break-in procedure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el camino kid

Reaction score
What's the proper procedure for a new '08? The owner's manual just says keep it below 4500 revs for the first 600 miles, then under 5400 revs till 1000 miles. Sounds a bit vague to me.

Paul

You are supposed to vary the RPMs continually and to avoid full throttle operation during the official procedure.

It's too late for you to use the alternative 'Motorman' break-in that some people embrace. That has to be done starting instantly on delivery. The first 15 miles or so are critical to the concept.

Do a search, grab a coke and get ready to be reading for an hour or so. Many different ideas of what a proper break-in are; you just have to read them all and make the final decision on your own evaluation. (Generally the consensus is, that it just doesn't make that much of a difference on how you do the break-in.) I would short-change your oil at a minimum though.

What's the proper procedure for a new '08? The owner's manual just says keep it below 4500 revs for the first 600 miles, then under 5400 revs till 1000 miles. Sounds a bit vague to me.
Paul

I did the recommendation and at 4500 rpm in 5th you're doing over 80mph...nice and

easy but you do get through the break-in in less time, eh?

bigjimbiker

Break-in proceedure:

Find the twistiest, most insane mountain roads you can find and carve them just as hard as possible. Keep the rpms under 6k and run through the gears as needed. That is what I did and it was a blast.

Paul
What's vague about that?

Think of it this way: Treat the FJR like a virgin. Have some fun, but be gentle for the first 600 miles, then up the ante but still take it easy for the next 400. After that you can begin to channel your inner squid.

Be kind to your FJR, and your FJR will be kind to you.

Paul
Great Question and you'll get many answers. I personally don't subscribe to the Motorman or break em in hard and they run faster school of thought for a street engine. I agree with you that Yamaha is a little vague about an optimum engine break-in procedure. But I do think Yamaha said it well in their recommended engine break-in procedure when they said "There is never a more important period in the life of your engine than the period between 0 and 1600km (1000mi). For this reason you should read the following material carefully. Since the engine is brand new, do not put an excessive load on it for the first 1600km (1000mi). The various parts in the engine wear and polish themselves to the correct operating clearances. During this period, prolonged full-throttle operation or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided.". The biggest concerns during engine break-in is HEAT and lugging the engine!!! I've used the S&S Cycle engine break-in procedure for over 25 years and have always had excellent results. In the end the choice is yours as to what engine break-in method you use. With the way modern engines are built to survive just about any kind of abuse even the wrong engine break-in procedure may only result in a little loss of engine longevity and performance.

FROM S&S Cycle

Engine Break-In Procedure

Note: S&S engines are designed for high performance

and as such are not as tolerant of inadequate break-in

as stock or lower performance engines. Correct breakin

will assure longer engine life and will prevent

unnecessary engine damage. Engine damage caused

by improper break-in is not covered under the S&S

warranty.

A. Initial start up. Run engine approximately one

minute at 1250-1750 rpm. DO NOT crack

throttle or subject to any loads during this period

as head gaskets are susceptible to failure at

this time. During this time, check to see that oil

pressure is normal, that oil is returning the oil

tank, and that no leaks exist.

B. Shut off engine and thoroughly check for any

leaks or other problems. Let engine cool to the

touch.

C. After engine has cooled, start up again and

allow the motor to build some heat. Engine

should be run no longer than three to four

minutes. When the cylinders become warm/

hot to the touch (approximately 150°) shut the

motor down and let it cool to room temp. Follow

the same cautions as for the initial start-up, and

continue to watch for problems.

D. Repeat this procedure 3 or 4 times. Each

successive time it should take slightly longer to

warm up and you can increase the temp slightly

each time (+10°). You can be more liberal each

time with the rpm, gently vary rpm continuously

from idle up to 2500 rpm in the final cycle. Don?t

be too concerned with final carb settings at this

time because idle speed and mixture cannot

be correctly set until the motor reaches full

operating temperature. The motor should not

reach that temperature during these cycles. Do

not allow engine temperature to become

excessive. After the motor has cooled to room

temperature for the final time you are ready to

start the 1000 mile engine break-in process.

E. The first 50 miles are most critical for new rings

and piston break-in. Engine damage is most

likely to occur during this period. Keep heat

down by not exceeding 2500 rpm. Avoid lugging

the motor, riding in hot weather or in traffic. Vary

the engine speed. Do not lug the engine. We

recommend changing the oil at 50 miles.

