Bridgestone BT023GT Impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

900gc

Reaction score
Finally replaced the Michelin PR2's. Those wore like iron as they say, so much so in my case that I got tired of the heavy steering waaay too long and replaced them with a couple thousand miles left on the tread. ( Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to burn them up on long trips ).

As with any new tire, I rejoiced greatly in the restored neutral handling and steering but what I noticed immediately and really, really liked was the softer carcass and more compliant bump absorption (same pressures). If I had to put a number on it I'd say about 25% better than the PR2's. The 023's are much smoother over broken pavement and found that it added to the overall comfort of riding the bike. Never did like the harshness of the PR2's so...
yes2.gif
for the 'Stones.

As for traction; I did a track day 2 days ago on the FJR @ NHMS( aka Loudon) and came away very impressed with how well these tires gripped. 2 dry sessions, 2 lightly damp sessions and 1 soaking wet session. In the dry sessions, rolling on to WOT in second and third gear while standing the bike up on corner exits brought no drama. Scraped the peg feelers in damp conditions a couple times with no slips at all and worked up to a pretty brisk pace in the pouring rain as well with no issues.

As others have mentioned, the worn PR2 front tire was a little skittish at full lean while the 023 front feels very planted and secure. Perhaps the softer carcass contributes to that.

So far so good. Now lets see how many miles they last and how well they maintain their performance as they wear.

Cheers.

Nice review!Agree to all,especially about the smooth and comfortable..

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just replaced the OEM BT-023's on my '13 at only 5,700 miles (both front and rear were toast). They started squaring off and handling terribly late in their life cycle as well. Put on PR3's since I've always liked the wear and handling of PR2's on other bikes--so far I like them on the FJR. The PR2's certainly didn't handle as well when they got worn as when they were new, but not as badly as the BT-023's did--won't be buying Bridgestones again.

On my third set of 023GTs and still love the neutral handling and ride. Can't say much about the standard 023 as I haven't tried them and probably won't.

--G

On my first set of 023GT and i can tell how much smooth and comfortable are these tires!!You feel that you have installed a softer shock absorber!!

Also the grip is very good!!Great tires for me..!!

Just replaced the OEM BT-023's on my '13 at only 5,700 miles (both front and rear were toast)...
I don't think the OEM BT-023s are the GTs.

I'm hoping I get good results like George/escapefjrtist with the GTs on my upcoming 4500 mile trip with wifey to CO, UT and Grand Canyon.

Love my 023 GT's. On my 3rd set also. Not going back to Michelins, unless they get their heads outta their butts and can compete with the GT's on grip, handling and price.

Ran 023R on the front and a 023GT on the back for my around North America trip. The rear should have been an 023R too but the GT was installed by accident. (we didn't read the sidewall) Anyway the front has 22300kms or 13856miles. The rear lasted 13000kms or 8077miles. The tires stuck like glue to the road. No complaints here.

Interesting observation that the GTs felt softer and more compliant to you. I wonder if that was why some folks reported they liked pumping them up a bit higher? I've been running the fronts at 40psi and have no real complaints.

BT023-GT put on 9/16/2012; aired up to 44 psi and maintained there and now 6,100 miles later. A week before CFR I had my FJR state inspected and at that time the wear bars were no place to be seen, deep down in the tread.; ~1,800 miles later -->

023-GT-1_zps1c8bef0f.jpg

023-GT-2_zpsd7973549.jpg

023-GT-3_zpsd53a18a8.jpg

bridgestone_battlax_bt023_sport_touring_rear_tire_detail.jpg

Edit:

Made me look. The tread pattern shown in this picture is backwards from the way my tire is mounted.; Trot, trot down to the garage and take a lookie-see. My tires are indeed mounted correctly. For a quick flash I wondered if I had discovered why my 023s don't represent the mainstream results.

I've got a pair of trusty ol' PR2s sitting on my front porch that I will be putting on ASAP. Heaven knows, it looks like I'm going to need a good rain tire for the rest of the summer.
Snorkle.gif

Just replaced the OEM BT-023's on my '13 at only 5,700 miles (both front and rear were toast)...

