Bridgestone BT023GT Impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was impressed with the radical demarcation between the two compounds in the above picture too. Never seen it so well illustrated before. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

As for ionbeam's tire wear vs the same model tire above, I wonder if the difference is related to the loading. I can attest that on the ride to and from CFR we were loaded for a week long tour, were two up and I led the group through some fun sporty roads through Vermont and the Adirondack mountains. That said, my own half worn PR2 rear didn't suffer nearly as much wear under nearly the same circumstances (ion's pillion is a bit bigger than mine). Perhaps the GTs are just not cut out for such heavy loads?

I just spooned (hammered) on a set of regular 023's last night....they're the stiffest fricken' tires I've ever mounted in the 12 years I've been doing it! I can't imagine the GT's being any stiffer. I went with the regulars since I ride solo most of the time and...well...they were cheaper! I'll let ya know how they work out. Haven't even scrubbed 'em in yet, it was bed time when I finished mounting them last night and of course there's a real good chance of thunderstorms today...again...

I was impressed with the radical demarcation between the two compounds in the above picture too. Never seen it so well illustrated before. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. As for ionbeam's tire wear vs the same model tire above, I wonder if the difference is related to the loading. I can attest that on the ride to and from CFR we were loaded for a week long tour, were two up and I led the group through some fun sporty roads through Vermont and the Adirondack mountains. That said, my own half worn PR2 rear didn't suffer nearly as much wear under nearly the same circumstances (ion's pillion is a bit bigger than mine). Perhaps the GTs are just not cut out for such heavy loads?
As with sport/touring designated bikes, some sport/touring designated tires seem to be better suited towards the sport side (023GT) while others to the touring side (PR2). As with many other things, a persons riding style/habits has much to do with which tire is "best suited" for them. I think you are on to something with running an 023GT front and PR2 rear. Might be an "ideal" combo!

Seconding what shabby says. The Bridgestones have really stiff carcasses. I noticed this with the BT021 and the new 23s (not the GT) that I have on my long-term Honda NC700X. (That rear wore a bit better than the OE Metzeler Z8 at the expense of ride quality.) Our project FJR--an update on which is coming this week--has the Roadsmart IIs, which I like quite a lot apart from the slightly flat profile, which slows the FJR's steering.

Anyway, I've mounted many PR2s, and you can almost put them on by hand compared to the BT023. Big difference in the way Bridgestone and Michelin build tires...

As I have stated many times...I really like the 023's and have run many sets. Since I like them I should have known.... Bridgestone will now be discontinuing them and replacing with the T 30's. The S-20's all already out and the T-30's should be - but I cannot seem to find them. Has anyone found them yet?

People are raving about the S-20's so I am hoping the T-30's are also a step up.

As I have stated many times...I really like the 023's and have run many sets. Since I like them I should have known.... Bridgestone will now be discontinuing them and replacing with the T 30's. The S-20's all already out and the T-30's should be - but I cannot seem to find them. Has anyone found them yet?
People are raving about the S-20's so I am hoping the T-30's are also a step up.
Fack.

Tire evolution continues. Hopefully the new tires are an improvement to the current 023GTs, if not, I'll be searching for my next favorite tire if that's not the case...

I've got one more GT set stashed, me thinks I'll buy another set for good measure!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Got curious and did some more checking. Although the S20 and T30's were launched together, only the S20 has made to this side of the pond. I guess there are a lot of 023's still hanging around good ole U S of A.

Also to note, according to Bridgestone the BT 023 is not available in the 190/55/17. That is odd since I have been running them for a couple years now. Them darn lazy marketers...can't they even keep the website current?!!!

Seconding what shabby says. The Bridgestones have really stiff carcasses. I noticed this with the BT021 and the new 23s (not the GT) that I have on my long-term Honda NC700X. (That rear wore a bit better than the OE Metzeler Z8 at the expense of ride quality.) Our project FJR--an update on which is coming this week--has the Roadsmart IIs, which I like quite a lot apart from the slightly flat profile, which slows the FJR's steering.
Anyway, I've mounted many PR2s, and you can almost put them on by hand compared to the BT023. Big difference in the way Bridgestone and Michelin build tires...
That's why I pay a dealer to put them on.
tonguesmiley.gif
Don't know why they feel stiffer to mount since they absolutely ride softer.

