Bought 08 finally, BIG REGRETS!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greb

Reaction score
WHY DIDN'T I BUY IT SOONER?!!!! :yahoo:

I have been researching and lurking here for 6 months, and after looking at the ST 1300, the 1200 RT/GT, and Concours I know I have made the right choice. You all know how much this thing rocks so I don't need to tell you that.

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

After riding it the first 200 miles I have found out that the vibe issue I was so scared of is of little consequence. This bike is smooth as glass, and I guess it is all relative because I traded my Harley in for it.

My wife likes the passenger pillion better than the Electra glide and that is without a backrest :yahoo:

I love the power, it comes on smoothly and linear with no surprises. I expected more but hey I have owned a couple R1s and a GSXR 1K so not much impresses me power wise anymore. But is very refreshing after coming off a sedate and boring Twin Cam 88.

The bar angle does make my wrist ache a little and the helmet wind roar is loud even with plugs, I am 6 foot and expected to need a taller windshield. I noticed that the helmet buffeting only happened if the wind was blowing just right. Most of the time I was not a bobble head.

I love it and am very happy with my choice. I look forward to putting many, many miles on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
7 grand in 5th is where the real fun is. What's the other bike in the pic?
I'm guessing that's a Ninja 650R.

Yep that is a 650R, and there is another bike in there you can't see, a Versys; My other grin maker.

The little ninja is my wife's. She loves it!

7 grand in 5th? is that where vibes creep in? or are you talking about speed?

650R eh? In a week or so my garage will look similar. My bride should be getting a new 650R soon. Shhhhh! -- its a surprise. I'll admit I'm a little excited myself about riding it. I hear that they're a hoot!

That black FJR is gorgeous. I wish I hads a good reason to trade mine in.

650R eh? In a week or so my garage will look similar. My bride should be getting a new 650R soon. Shhhhh! -- its a surprise. I'll admit I'm a little excited myself about riding it. I hear that they're a hoot!
That black FJR is gorgeous. I wish I hads a good reason to trade mine in.

Another one assimilated! Welcome to the collective!

Very clean garage. Glad to see there was a leaf on the floor or folks would accuse it of being gay...... :p
Thanks FJReady and good choice for your wife, has she ridden before? it can be a little intimidating to a new rider I found out. My wife went through the MSF basic course and now she is good to go since she rode a 250 ninja in the course.

ShinyPartsUp, you should see the other half, it is a mess!

Welcome to the madness. You will come to love the bike more and more as you ride it. There is power there. Once you get the 600 mile tune up done on her and then ring it you will feel the power baby. I too own a R1 and a next snapping torque monster wr 450. The FJR will get up and scoot. Just get the break in done first.

About the vibe. Get some bar ends and that will pretty much go away. Some sliders would be good too. Got both of those from motivation and very happy. Still get a vibe but has to be something with the way the wind is out here sometimes cause it isn't always there.

Might want to consider a fork brace too. Since you are used to the liter bikes front end you will notice how "loose" the FJR's front feels in the twisties.

Also of note, check the head nut. Mine was loose. Torque can be found in the Bin O Facts.

I have owned my 08 for 2 days now and 160 miles, it is a awesome machine. I will be ordering the bar end weights soon to cancel a few vibes.

If you really want to surprise the lady, this is how to do it. I'm told that a Ninja 650R takes three hours for two men to wrap. It took me less than five minutes to unwrap it.

The bike is a ton of fun to ride. Although the seat is a tad higher than my lowered FJR, I find it easier to ride because it's so light. With the RPM down low, it's a sweet, gentle little bike but a roll of the right hand will turn it into a mean machine. Gotta hang on real tight when it gets into triple digits though, because you KNOW you're going fast. (Unlike the FJR which pretends that everyone else is just pitifully slow)

xmas_2006.jpg

QUOTE (Greb @ Mar 16 2008, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

7 grand in 5th? is that where vibes creep in? or are you talking about speed?

That's about 132 mph (click here for the full info). She'll do way more than that.

WHY DIDN'T I BUY IT SOONER!!!! :yahoo:
I have been researching and lurking here for 6 months, and after looking at the ST 1300, the 1200 RT/GT, and Concours I know I have You all know how much this thing rocks so I don't need to tell you that.
Welcome.....You made the right choice. :good:

Ed :)

Hehe

There are many windscreen options. I am 6.1 and have a cee baily flip top lip type thingy at I think +2 or 3. The flip makes all the difference as I can still see over the top of it easily, living in a bubble of silence, without it bieng anywhere near all the way up

Others have their preferences ass well but there is a TON!! of info here

and WELCOME!!!