Braided Steel Brake Lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on where to obtain a full Braided Steel Line replacement kit for a Gen I ABS.

I know there are many places out there. But I would prefer a kit that is built specifically for a Gen I ABS (2005) bike. Something I can just go ahead and "bolt on". Would love to here from people with first hand experience with that type of kit.

Yep, I know with the ABS this is going to be a bit of a pain with all the brake lines. But the bike is disassembled for the winter and I am doing a valve check. So what better time than when the bike is all stripped down.

- Colin

I had some Spieglers for my ABS Gen 1 from a Group Buy many moons ago. The lines were a bit of work and required fabbing up a small bracket around the steering head. The big ass-pain was the clutch line...which I wouldn't recommend unless you're really a glutton for punishment.

With the new-to-me non-ABS Gen 1 I ended up getting some Galfers. They have ABS kits (yes, custom to the Gen1) including custom colors like our own Bike Effects sells.

As usual, Google and forum search on the particular brand names will yield many conversations about them as well as +stainless +lines and other similar terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for suggestions on where to obtain a full Braided Steel Line replacement kit for a Gen I ABS.

I know there are many places out there. But I would prefer a kit that is built specifically for a Gen I ABS (2005) bike. Something I can just go ahead and "bolt on". Would love to here from people with first hand experience with that type of kit.

Yep, I know with the ABS this is going to be a bit of a pain with all the brake lines. But the bike is disassembled for the winter and I am doing a valve check. So what better time than when the bike is all stripped down.

- Colin
I own Bike Effects, and I am a member here and give discounts to forum members. See the link in my Signature for more information.

Galfer Lines at Bike Effects

The big ass-pain was the clutch line...which I wouldn't recommend unless you're really a glutton for punishment.
Ya know, there are some tricks to reduce it to a small ass-pain. Doing mine wasn't too bad. When I did Vectervp1's shortly thereafter it was easy. Now if I could only remember what those tricks were. That was a long time ago.

- Colin
OK, I will show my ignorance here. Is this relatively expensive modification one a fairly unaggressive rider like me is likely to notice? I think my FJR's brakes are dandy, but maybe I don't know what I am missing.... :help:

- Colin
OK, I will show my ignorance here. Is this relatively expensive modification one a fairly unaggressive rider like me is likely to notice? I think my FJR's brakes are dandy, but maybe I don't know what I am missing.... :help:
Ditto. Brakes seem pretty good to me too. Is this really worthwhile? I'm thinking I'd like to save my pennies for a Penske or Ohlins rear shock.

Ditto. Brakes seem pretty good to me too. Is this really worthwhile? I'm thinking I'd like to save my pennies for a Penske or Ohlins rear shock.
Totally. It goes to 11....for that extra bit.

volume_11.jpg

Totally. It goes to 11....for that extra bit.

volume_11.jpg
I guess I am confused; was there something amiss with these queries?

I did Galfers rotors and braided steel lines. The rotors looked awesome but make no difference. The lines [with abs you have 3 times as many lines to install] made a difference but not enough for the pain I went thought installing them.