Tire evolution continues. Hopefully the new tires are an improvement to the current 023GTs, if not, I'll be searching for my next favorite tire if that's not the case...
I've got one more GT set stashed, me thinks I'll buy another set for good measure!

--G
The other tire I'd be interested in is the new Angel GT. I eagerly await real world feedback as these make their way into the market.

That's why I pay a dealer to put them on.
tonguesmiley.gif
Don't know why they feel stiffer to mount since they absolutely ride softer.
I haven't had a chance to even scuff them in yet(fricken' storms!) but I was wondering the same thing from other's comments on the ride.

I didn't really notice the BT023GT rear being any more difficult to spoon on or remove than any other tires. I've mounted PR2, PR3, Pirelli Stradas, Roadsmarts, and the Bridgestones in the recent past and none were much different from the others. The only ones that were considerably tougher to mount were the B spec PR2 and the E spec Pirelli Stradas (both on other people's bikes). Well that and the stupid Yokohama car tire I tried briefly. ;)

When this thread popped up, along with Ionbeam's mention of his BT-023 issues in another thread, I was in the process of hunting down the best price on a set to replace my PR2s. Paul (hubby) had replaced his PR2's with set of the regular 023s on his FJR following NERDS last year. He's been very happy with them, has no complaints about handling in wet conditions (and we saw plenty of rain on our Maritimes trip), and they're wearing well, so I thought I'd give them a try. However, I decided to put the shopping on hold while I watched this thread for a while. Thanks for sharing your experiences. In the end, given that he has had no issues with the 023s so far, the Bird is about 100 pounds lighter than the FJR, I ride solo, and the 023's cost less, I ordered a set last night. I figure if I'm not happy with them, I can always get something else and pass the 023s on to Paul for his next set!

On a related note, there's been a bit of chatter on the CBR1100XX forum about the new T30s, and several of the overseas members are starting to run them, so far with no complaints.

I didn't really notice the BT023GT rear being any more difficult to spoon on or remove than any other tires. I've mounted PR2, PR3, Pirelli Stradas, Roadsmarts, and the Bridgestones in the recent past and none were much different from the others. The only ones that were considerably tougher to mount were the B spec PR2 and the E spec Pirelli Stradas (both on other people's bikes). Well that and the stupid Yokohama car tire I tried briefly.
wink.png
I got the non-GT 023's. Maybe they're stiffer....doesn't make much sense, but I've mounted a bunch of PR2's and they were much easier.

I looked around for the T30 tire also but was told by several of the online vendors and by the local shops I visit that the T30 is not available in the US yet. Actually both shops had never even heard to the T30 as a replacement for the BT023-GT.

I looked around for the T30 tire also but was told by several of the online vendors and by the local shops I visit that the T30 is not available in the US yet. Actually both shops had never even heard to the T30 as a replacement for the BT023-GT.
Yep, they are not released on this side of the pond yet...just the S20. Certainly not the first time that a local shop did not know what was going on in the industry.

I didn't really notice the BT023GT rear being any more difficult to spoon on or remove than any other tires... The only ones that were considerably tougher to mount were the B spec PR2 and the E spec Pirelli Stradas (both on other people's bikes)...
Sorry about that! I would be the 'other people' that buys tough tires. When Fred changes the tires I stand nearby and do the sweating and swearing so Fred can focus on installing the tires :lol: The bad news continues, I have a new PR2-B sitting in my garage waiting to replace my BT023GT.

I didn't really notice the BT023GT rear being any more difficult to spoon on or remove than any other tires... The only ones that were considerably tougher to mount were the B spec PR2 and the E spec Pirelli Stradas (both on other people's bikes)...
Sorry about that! I would be the 'other people' that buys tough tires. When Fred changes the tires I stand nearby and do the sweating and swearing so Fred can focus on installing the tires
laugh.png
The bad news continues, I have a new PR2-B sitting in my garage waiting to replace my BT023GT.
Well, leaving tommorrow on my POS tires for a trip to Utah and Colorado.
Wish me luck!
biggrin.png