Bought my first SHOEI Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey TWN I found this on the R6-Forum.comit should come with it, if not (obviously) you can get one by emailing shoei and let them know. they'll ask for the helmet serial number or something like that, found under the liner. i had mine within 2 weeks. they send the little breath thing and a chin thing too. i think the chin piece would be helpful on the highway, but havn't tested it out. the breath guard is a world of difference, plus you look badass with the visor up.

Right after this post a guy said the chin piece made his much quieter. Worth a try...

Blue tint Hmmm!

How are they at night? I stopped using the tinted ones years ago because I get caught at night so much. I ain't carrying a clear one around with me either... :D
Thanks, sparky! E-mail to be fired off, toot sweet!

I have the blue tinted, mirrored visor... bad, bad, bad night vision! Great during the day, so pack your clear if you even have an inkling that you're gonna come even close to ridin' in the dark.

Is that because the "long, thin face along with the pencil-neck" allow so much ambient wind inside someone's helmet, hmmmmmmm? :blink: :dribble: :p .

:D I suppose "Don" would have to wrap his head like a Q-tip to get any helmet to fit properly.

Jease, jease eet ist! :D

:helmetsmiley: :helmetsmiley:

Great choice in helmets. I've recently replaced an old Arai (just not the right colors for my new FJR - so my better half said) Mine did include all the extras also. I live within 20 miles of 'Iron Pony' motorcycle store. So I paid the same as going online.
79789223-M.jpg

Yes I have a 3year old X11. It is a great helmet for venting and comfort,queiter than my previous Arai. Plus you get a spare shield& cool bag. Obviously not cheap!

Hey TWN I found this on the R6-Forum.com

it should come with it...

Wow! Shoei is sending them to me under warranty! No questions asked! Kudos, Shoei and thanks Sparky!
Must be trouble with the Matrix as I didn't receive a notification of response, Oh well!

Glad it worked out for ya!!!

I find that my sunglasses fog up but not the shield.

I am loving the helmet. I still wear my ear plugs but it is nice that the visor will stay open a tad when I want.

All around I am happy with my purchase...

Well I finally did it. I have been thinking of a different brand for some time and at the top of the list was Shoei and Arai. Why? Well sometime back I tried on a Shoei motorcross helmet and let me just say it was incredibly different than the hjc motocross helmets I was use to. It was actually comfortable for one. My HJC motocross helmet is very hard inside, not like my street bike helmet.

Anyway this got me to wondering how comfortable a Shoei Street helmet would be but I dared try one on.

Lately while riding the wind noise has been terrible. Even with ear plugs in the noise seems to just be bothering me more and more. Getting old???

Monday I got caught in the rain and instantly the visor fogged up and this really irritated me as I would have just kept going but I couldn't see.

Also the HJC CL-14 seems to be very hot. With the vent holes open or closed doesn't seem to change anything.

So today I stopped by the dealer and started looking at new helmets.

Looked at the different patterns and models and then the RF-1000 Nerve pattern caught my eye.

Luckily he had one in stock in Blue. I tried it on and instantly knew I had to have this helmet.

Very comfortable and the Visor is much better than the HJC. It seems like each click the helmet will actually stay where I put it. I like to ride occasionaly with the visor open just one click but, on the hjc it slams shut once I get any speed up.

i33140.jpg

The Breath Guard and Chin Curtain it comes with seem like they will help make this helmet even nicer.

I recently purchased the HJC CL-SP for the wife and I.....big mistake. The most comfortable helmet ever for me while ion the house. Once on the bike it's so loud I need ear plugs and thats with a CalSci shield. Should have spent the extra and got the Shoei :angry2:

Well I finally did it. I have been thinking of a different brand for some time and at the top of the list was Shoei and Arai.

Why? Well sometime back I tried on a Shoei motorcross helmet and let me just say it was incredibly different than the hjc motocross helmets I was use to. It was actually comfortable for one. My HJC motocross helmet is very hard inside, not like my street bike helmet.

Anyway this got me to wondering how comfortable a Shoei Street helmet would be but I dared try one on.

Lately while riding the wind noise has been terrible. Even with ear plugs in the noise seems to just be bothering me more and more. Getting old???

Monday I got caught in the rain and instantly the visor fogged up and this really irritated me as I would have just kept going but I couldn't see.

Also the HJC CL-14 seems to be very hot. With the vent holes open or closed doesn't seem to change anything.

So today I stopped by the dealer and started looking at new helmets.

Looked at the different patterns and models and then the RF-1000 Nerve pattern caught my eye.

Luckily he had one in stock in Blue. I tried it on and instantly knew I had to have this helmet.

Very comfortable and the Visor is much better than the HJC. It seems like each click the helmet will actually stay where I put it. I like to ride occasionaly with the visor open just one click but, on the hjc it slams shut once I get any speed up.

i33140.jpg

The Breath Guard and Chin Curtain it comes with seem like they will help make this helmet even nicer.

I recently purchased the HJC CL-SP for the wife and I.....big mistake. The most comfortable helmet ever for me while ion the house. Once on the bike it's so loud I need ear plugs and thats with a CalSci shield. Should have spent the extra and got the Shoei :angry2:
Yea, dealers need a wind tunnel for try outs as helmets are usually no return items. Sucks!

I do see people buy used helmets on Ebay though. If you are really unhappy with it you could try selling them at a bit of a loss.

I do still wear earplugs in my Shoei as it is not sound proof either but the other features are what makes the helmet for me...

got tired of having a "shoei dot" on my presumably mutant forehead. even took a ball peen hammer to the last one to put a dent in it. yeah, i know, i know. whatever....

the arai signet i wear now fits like a glove and is light as can be, but it is a bit noisy. or at least it was until i got the cal sci shield... maybe it's time to give shoei another try. been a while since the R-something or other i had forever.

oh, your helmet retailer wants you to know that your helmet should be thrown away every few years, even if you don't bonk, since their stuff breaks down and you are no longer fully protected. yeah, right....

ride safe.

shu

MEOSBORN-

I just bought a silver X-11 for $432 shipped! from www.parts411.com (price wasn't bad). I didn't get an extra shield though like someone mentioned on this thread. All the other goodies were there, chin guard, breath gaurd and a pretty nice helmet bag :>)

At any rate, I love it. I've had 5 other street bike helmets over the years two other full face helmets, two flip face helmets, and a half lid when I had my Harley. The ventilation is absolutely top notch, The reviews that I read were definately on the mark in that regard. The front of my head actually got cold when riding on a 80 degree day!!

It's comfortable, field of view is good, good aerodynamics (little headshake) and it's relatively quite compared to the other helmets that I've had at least, DOT and SNELL approved, outstanding ventilation, In short, I'm happy!

I give it a strong buy!