** BRODIE NEEDS OUR HELP ** Serious Collision **

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, I wonder what caused that tank damage? No man has sack steel enough to crush a tank like that.. Maybe his left arm, or perhaps one of his gigantous feet did the damage?

Damn - I'm just happy my bud is OK! :yahoo:

I see a " Brodie" online reading this thread. I assume there is only one. That's good news! (that you are online)
Hang in there and please share what brand of helment you were wearing, when you are able.

Bellman

The brand of my premium helmet is actually secondary to the closeness of it's fit. I have a very "Long Oval" head and the best fitting helmet for my head shape just happens to be an ARAI Profile. When I go to the Cycleworld Motorcycle show every winter, I check in with Bruce Porter at the ARAI booth. He originally fit me in a Signet years ago. He maintains that most people buy helmets 1-2 sizes too big - too loose. Mine was a very snug fit but encompassed my full cranium. When I made that "pumpkin" sized hole in that windshield the EPS "coffee cup" foam liner had every chance to do it's job which is to slow my head in a more controlled manner. It doesn't feel like it if you were to run your hand inside my helmet, but that liner is spent. It did it's job well.

Just to drive the point home about proper fit, the opening of my helmet is very narrow. My Son could not put his head in it. I could tell when a haircut was due just by the fit. I tried a helmet liner but it gave me a headache. This same helmet, I have 2 of them, I take everywhere at all temperature extremes.

When all is said & done, it's ATGATT, ALL The Gear ALL The Time!!!

Don't skimp on it - ever.
[SIZE=12pt]On a side note, let me put credit where credit truly belongs... [/SIZE]

I ride with my Co-Pilot whenever I swing a leg over a bike. He is the real reason I am here at all.
He took real good care of me at the point of impact, with the excellent first responders, the medical people who used their training and expertise to mend my broken body. My faith is in Jesus and He is looking out after me.

Many thanks to the members of this fantastic FJRForum, many of whom I never met. Thank you for keeping me in your prayers / thoughts. You are all a great group of people. :good:

Brodie

So Brodie, did your co-pilot give you a really big set or do you wear a codpiece of steel for protection? Don Carver just HAS to know. :p

Heal up man.. good thoughts and prayers sent your way.

All that metal displaced from little old me?

IMG_9583.jpg

That my friends is a true miracle to behold.

All I have in the way of injury in that area of my body is 2 little scabs in the tip of my fireman.
:blushsmiley:
[SIZE=14pt]God truly is great![/SIZE]

It makes me cringe whenever I look at that tank.
I'm not even on pain meds. though I took a couple of pills in the hospital.

The extent of my obvious injuries...

• my busted up left fore arm and wrist
  • my bummed up left knee
  • various other deep bruises and soft tissue damage about my extremities - several of which are still way swollen

As my friend Tyler so aptly put it, when you are suddenly deprived of the ability to take care of the most basic bodily needs, even as brief as I experienced, it sure nice to be able to wipe you're own butt.

Everybody, thanks for being there with your prayers, good thoughts and well wishes in my time of need.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I came accross this today (Sunday evening Aussie time) and have just read the whole thread. First, Brodie, I thank God in a deep and sincere way for your survival and comparatively minimal injuries. Wow - I'm lost for words. Please also pass our care and concern on to your wife - I am sure she would have been really thrown at teh news.

And to the forum as a whole - you guys and girls rock! The stories of people pulling together to help a buddy in need bring tears to my eyes. So many of you feel like friends, and I only know you through posts on this forum.

Last year, when we did 3 weeks touring in SW USA one thing I had with me in 3 different places was the FJR Assistance list. Wasn't ever needed, but you'll understand when I say it's the best insurance a man can get.

[SIZE=12pt]On a side note, let me put credit where credit truly belongs... [/SIZE]
I ride with my Co-Pilot whenever I swing a leg over a bike. He is the real reason I am here at all.
He took real good care of me at the point of impact, with the excellent first responders, the medical people who used their training and expertise to mend my broken body. My faith is in Jesus and He is looking out after me.

