Bought my first SHOEI Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Well I finally did it. I have been thinking of a different brand for some time and at the top of the list was Shoei and Arai.

Why? Well sometime back I tried on a Shoei motorcross helmet and let me just say it was incredibly different than the hjc motocross helmets I was use to. It was actually comfortable for one. My HJC motocross helmet is very hard inside, not like my street bike helmet.

Anyway this got me to wondering how comfortable a Shoei Street helmet would be but I dared try one on.

Lately while riding the wind noise has been terrible. Even with ear plugs in the noise seems to just be bothering me more and more. Getting old???

Monday I got caught in the rain and instantly the visor fogged up and this really irritated me as I would have just kept going but I couldn't see.

Also the HJC CL-14 seems to be very hot. With the vent holes open or closed doesn't seem to change anything.

So today I stopped by the dealer and started looking at new helmets.

Looked at the different patterns and models and then the RF-1000 Nerve pattern caught my eye.

Luckily he had one in stock in Blue. I tried it on and instantly knew I had to have this helmet.

Very comfortable and the Visor is much better than the HJC. It seems like each click the helmet will actually stay where I put it. I like to ride occasionaly with the visor open just one click but, on the hjc it slams shut once I get any speed up.

i33140.jpg

The Breath Guard and Chin Curtain it comes with seem like they will help make this helmet even nicer.

Eh, you bought one noisey mofo lid, bro. Stock up on plugs. Breath guard? Wassat?
Yea, I have heard different things on the noise. Putting it on in the office it seems very quiet compared to the hjc.

The breath guard is a little piece that connect to the helmet that directs your breath down instead of on the shield.

Some have reported it to be noisey and the manufact. has blamed it on the persons neck being small and wind getting around.

I can't see anything being worse than my hjc. I know someone personally who has one and it is very quiet for him.

LIke everything it all depends on the person and I won't know crap until I ride with it and hopefully that will be tomorrow :D

Yea, I have heard different things on the noise. Putting it on in the office it seems very quiet compared to the hjc.The breath guard is a little piece that connect to the helmet that directs your breath down instead of on the shield.

Some have reported it to be noisey and the manufact. has blamed it on the persons neck being small and wind getting around.

I can't see anything being worse than my hjc. I know someone personally who has one and it is very quiet for him.

LIke everything it all depends on the person and I won't know crap until I ride with it and hopefully that will be tomorrow :D
Well call me jipped! I got no steenkin' guard with mine! And next time you wanna call me a pencil necked geek, just come out and say it. No need to disguise it...

:D

I have a HJC CL14, an Arai Quantum II and a Shoei RF1000. I specifically bought the Shoei because I was tired of all the noise of the Arai. I can assure ya'll that of the three the Shoei is the quietest of the three. I would rate the Arai and Shoei about even in comfort. Also, in every regard the shield is the best on the Shoei.

My only bitch with the Shoei is that it leaves the top of my hair looking like I tried some new experiment with my hairstyle that went badly wrong. The Arai leaves my hair looking pretty much the way it would look without a helmet.

Yea, I have heard different things on the noise. Putting it on in the office it seems very quiet compared to the hjc.

The breath guard is a little piece that connect to the helmet that directs your breath down instead of on the shield.

Well call me jipped! I got no steenkin' guard with mine! And next time you wanna call me a pencil necked geek, just come out and say it. No need to disguise it...

:D
I thought about it but figured you would figure it out on your own.

Anyway I have heard the RF as being one of the few helmets design for people with round heads. Most helmets designed for Americans are for people with long thin faces.

I happen to have a round head C-Section baby and all :D

Oh, and my necks not that big either. 17.5 shirts :D

I have a HJC CL14, an Arai Quantum II and a Shoei RF1000. I specifically bought the Shoei because I was tired of all the noise of the Arai. I can assure ya'll that of the three the Shoei is the quietest of the three. I would rate the Arai and Shoei about even in comfort. Also, in every regard the shield is the best on the Shoei.
My only bitch with the Shoei is that it leaves the top of my hair looking like I tried some new experiment with my hairstyle that went badly wrong. The Arai leaves my hair looking pretty much the way it would look without a helmet.
Thanks for your response, it is encouraging :D

Now come on weather, no rain tomorrow!!!

rf1000_breathguard_200w.jpg

Breath Guard

rf1000_chin_curtain_200w.jpg

Chin Curtain

Last edited by a moderator:
Breath Guard

Chin Curtain

Gawd dammit! I didn't get either of those pieces! :angry: Were they in the box or fixed to the lid? Great. Another fight with a retailer. Fook me... Thanks, Sparky, for the enlightenment.

Breath Guard

Chin Curtain

Gawd dammit! I didn't get either of those pieces! :angry: Were they in the box or fixed to the lid? Great. Another fight with a retailer. Fook me... Thanks, Sparky, for the enlightenment.
When they pulled the helmet off the self, got the thing the helmet goes in, not the box the material with the string, then under the desk put the two things I showed you with the instruction manual in a plastic bag.

On one site I saw a website linked to show it is suppose to come with all of these helmets as others hadn't received theirs either...

Chin curtain is good for keeping the mic on the Starcom from opening up at high speeds and the breath guard is good for keeping the shield from fogging but both make the helmet hotter than it would normally be....I keep both on the helmet just because its easier than putting them on and taking them off.

Add one of the blue tint shields to that Sparky and you got yourself something...

Hey TWN I found this on the R6-Forum.com

it should come with it, if not (obviously) you can get one by emailing shoei and let them know. they'll ask for the helmet serial number or something like that, found under the liner. i had mine within 2 weeks. they send the little breath thing and a chin thing too. i think the chin piece would be helpful on the highway, but havn't tested it out. the breath guard is a world of difference, plus you look badass with the visor up.

Right after this post a guy said the chin piece made his much quieter. Worth a try...

Chin curtain is good for keeping the mic on the Starcom from opening up at high speeds and the breath guard is good for keeping the shield from fogging but both make the helmet hotter than it would normally be....I keep both on the helmet just because its easier than putting them on and taking them off.
Add one of the blue tint shields to that Sparky and you got yourself something...
Blue tint Hmmm!

How are they at night? I stopped using the tinted ones years ago because I get caught at night so much. I ain't carrying a clear one around with me either... :D

With the exception of a couple cheap POS's I've used mid-grade Shoeis for 20+ years, from the old Z100 to my current, almost colormatching blue RF1000.

They fit, they function, they're comfortable, and they look good.

Not to mention reasonably priced. I'll keep going back.

Yeah I got the Badge and I have to say it is the best I have had! BTW I got those two access with it as well!

I've got an RF1000 and find that with the top vents open it is quieter when I ride with the windshield all the way down than when it is up.

Must be that new fangled thing they call arrow dinamix.

Eh, you bought one noisey mofo lid, bro.
Is that because the "long, thin face along with the pencil-neck" allow so much ambient wind inside someone's helmet, hmmmmmmm? :blink: :dribble: :p

:D I suppose "Don" would have to wrap his head like a Q-tip to get any helmet to fit properly.