I'm hoping I get good results like George/escapefjrtist with the GTs on my upcoming 4500 mile trip with wifey to CO, UT and Grand Canyon.
No, they're not the GT's and, as you can tell, I'm not impressed. What is the difference between these and the GT's?

No, they're not the GT's and, as you can tell, I'm not impressed. What is the difference between these and the GT's?
George???

I don't think the OEM BT-023s are the GTs.I'm hoping I get good results like George/escapefjrtist with the GTs on my upcoming 4500 mile trip with wifey to CO, UT and Grand Canyon.
George???
Haven't studied the specs, but the GT has an extra ply in the rear tire making it more suitable for heavier (FJR) bikes. Can't explain why the front GT does so much better than a standard 023.

On the related subject, I test rode a '13 FJR last week at a Yamaha dealer event. The demo bike had 3,9XX miles on it and the stock front 023 was completely shagged. Bike handled terrible, steering was HEAVY and it didn't want to turn at all. Told the demo dudes on the Yamaha truck but they weren't interested in hearing it. Too bad really, the demo bike was not a good example of what a FJR is.

I'm approaching 7K miles on the current set of GTs with the rear about 75% gone and the front still with a nice round profile. This set is following the same wear as the last set...still happy with them!

--G

Have to agree on the sidewall stiffness comparison. When I took the OEM BT 023's (non GT) off and replaced them with PR2's I had to take one click of compression damping out of the front and two clicks out of the back to get to the same ride quality (same pressures).

The more I read about the good experiences folks are having with 023 GT's the more convinced I become that the Gen III OEM's are some kind of special "home of the low overhead deal" buy Yamaha got rather than the genuine article. @ 4,500 miles my rear, despite having ample center tread remaining, was as square as a shoe box; as if the sidewalls had collapsed.

Hey 900gc,

Thanks for your review, its given me a little peace of mind on my recent decision to stick with the BT-023. I have a pair waiting for installation at a local shop, currently on a self imposed moto "time out" due to recent (bad) behavioral issues. While these are not GT's and my OEM's were BT-022's, I found them to be reliable and some what forgiving on those occacions when applying too much throttle at lean angel in both wet and dry conditions. I have on several occasions had the rear start to slide out from under me, opp error, when it grabs with out sitting me upright or throwing me over. The one thing I have noticed is they require daily pressure checks, any decrease in pressure ass little as 11/2 psi caused the bike be "heavy" especially at low speeds. Again, thanks for your review.

To all Be Good, Be Safe,

Daniel

Hey 900gc,Thanks for your review, its given me a little peace of mind on my recent decision to stick with the BT-023. I have a pair waiting for installation at a local shop, currently on a self imposed moto "time out" due to recent (bad) behavioral issues. While these are not GT's and my OEM's were BT-022's, I found them to be reliable and some what forgiving on those occacions when applying too much throttle at lean angel in both wet and dry conditions. I have on several occasions had the rear start to slide out from under me, opp error, when it grabs with out sitting me upright or throwing me over. The one thing I have noticed is they require daily pressure checks, any decrease in pressure ass little as 11/2 psi caused the bike be "heavy" especially at low speeds. Again, thanks for your review.

To all Be Good, Be Safe,

Daniel
Didn't mention......still riding every day, a Trek GT rode bike..............go Tour De France, love the mountain stages.

Couple of pics of my prior GT spec rear tire at 8,100 miles. Would have run it a few hundred more locally but last years Reuben Run needed a better tire than this!
tonguesmiley.gif

RearTire4.jpg

RearTire5.jpg

--G

Couple of pics of my prior GT spec rear tire at 8,100 miles. Would have run it a few hundred more locally but last years Reuben Run needed a better tire than this!
tonguesmiley.gif

RearTire4.jpg

RearTire5.jpg

--G
The first pic really shows the dual compound design of the tires. At this point, I'd consider these toast as well (though nowhere near the ultra shagged rear of ion's)! Since much of my riding is solo and mostly steady speed highway commuting, including city streets and moderate speed side roads, I'm guessing I'll get over 10k out of the rear and 13k front (unless I do a few more track days!).