southern New Mexico...I'd be missing some of the best riding of the year!

I tell ya, Ya build another seat like that andpost up here...Well, don't complain when ya gets the boot! :lol:

We don't take to kindly ta hibbillys' here :D

I may be slightly biased as I currently build furniture for a living.

Nice staples... Good line...

:jester:

That's not hibbilly...that's Colonial Redneck. I should have used some bailing wire to hold it down but I

skimped and just used gravity. I should spend some time under your toot-a-ledge and learn how to

woodwork and furniture build proper. I've done a lot...and it comes out good...but I am no craftsman.

That's a nice workbench, homemade?
Thanks...all but the top was built by me in my garage...I bought the top solid and drilled it and attached vices.

The obtaining of the hardwood and laminating just ain't worth the time and trouble for the price you can buy bench tops.

It's one of my all time favorite outcomes for any of my projects.

Bench8.jpg

I dunno. I rode in and had my seat built, then rode home to Sacramento.
Easy to say when you live a short ride away...versus me...plus they be piled up with snow right now.

But you are right...that is THE way to go with it. I guess if I lived up north it would be a non-issue.

However, living down in southern New Mexico...I'd be missing some of the best riding of the year!
Believe it or not, I actually DID see where you were from and cleverly posted the major town near where I live so it would be obvious I was in NorCal. I thought you'd catch the wry humor....It is Friday, y'know! :blink:

That being said, why not an old bicycle seat bolted to some plywood? :yahoo:

That's a lot better looking than my first FJR seat. Andy rode the bike home for me, and looked after it for a couple of weeks to make sure that the bike would be OK for me to ride :rolleyes: . When the time came for my first ride, he removed the seat and put a thin pillow onto the frame with duct tape. Thus, my first ride on the bike was enjoyed WITH the ability to reach the ground. As my confidence grew, we put the seat back on and I learned to balance on the points of my toes. :)

Jill

seat.jpg

I only gave the ball a little push.....I didn't roll it.

Oh, yeah....cut the middle forward section out of the seat to help water drainage and keep the sperm count up.

M2 and Odot....My first thought was to use the seat off my mountain bike...but it seemed too complicated.

M2...I should have seen you were giving me good-natured ribbing. Rats on me.

BTW...the seat is a "1/2-hour long" version of the "day long"...so today I'm gonna strap my Airhawk on it

and try a 120 mi ride.