Brake Pad Pricing Gen 1 to Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Just nosing around on various items and see that FRONT brake pads for my 2010 are like 40 bucks more then a Gen 1.

Not complaining but am wondering what guys are getting mileage wise on the Gen II bikes.

I do know riding style is a big factor but would like to hear some numbers if you guys would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a set of rear brake pads for my gen 1. OEM's were $70 Cdn. I ended up buying some EBC's because they had them in stock for $39 Cdn.

Gen II has twice as many pieces, too. Gen I pads are one piece to each side of a caliper, with each pad pressed by two pistons, 4 pads total. Gen II are one pad per piston, eight pads total.

That's necessary to separate the one piston pair for linking to the rear brake.

I bought Carbone Lorraine pads recently from two different places, as one did not have the rears. I think $30 per set x the number of required sets. Check out ebay.

While he may no longer be in a position to provide good pricing, Gary McCoy & I had a long discussion about brake pads last summer and he convinced me that the sintered plate Carbone Lorraine pads were the very best for the FJR - ordered a set for the front at about $82 for everything . . . .

While I was at Americade the C-L distributor had a booth and we started chatting brakes - they confirmed that you want sintered plate pads for the front of the FJR, but insisted that I go with an organic (softer) compound for the rear - even though the linked front pad was sintered.

So that's what I did. No regrets.

QUOTE (LAF @ Aug 14 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just nosing around on various items and see that FRONT brake pads for my 2010 are like 40 bucks more then a Gen 1.

Not complaining but am wondering what guys are getting mileage wise on the Gen II bikes.

I do know riding style is a big factor but would like to hear some numbers if you guys would.

I changed out 4 of my front pads after about 20000 miles. There was a fair bit of life left, probably another 5000-10000 miles.

Because the linked pair of pads was worn a lot less than the three pairs of non-linked pads, I chose to put two new pairs on, replace the third non-linked pair with the old linked pads, and use the least worn pair of the old non-linked pads for the linked position.

I also measured them all; if you're interested, you can see the measurements here.

For the record, much of my riding is in city traffic where brakes are used frequently. Also, on some of my fun rides, I'm braking fairly hard much of the time (into corners, after overtakes). I would expect a higher mileage rider to do much better on brake life than I do.

(Click on image for larger view)

Left . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Right