Bridgestone B21 tires and concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got both my front and real B21's replaced under warranty. At about 3000 miles I started to have a strange 1" high ridge in the center of the front tire. It basically looks like a flat spot and the sides wearing thinner. I took it into Desert Valley Powersports (Awesome people by the way) and had Glen took a look at them. He said it was very strange and has had no previous B21's wear concerns. He asked me the pressure I had been running and I told him 40/42. He said he would look into it. I guess on one of his calls he was told they should be set at 38/42 tire pressure. I'm not sure 2lbs would have mattered that much but for the next 1500 miles I ran them at 38/42 and it seemed to get worse.
Long story short, Glen made more calls and got Bridgestone to replace both the front and back (back tire was starting to do the same) under Warranty. I guess his main Rep. had the same issues with his BMW and B21's. From my research, I'm thinking the weight of the FJR and BMW is just too much for this new design. I didn't have any of these issues with my previous B20's. I was really happy to be getting new tires so didn't push the issue about just getting some new PR2 instead. So, I'll see if I have better luck with the new set. I'm thinking either way I'm moving to PR2 next time.

My point is, if you are seeing same issues with your B21's you might want to talk to your tire guy for a new set.

Dave

PS. I was going to post in never ending but it wouldn't allow me.

I just got both my front and real B21's replaced under warranty. At about 3000 miles I started to have a strange 1" high ridge in the center of the front tire. It basically looks like a flat spot and the sides wearing thinner. I took it into Desert Valley Powersports (Awesome people by the way) and had Glen took a look at them. He said it was very strange and has had no previous B21's wear concerns. He asked me the pressure I had been running and I told him 40/42. He said he would look into it. I guess on one of his calls he was told they should be set at 38/42 tire pressure. I'm not sure 2lbs would have mattered that much but for the next 1500 miles I ran them at 38/42 and it seemed to get worse.
Long story short, Glen made more calls and got Bridgestone to replace both the front and back (back tire was starting to do the same) under Warranty. I guess his main Rep. had the same issues with his BMW and B21's. From my research, I'm thinking the weight of the FJR and BMW is just too much for this new design. I didn't have any of these issues with my previous B20's. I was really happy to be getting new tires so didn't push the issue about just getting some new PR2 instead. So, I'll see if I have better luck with the new set. I'm thinking either way I'm moving to PR2 next time.

My point is, if you are seeing same issues with your B21's you might want to talk to your tire guy for a new set.

Dave

PS. I was going to post in never ending but it wouldn't allow me.
Duster 19,

Rides Alone here. I got a similar wear pattern on my Perelli Diablo Stradas. My dealer is quite concerned and seems to blame it on improper air pressure. I usually run 40/42 pounds.

[SIZE=18pt][/size][/SIZE]

Duster 19,

Rides Alone here. I got a similar wear pattern on my Perelli Diablo Stradas. My dealer is quite concerned and seems to blame it on improper air pressure. I usually run 40/42 pounds.

This air pressure stuff is so BS. Have run the same pressure in every set of tires, only the Stones went all Egyptian on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe I'm reading that you guys are getting 3000 miles out of a BT21's. I got about 1700 out of each of the 2 I had. Like Rad said too, If someone tells you it's because of the tire pressure they're dead wrong. They are crap tires and shouldn't be fitted onto the FJR.

JW

If you got a very similar wear pattern on a front Pirelli Diablo Strada, to that gawdawful Bridgestone BT-021 front in the pics, then you definitely have something to be concerned about.

The BT-021 front is a well-established sucker of moist ass cheese. If you like the way the BT-021 rear handles, then I wouldn't go running to the Mich PR2 right away. Give us tester types a bit longer.

You should be fine with a Pirelli Diablo Strada front at 38-40 psi and a BT-021 rear at 40-42 psi. Those two rubbers agree with each other.

Update...

1000 miles on second set of B21's and don't see any wear issues as of yet. Not really surprised since I didn't start to notice the odd front tire wearing until around 3000 miles.

Like many have said, I don't think tire pressure is the cause for the B21's to be a POS tire. With that said, I'm just posting to let people know if the second set does the same (I'm sure they will) :(

Dave

I had BT021's on my 08 when I got it. The front was totally done at around 5K miles:

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

4K of those miles were slab. The rear fared better, and probably had another 2-3K left, but had a flat spot like an Arizona mesa. The PR2 rear doesn't flat spot as bad as the 021's.

