Brodie's ignition relay location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Hey,

KrZy8 is at a forum members house for serious maintenance. Bike is together again, but the wonderful human who has been applying TLC to KrZy8 reports the ignition switch sometimes does not..

Key moves, no power.

Wiggle, Waggle, comes on.

No switch dis assembly yet, but Electronic Cleaner and Lube have been injected.. I'm assuming no cure since he called me just moments ago.

KrZy8 has had the switch factory recalled / replaced and shortly thereafter the Brodie relay kit was installed.

I'd like to know the *typical* location of this install.. what panels need be removed to access it? I'm hoping for a dirty/loose poor connection to the relay.

..and yes, I'm old and have CRSS - I was there when Brodie installed it.. and have PM'd Sir Brodie too. Long of short if others have done the install and know and/or have pix, it surely would help.

Thanks in Advance

dcarver

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is under the TBar and foil where the connectors from the iginition switch are.

It just fits under the gas tank sir. Lift the tank, remove the T-Bar and remove the shield. As I remember you unplug the switch and plug the relay in then hook up a ground.

Make sure the Relay is Secured with a Zip Tie (by or under the T Bar) or something or a loose Relay will act intermittent.

O = Relay Connectors + = OEM Connectors

2ConnectedO003.jpg

3ConnectedO_2004.jpg

Ground Connection Screw

4GrndScrew006.jpg

NOTE to other GENI Owners: I did NOT have a Ignition Switch Failure but Installed this as preventative maintenance to take the load/Heat of the Switch.

I asked Brodie this question after install:

"Brodie,

One thing I noticed since I installed your Relay system, my Turn Signals flash a little faster. Does this indicate that power before going to the Ignition Switch is now being diverted to the other electrics?

-Brodie

I would say that the voltage drop through the small ignition switch contacts are now bypassed by the 70 amp relay in my harness. Less voltage drop = more power on tap for the bike's electronics. A quicker turn signal flashing would be a good indication of this."

Last edited by a moderator:
My relay appears to be bad. Anyone have the part number? :unsure: Like a dummie I left mine at the house today... was hoping to pick up a new one today - arrgh.

My relay appears to be bad. Anyone have the part number? :unsure: Like a dummie I left mine at the house today... was hoping to pick up a new one today - arrgh.
Since I built mine from information contained on this forum it must be here somewhere! The location where I work often won't let me load all the content (pictures) but I think it's in this thread somewhere...https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=111493&st=0&p=507640entry507640

I know there were pictures and parts lists I used but can't seem to find it now.