F. The next 500 miles should be spent running

engine no faster than 3500 rpm or 60 mph.

Avoid continuous steady speeds, and do not

lug the engine. Vary engine rpm. We

recommend changing the oil again at 500 miles.

CAUTION - Lugging or running engine prematurely at

sustained high rpm may result in damage to pistons and

other engine components. S&S voids it's guarantee if

engine is not broken in properly.

G. For the balance of the first 1000 miles the motor can

be run in a normal but conservative manner. You can

be more liberal with the rpm range and motorcycle

can be operated at normal highway speeds. Avoid

overheating or putting any hard strain on the engine:

no drag racing, dyno runs, excessive speed, trailer

towing or sidecar operation.

H. After 1000 miles, verify carburetor jetting and

adjustment. Change the engine oil. Motorcycle can

now be operated normally.

I. Have Fun!

OK Boys...I appreciate the tips. I've already put 45 miles on mine, so the S&S plan is out. I guess I'll drive moderately, varying the revs and staying below 4500, with occasional 1/2 throttle runs from 2500 to 4500 for the first 600 miles. Change the oil & filter. Then the same program, but increasing max revs to 5500 and using 3/4 throttle for the short run-ups. Change the oil & filter again at 1000 miles then figure I did my job! Thanks again for the tips!

Paul

Much discussed in many forums world-wide. Fun topic.

Motoman's break in procedure is what I use on all my engines. Seats everything real nice. 32,000 miles on my '07 FJR and it is running very (very) strong, no oil consumption, abnormal noises, or other issues. Ride it hard, keep the oil changed, service it at regularly scheduled intervals *and* if or when you have any abnormalities.

I rode the living piss out of mine (brand new) the second I hopped on it. Near red-line after a thorough warm up (at least 25 minutes of riding) and I still ride it that way. One should never run an engine hard until it is properly warmed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I used the Motoman break in procedure (modified as I didn't have enough space to do it per instructions) read about it on this forum. Also, after watching the series Twist the Throttle on the HD Theater channel I also realize that riding hard for the first 25 miles might not make any difference.

It seems that the bikes are ran for a period of time at all manufacturers to insure QC. So, It couldn't hurt to change the oil right away (I did mine at 25 miles - oil/filter) and then did the 600 mile service at the dealership. Varying the throttle is the most important piece until 1000K.

Then ride how you want.

That's what I did and we'll see how long my '08 lasts. I bet as long as I own it! :)

I tried to break mine in nice a easy, but its impossible...this bike wants to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I LOVE MY FJR! I did change the oil at 200 miles though...if there are any metal shavings in the oil, I feel it will happen fast, at least in the first couple hundred...so I get that oil out early....Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Break-in proceedure:
Find the twistiest, most insane mountain roads you can find and carve them just as hard as possible. Keep the rpms under 6k and run through the gears as needed. That is what I did and it was a blast.
Thats exactly what I did this last weekend. 1400 miles trying to keep up with these insane freaks on R1's in the most bad ass twisties Arkansas has!

This was also the first 1400 miles on my new 08.

Break-in proceedure:
Thats exactly what I did this last weekend. 1400 miles trying to keep up with these insane freaks on R1's in the most bad ass twisties Arkansas has!

Do you have aftermarket suspenders on your new '08 there Scott? Trying to keep up with R1s...I think maybe you're the insane one.

How's the bike breaking in? Good as your '06?

Thats exactly what I did this last weekend. 1400 miles trying to keep up with these insane freaks on R1's in the most bad ass twisties Arkansas has!This was also the first 1400 miles on my new 08.
[SIZE=10pt]Chasing R1's eh? ... that's always fun ...[/SIZE]

Break-in proceedure:

Do you have aftermarket suspenders on your new '08 there Scott? Trying to keep up with R1s...I think maybe you're the insane one.

How's the bike breaking in? Good as your '06?
I was trying to keep up, not doing a very good job either. Those guys on the R1's didnt know a FJR would run quite that well, but still, a good sport bike rider will get away from ya quick!

Yeah I had a Penske put on and the forks revalved and sprung before I got 100 miles on it. Its every bit as good as my 06.