Brand New 2012 - dropped during make ready

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilli01

Reaction score
Tomorrow I fly from Calgary to Houston (for work) and then to New Orleans to pick up my brand new off the showroom floor 2012. I got a call today from the salesman. The technition dropped the bike and damaged the side luggagem mirror, and faring. Scratches they say. Because of my tight schedule I am taking the bike damaged and they will ship new parts to be in Calgary to replace. Any advice about any concerns other than the seeable cosmetics? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Twilli01 (new guy. First post.)

Past bikes: Fz1 gen1 FZ1 gen2 FJR gen1 VTX1800, Vulcan 1700, DRZ400sm,

Well, that sucks.... sounds minor from your description, but scratches on a brand new bike!! Look for any other scratch & dent damage on the exhaust cans, side covers, engine, etc. But if it was a minor drop, probably nothing more than cosmetics. The good news is, you get to keep all the damaged parts for another day. Garald can repaint them.....

Well I dropped my FJR, the day after I got her, she dropped to the right, the outside of the side mirror got dinged and so did the lower part of the fairing. Now here's the matter, were it gets tricky.... I would hope the tech did take off the saddle bags... Else the one which the bike fell on got at least a scratch, once there, have them show you your bike, sure I know you'll see it, yet, what is important, take your time and inspect your bike thoroughly! Write everything down, have them write a total list of needed parts to be shipped. This list will/ has to be part of a I OWE U form, the dealer has to sign.... Squeeze those fockers for goodies for you....... They need to suffer, good luck mate!

Depends on how hard it was dropped.

Be aware that the front sub-frame where the mirror attaches bends pretty easily.

Congrats on the purchase...you won't be disappointed!

--G

This might at least make me think about stalling until the 2013 FJR is on the market. I dropped my 07 when it was kind of new. I suspect I just barely bent the front sub-frame for the left mirror. it has been slightly (maybe 1/8 of an inch)out of alignment for 50K miles. This shows up in the windshield track slots, one of the windshield arms almost rubs the fairing. This would be a major pain to replace.

•  
  • Have they sent you photos of the damage?
  • Are they deducting the price of labor?
  • Do you have any recourse if they drag their feet on the parts and/or never send them.
  • Maybe they can deduct the price of the parts and labor from purchase price and let you purchase and install them yourself.
  • This may be your chance to get FZ1 mirrors.

On the other hand in 58,000 miles my bike has fallen over at 0 mph 3 times :eek: . Two times a mirror had to be replaced and both times the saddle bags were scratched. I plan to ride the bike for a few more years, it is still a great ride, stuff happens.

I live in New Orleans and am at your service while you are here. I can pick you up from the airport and get you to your bike at your convenience (I do have a committment Sunday 2-5pm though.

If you want a place to stay or a tour of the area or I'd enjoy riding with you a few hours when you head north, let me know.

If your bike is at "New Orleans Powersports" in Kenner, I live 10 minutes away from there and the airport.

I don't do PM's, but you can email me at "mholiver at patriotguard dot org" and we can exchange cell #'s for txt/voice.

I suppose Canada to USA cell and txt is extra, but I can turn on International by calling ATT.

Let me know if you'd like to get together. Be happy to take you to the best/cheap Nawlins' Creole and Seafood for your enjoyment.

rgds

Mike

Michael H Oliver

Parkway-shrimp-poboy-2.jpg

NOLAfood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make sure, before taking delivery, that another saddlebag from a new FJR fit just fine, installed easy, and wasn't 'crooked' when installed. Put bike on center stand, look down the axis. Anything out of whack? Bags? Mirrors? Pegs? Exhaust?

I once paid 28k for a camper. It was hit while on the mfr's lot by a low bed truck. 'No Problem' said the mfr. I said no, pulled my money back until they got me a brand new camper.

The reason I say all this - I had a deer strike on KrZy8, it wasn't totaled. Years and miles later, other issues, directly related to the deer strike, are rearing their ugly head.

Buyer beware.

IMHO, of course.

Bummer Twil! Don't forget to make sure they pay for all the shipping, taxes, duty and brokerage fees on the parts shipped to Canada.

A dealer dropped mine years ago and this is what we found, though I am commenting on possible peripheral damage - at least of a left side drop . . . . right side damage to cases and other possible points may differ: My machine did tip over on the right side at a gas station a number of years ago, though it fell against the pump and only the saddle bag was scratched up - I still ride with that screatched up bag, though I did buy a replacement set of bags and have Garauld paint them up in our mutual colour - that great blue that is the hallmark of the best looking FJRs on the road.