42/42psi

I still like my matched set of PR2's, but I'm wondering if the hot setup might be a front PR2 and a rear BT021.

My last set wore the same way. I have replaced the front with Dunlop Roadsmarts and have the rear in the garage to put on. I have tried all kinds of air pressures on two sets and got the same wear pattern. Feels weird turning in with them worn that way.

Ed

Just got word back from Yamaha about the tires. The rep told the service department that they would "goodwill" a front tire for me, even though he still insists that I ran low air pressure. Still don't like the response, but It'll buy me a little more time before shelling out more $$$ for the bike.

The wife hasn't reallized my seat is in CA getting the Russell treatment yet, so one surprise at a time. Not that we can't afford it...she just thinks I'm never satisfied with a bike, and that it's a money pit. She might be a little right, but I won't let her know! B)

I just looked at my 08 and noticed the same wear pattern particulalry on my fronts. My bike only has 3,200 miles!! Looks like I'll be calling the dealer as well.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I ran my tires at 38ish, and was told to run them higher becuase of the heavier bike. I ran them at 40-42 for the last 2K and it didn't help at all. Got 6K barely.

Just to make sure, before I order. The Pierelli Diable Strada will be a good combo with a B21 rear?. I'm sure my front will wear out before my B21 rear and will try to just go with a new front (other then a Bridgestone) before I get my next matching pair.

Dave

This information should be made permanent. MY dealer is going to warrentee them then i will pay the difference for a set of PR2s thanks to this posting!

same results on the front, I am glad that I'm not the only one feeling the turn in problem. I wrote Bridgestone to inform them of the problem.

I managed to get 7000 miles out of my front which is totally done. (Looks like those in the photo) I mighte get another 1000 miles out of the rear, but its pretty square due to the flat grid I live on. I actually liked the 021 rear on the FJR.

I am not sure if you guys are aware but BS is now making a different coded tire for the front's of the Connie & FJR. I have no idea what the special E & F coding means.

Bridgstone Fitament chart

Just to make sure, before I order. The Pierelli Diable Strada will be a good combo with a B21 rear?. I'm sure my front will wear out before my B21 rear and will try to just go with a new front (other then a Bridgestone) before I get my next matching pair.

Dave
I'm on my 3rd Strada front (I run the Strada 'E' on the rear) and the fronts each time have done exactly the same thing. The original Metz I got on the bike did not.

I DO like the way the Stradas handle and they get excellent mileage, but that front wear pattern is disconcerting.

The mech at my dealer said that "it is usually a tire pressure issue, but I know that can't be the case with you - you are a perfectionist about those things" and she (yes, she) wished me luck with the next set she was spooning on.

So, why would the sides wear out so much more quickly than the center patch if they aren't all dual compound?

I am not sure if you guys are aware but BS is now making a different coded tire for the front's of the Connie & FJR. I have no idea what the special E & F coding means.Bridgstone Fitament chart
I did know that (C-14) -- but, haven't been able to source one yet to buy and try (didn't know that there was an 'FJR' spec one, tho). I actually like the way 021s work -- especially the long-life rear. Would like the front, too -- if only it would last as long as the rear.

My fronts look just like the pictures.

Don't let them give you that "too low pressure" BS -- I currently have been running 43psi front 48psi rear with the same results. More pressure seems to help stave-off bad-handling feel -- but, at the cost of a harsher ride.

Big powerful sport-touring bikes can destroy front tires -- especially when ridden with verve on mountain roads. I had a Michelin tire rep tell me that the bike manufacturers know this and are willing to sacrifice the tires for handling -- it's not their problem (it's the tire company's problem).

This information should be made permanent. MY dealer is going to warrentee them then i will pay the difference for a set of PR2s thanks to this posting!

My original thought was to just try to be helpful like SO many are on here. I have read and learned a lot form other post. I have NO clue why the B21's fronts are doing what they are doing, but I feel that Bridgestone has a problem with this design. If they didn't advertise the B21's for the Sport Touring bikes, I would not be complaining. However, it is becoming more and more evident that there is a defect with this particular tire.

With all that said, "I'm just happy to see others have found this thread useful."

Dave

PS. I'll keep you updated. I'm at 1500 miles on replacement front and it seems to be starting the funny wear problem. Can't see the problem, but if you run your finger across it feels as if there is a center ledge developing. :(