Brake Job - Total cost from Boats.net

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked a little further and need to make a correction.. The kit you are looking at has only 2 pads so you'd need 4 kits.

EBC brakes (and most aftermarket brands) at Bike Bandit has all 4 pads in each kit so you'd need two of those. The EBC kits are about $55 each and they are a very good product.
I believe this is the correct configuration:

Capture_zps02864ab4.jpg

I can tell you do not be swayed by EBC cost. They turn into dust pretty quick compared to OEM brake pads. Anything I have used EBC turns into Vapor Ware very fast!
Listen to LAF....I mistakenly "saved" about $30 bucks per side on my 04 TWICE by purchasing EBC pads. Both sets disappeared in a cloud of dust in less than 5,000 miles.

They work fine, but they are shit for longevity.

Listen to LAF....I mistakenly "saved" about $30 bucks per side on my 04 TWICE by purchasing EBC pads. Both sets disappeared in a cloud of dust in less than 5,000 miles.

Kinda like with your womens, you're a slow learner, ain't ya?

finger.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you do not be swayed by EBC cost. They turn into dust pretty quick compared to OEM brake pads. Anything I have used EBC turns into Vapor Ware very fast!

I haven't had any issues with the EBC pads. I have 40,000 miles on the front pads and the rotors are still in good shape. I flipped the pads inside-outside during my last tire change and expect to get another 10,000 miles out of them. They work as well as the OEM and (for the Gen II) they are about half the price.

I haven't had any issues with the EBC pads. I have 40,000 miles on the front pads and the rotors are still in good shape. I flipped the pads inside-outside during my last tire change and expect to get another 10,000 miles out of them. They work as well as the OEM and (for the Gen II) they are about half the price.
You are the FIRST person I have seen report good things about these pads. MANY have reported poor results. Interesting.

You are the FIRST person I have seen report good things about these pads. MANY have reported poor results. Interesting.
Maybe a little less life (75%??) compared to the OEM but not that different (for me). For the OEM's, I ended out replacing them sooner than necessary because of not flipping them at half their life - wear is fairly uneven between inside and outside pads. The pads I am using are the EBC HH pads.

Perhaps there is a difference in the Gen II pads? There certainly is a BIG difference in the cost. The EBC's seem to be dirtier but not excessively. I don't know whether I'll go back to the OEM pads next year or not.

The right front caliper has 2 sets of 2 pads each (one linked with rear and one linked to left front). The left front caliper has 2 sets of 2 pads each. All 4 of these sets of these 8 pads are the same.

The rear has one caliper with 1 set of 2 pads (linked to one of the right front set of pads)

So 4 sets of pads for front, 1 set of pads for rear. 10 pads total. 5 sets of pads total.....Right?

Are you sure you need to replace all the pads? Fronts, both the linked and non lined pads and the rears wear at different rates.
No doubt! For the few minutes it takes to remove a brake caliper from a wheel, I'd inspect them before I bought anything.

But to the point, make sure you have brake cleaner, and old toothbrush, 320 & 600 grit emery cloth and brake parts grease. You'll want to clean and lube the moving parts. And consider purple loctite (slightly weaker than blue) for mount bolts- mine have come loose twice.
On gen II bikes at least I don't think you have to remove the caliper to remove the pads on the front brakes. Only take out that allen head bolt and the pads lift right out. Maybe a 5 minute job to inspect all pads up front. On the rear, I think you do have to remove one of the bolts ( I think the rear most bolt) and rotate the caliper out of the way, similiar to what you do with many car brakes. That is unless for some reason you want to clean the calipers on the working end.

finger.gif
Kinda like coming back here to the Forum time after time to absorb your abuse. :D

finger.gif
Kinda like coming back here to the Forum time after time to absorb your abuse.
biggrin.png
What are friends for? Merry Freaking Christmas!

Spend how you like.

I ran EBC in a 2003 Sportster, a 05 Road Glide and a 07 BMW K 1200LT all with the same result, dust! They do not hold up for me and the rotor on my K1200 LT from them was pure crap that they refunded my money on.

Use at your own risk and be ready to replace them sooner. To me it is a wash. If I need two sets of EBC or one set of OEM to reach the same milage. The EBC go quick for me. I ended up with OEM on all the other bikes I listed so I did not stock them for the FJR. Boats Net was the deal.

I've no dog in this hunt, but could it be that folks are mixing up the different types of EBC pads in the discussion? EBC makes a few lines of brake pad for the FJR. They make Non-Asbestos Organic (Kevlar) pads, their Double H sintered pads, and the Extreme Pro EFPA road race sintered pads.

I usually hear the Double H's being recommended for use on the FJR. Never tried them.

Good point by FredW - which EBC pads is everyone referring to?

My experience - 3 sets of OE pads on two FJR's and one set of EBC HH pads on the first '09.

My .02 - The stock brakes on the FJR are very good, and are up to task for probably over 99% of the time and riders. I put a set of EBC HH pads on the bike last year because I wanted a little more bite. Some have said I'm a very smooth rider - with the brakes lights rarely illumitating at spirited pace, others say I'm very aggressive on the brakes; I don't know where I fall because I've only ever riden with me. What the EBC HH pads gave me was better initial bite when applying the brakes, and that same consistency from mile zero to mile 13,xxx they were on the bike. I can say that during my commute here in the D, it was a regular occurance to have the ABS activate once or twice a week due to sudden stops in traffic (think 80 to 10mph) or cager unsignaled lane changes (think having a 1.5 to 2 second following distance to a .5 second following distance when a car takes up that space with no signal or warning).

Would other agree that the EBC HH pads are considered a "performance" item? Along that thought track, it would be a reasonable assumption that they would not last as long as the OE piece. If I spoon on a set of Pilot Powers, I expect I am going to get better traction from that tire, and I also expect I am not going to get the same life span as I would from a Z8 or similar tire. If you feel you don't need the "extra" a performance part offers, then don't use it - as many here seem to have determined - longevity is more important than the other qualities performance wise.

and thank you to the OP for enlightening me to this vendor - one more place to shop at...

Wayne

I have the EBC H&H pads on my bike. No more dust than the OEMs, no difference in stopping that I can tell, no rotor issues and no problems.

I have heard that other types of EBC pads will either evaporate or cause rotor damage. The rotor damage seems consistent along some of the "race" pad lines.

However, I fail to see how a soft pad that turns to dust quickly also damages the rotor. Sounds fishy to me.

However, I fail to see how a soft pad that turns to dust quickly also damages the rotor. Sounds fishy to me.
I can't explain it, but have experienced exactly that scenario. When my stock oem front pads were due for replacement, I was talked into trying Carbone Lorraine pads by our old "go to parts source" Gary. These pads only lasted 40% as long as the oem pads and in the process trashed my front rotors. There was visible grooving on the rotors (and not due to pads worn down to metal) and they measured below minimum spec. And I didn't really notice any increased performance with them.

So it's oem for me from now on.