Many thanks to the members of this fantastic FJRForum, many of whom I never met. Thank you for keeping me in your prayers / thoughts. You are all a great group of people. :good:

Brodie

All that metal displaced from little old me?
IMG_9583.jpg

[*]my bummed up left knee

Brodie
It's a real probability that your knee did that damage. There's no way to be absolutely certain how your body rotated as you "launched" over the suddenly stopped FJR.

[SIZE=8pt]Your "co-pilot" has a reputation for doing some awesome and great work.[/SIZE]

As my friend Tyler so aptly put it, when you are suddenly deprived of the ability to take care of the most basic bodily needs, even as brief as I experienced, it sure nice to be able to wipe you're own butt.
When you break one wrist, you find out who youur friends are.

When you break two wrists, you find out who your TRUE friends are!

I agree w/ MM2 - probably the knee. Brodie, you didn't have the iPad camera working at the time? :unsure:

Ya know, there are easier ways to justify a new paint job. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're going to be ok Brodie!

I see a " Brodie" online reading this thread. I assume there is only one. That's good news! (that you are online)
Hang in there and please share what brand of helment you were wearing, when you are able.

Bellman

The brand of my premium helmet is actually secondary to the closeness of it's fit. I have a very "Long Oval" head and the best fitting helmet for my head shape just happens to be an ARAI Profile. When I go to the Cycleworld Motorcycle show every winter, I check in with Bruce Porter at the ARAI booth. He originally fit me in a Signet years ago. He maintains that most people buy helmets 1-2 sizes too big - too loose. Mine was a very snug fit but encompassed my full cranium. When I made that "pumpkin" sized hole in that windshield the EPS "coffee cup" foam liner had every chance to do it's job which is to slow my head in a more controlled manner. It doesn't feel like it if you were to run your hand inside my helmet, but that liner is spent. It did it's job well.

Just to drive the point home about proper fit, the opening of my helmet is very narrow. My Son could not put his head in it. I could tell when a haircut was due just by the fit. I tried a helmet liner but it gave me a headache. This same helmet, I have 2 of them, I take everywhere at all temperature extremes.

When all is said & done, it's ATGATT, ALL The Gear ALL The Time!!!

Don't skimp on it - ever.

Brodie

One of the most incredible testimonies I've ever seen or heard...Don't leave home without Him. Glad you're feeling better. Hope to talk to you in person in heaven someday... but not too soon.

Well, we left town on the 5th, and today's my first time back looking at everything I missed on the forum. In a way, I'm glad, because: 1) I saw it AFTER Brian changed the original thread title, and mostly: 2) I can see you're posting yourself now, Brodie, and apparently feeling a lot better. I hated to see this, and seeing your bike was freaking HORRIBLE. That road is a real dangerous place, as Painman mentioned; it's narrow and there's just nowhere to go. You're on the top of a levee, very steep drops on both sides, with a fast, deep river on one. My wife is from West Sacramento, farther up that road, and a lot of her old classmates have died on it in the years since then. Brodie, I'm SO damn glad you came through this. Looking forward to riding with you again soon.

And if there's any more local business that needs to be taken care of around here, add me to the list of the willing.

I just found out about your mishap.

Its a good thing you were wearing that cup.

Prayers and good thoughts your way.

I think you should buy lottery tickets this time of year.

Hope to see you again soon.

Brodie
my CMA friends and I mantra "don't ride alone, ride with the Son"

That my friends is a true miracle to behold.
All I have in the way of injury in that area of my body is 2 little scabs in the tip of my fireman.
:blushsmiley:
[SIZE=14pt]God truly is great![/SIZE]Everybody, thanks for being there with your prayers, good thoughts and well wishes in my time of need.

Brodie
needpics.gif

Hi Brodie,

Although we've never met, its always a bummer to hear/read about fellow forum-ers getting into accidents. And it was definitely a scare/shock seeing the pictures.

Hope you make a speedy recovery and are able to ride again, soon.

Btw, it will now be permanently registered in my mind who Brodie is - the amazing guy with the red and yellow fjr and the balls of steel!

Nik.