Mirror edge - can tweak the fairing stays and put things out of line

Saddle bag front corner - cosmetic only, unless the drop was at speed

Crank case cover leading edge - cosmetic only

Leading edge of the muffler - cosmetic only - check alignment

Tip of the clutch lever - can push the bars out of line

Tip of the handlebars - can push the bars out of line

While there is no duty on motorcycle parts, there will be GST to be paid on the full value of the parts they supply. They'd probably be better off just finding you another machine to buy.

On the other hand, can you even import a brand new FJR into Canada? I was under the impression that new vehicles need to meet all of the rules, including a metric-prime speedometer and vehicle immobiliser and daytime running lights - the US FJRs don't have immobilisers.

Then there's the fact that you'll have no warranty.

I hope you got a really killer deal.

Great discussion. Exactly what I was hoping for. I will check the operation of the windshield for misalignment. My primary concern was hidden damage under the faring.

Mike thank you for the kind offers for a ride to the shop and touring around Nola. I wont have time this time as I am riding to Houston tonight. A long day of travel. I am hoping off the plane at 3:30 and taxi to Halls Motorsports before they close at 5PM.

Someone commented on warranty in Canada. I think that is right. No warranty. None on my 2011 Honda Accord either. One of many costs associated with taking a work assignment out of country. Wont need it. (or a tow to Montana?)

Regarding getting a motorcycle in Canada it is realtively easy when A) titled in your home state (Texas) and B) bringing to Canada on a temporary work permit. You just ride it across the border. Importing is a big deal. You pay GST, inspection, modifications as required.

My first peanutbutter hamburger came from that famose place in the French Quarter. Forgot the name. Wife lived in Slidel for 5 years.

$12,500 out the door. About $5000 less than the price in Calgary. If there was one in Calgary.

Well covered advice. Those mirror brackets can bend and be hard to see until you adjust the mirrors. Accidents happen, they should be happy to make it right!

Actually, I assumed you were importing it, because your location is in Canada. You aren't so you WILL have warranty on the machine as long as it remains registered and plated in the US.

Depends on how hard it was dropped.

Be aware that the front sub-frame where the mirror attaches bends pretty easily.

Congrats on the purchase...you won't be disappointed!

--G
+1

Escapefjrtist has asked the most-important question. You don't say if they told you what they meant by "dropped." Was it just a case of the technician wheeling it across the floor and losing the handle? In which case, that's something most of us have done, and the damage will in fact be just cosmetic, and this is probably just the first of several times this top-heavy beast will be on its side during its lifetime; or did it fall off the lift, in which case no matter how good a deal they are offering I would walk away instead of ride away.

But another serious issue is that I hope you're not being too trusting. Bear in mind ithat, once you take the bike home, if they don't actually ship the parts, or if the shipment you receive is incomplete, or if the parts you receive are somehow wrong, you're not going to have a lot of leverage to get this fixed from Calgary.

To check for the front subframe that holds the mirrors, check the gap between the mirror stem and the screen. If they're different on each side, the subframe is bent. It can be straightened, it's up to you what you'll accept.

Couple of pictures taken after my bike was blown over.

(click on image for larger view)

Bad side, (broken) stem close to screen - Good side, just over 1/4 inch gap.

Check bottom front edge of the wide bit of the silencer, engine case, even the light on the side of the fairing, gear-change lever or brake pedal (should be absolutely square to the bike) - don't know which side it fell on.

I bought my 09 FJR used, the owner dropped it on the left side at a stop. Side bags were not installed. Damage noted: Dent in muffler, scratches on left edge the tupperware left of the tank. Left mirror bent in about 1/4 inch. The mirror wasn't noticed untill I bought a larger windshield and noticed that at full down it hit the mirror stalk. I did a little trimming with a dremel/repaint on the stalk and all is fine. I've been advised that its easy to correct the bend of the subframe but I haven't done that yet. Best wishes, Bill

I got a call today from the salesman. The technition dropped the bike and damaged the side luggagem mirror, and faring. Scratches they say. Because of my tight schedule I am taking the bike damaged and they will ship new parts to be in Calgary to replace. Any advice about any concerns other than the seeable cosmetics? Has
get it all in writing in a contract signed by the owner or head honcho manager

too bad you can't hold back some $$$ till they do the right thing

Hall's is across the river about 30 minutes from the airport

I would have been happy to pick you up and Indy you there quickest that's faster than a cab

best to you...I know it'll all work out

Mike

Dropped my new one about six months ago. As stated the support bracket under front fairing which attaches to mirror may very well be bent and I can only say there was a slight bulge in fairing on impact side which gave it away for me. Everything else will be cosmetic and expensive. So look it over carefully as others have stated. Just one rear bag was approx. $750 bucks! You can't just replace outer cover of bag. You have to buy a total bag and swap out latch.