Brakelines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afterburn

Modding Mechanic
Reaction score
I am looking to get a set of brakelines to get rid of the sponginess of the brakes, but I can't seem to find any. Plenty of shops carrying these lines for the FJR, but none for the ABS version.

Anyone know a reliable source for a kit of ss brakelines for a FJR ABS?

I did google, and I knowfjr1300.info site. However, I know how to change them, but the sites where you can order all only have the non-ABS fjr.

Thanks for the link to Spiegler USA though; the Spiegler factory page does not list the ABS model.

Having a part# is one step closer. :)

I would contact Gary McCoy at University Motors is Fargo, ND. When Warchild did the group buy, it was run through him. IOW, he was the middleman between Spiegler and the final customer, so I bet he would know how to get you the ABS kit.

More info here: University Motors

And I recommend emailing Gary with your inquiry. His email: [email protected]

I still have my SS line kit from the group buy for my 04 non-ABS. I am finally going to get around to installing it soon - in the next few weeks, so you should see me posting soon asking "how the **** do I do this?"

Good luck.

afterburn, Id'd be interested in knowing how this works out for you. Or, anyone?, with a link to "spongy abs" solution. I've been told several times (latest from the Subie dealer -- WRX abs related recall) that it's primarily due to the abs manifolding and plumbing and can't be rectified. I guess we'll see if maybe? it can be improved upon....?

....primarily due to the abs manifolding and plumbing and can't be rectified. I guess we'll see if maybe? it can be improved upon....?
I don't have the definitive answer, but do think the ABS systems have a tougher time by design to be quite as firm as the non-ABS models. There's just a ton more hoses and hardware to deflect. Comparing my ABS '05 to others I'd agree.

But, there have been reports of people rebleeding existing system and improving their brake feel. On the theory that the factory didn't bleed them properly. If there are air bubbles in the maze one technique reported is to tap or flick lines, fittings, and the ABS block while you're bleeding. Do the ones lowest and farthest away from the bleeders first and be prepared to go through a quart of fluid.

I changed over to the Spieglers myself and took my time at bleeding. I found my brakes were noticably better. Likely from the lines, but some of it could be from the bleeding too.

I tried bleeding again, using an aircompressor powered bleeder, and it give little to no improvement. However, when I squeeze the lever I can see the lines flex so I am pretty confident feel and pressure will be improved if I can get my hands on a brakeline kit.

Too bad I haven't found a supplier in the EU yet.

Having a part# is one step closer.
Part #S-YA0159...for the ABS model. However, if you have an 03 ABS, the lines will NOT work.

Spiegler is from a German back-round, so perhaps you could check if they make line kits somewhere in the mother land. Maybe, but no guarantees. When I wanted lines, Spiegler were the only ones anywhere willing to tackle the project. Good Luck!

My 2003 is the same as the 2005 US model. Is this the correct part# for it?
I’m not sure what you mean by that! Anyway, it’s easy enough to check your lines. Look at the front of the frame, where the lines go inside the frame itself and at the rear where they meet up with the ABS power unit. Where the rubber part joins the steel hardlines, there should be flair nut fittings. On the very first EURO ABS units, the rubber lines were swedged to the hardlines. Later on they were changed to have the flair nut fittings. At what time in production they were changed, I have no way of knowing. They should have fittings so the rubber lines will break from the hardlines. If not, then your only other option aside from dropping the engine (not), would be to replace the 2 hardlines with full-length SS lines.

We shouldn't discuss model years here, we should stick to model designations. :) Mine is a RP08. I didn't notice any flair nut fittings, but I will verify...

Afterburn,

Try going to www.cyclebrakes.com, down load the Galfer product catalog, and look at page three. It lists a kit # for FJR1300 ABS. I have ordered from cyclebrakes before and they were very helpful and had no problems with my order. Galfer SST lines also come in several colors like the Spiegler's

Bill

Well shit, I am thinking I have the one version that doesn't have screw on rubber lines connecting to the metal ones. What idiot designed this? :angry: :angry02: :angry03: