broken headlite lens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
A rock hit my headlite lens and cracked it. Went to dealer assuming i,d probably have to pay $50 for a new lens for right side of my 08. WRONG !!!!! I find that the lens is a one piece unit encompassing both sides lens and the "guts" inside it as well. "Discounted cost" was $400 OUCH !! Does anyone know if this one piece replacement unit includes 2 new bulbs inside the unit? If it does not include new bulbs I,m thinking of replacing the original bulbs as they,re now 3 years old Help please!

Wouldn't the best person to ask be the parts man who made you the original quote? Mama Yama can be a little weird on what is, and is not included in assemblies like that. I think only the parts guy will know for sure, and he may have to call someone to find out! :blink:

That's a pretty stiff price for a headlight assy, I'll grant you. :eek:

That's really pricey. I would doubt that bulbs would be included in that assembly.

I've been using these 3M protective film on my headlight lenses and they IMHO have saved me from stone chips and possibly cracks in the lens many times. These are really easy and fast to install, do not block any light output and look like they are not even there. You can also buy hard plastic lens covers but I've never liked those since dirt and stuff always gets in behind them so you have to keep pulling them off to clean the headlights, which is not that bigger of a PITA since they attach with velcro pads. But like I said the 3M film is a "set and forget job".

FJR Headlight Protection Shield

12519-2T.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See the fiche drawing, #1 is the headlight assembly, and it includes #2 (the bulbs), 3, and 4.

partimage.gif

There's a complete new 2007 & up headlight assembly on ebay UK for a buy it now price of £130 ($206.31) + shipping.

$400 for the Headlight Assembly and $296 for a Front Set of Brake Pads. :cray: :cry: :fie: :mega_shok: :shok: :shout:

If this Bike wasn't worth every penny of it, I'd Shit :shok:

If you carry comprehensive insurance on your bike the insurance company may help take the sting out of that $400 headlight.

BTW, you should make your claim at the $561 list price, regardless of what you can actually get it for. ;)

Generally, the deductible for comprehensive claims is lower than your collision deductible (mine is half), and the claim does not go against your record, so should not cause your rates to go up next term (unless you abuse the policy all the time)

A rock hit my headlite lens and cracked it. Went to dealer assuming i,d probably have to pay $50 for a new lens for right side of my 08. WRONG !!!!! I find that the lens is a one piece unit encompassing both sides lens and the "guts" inside it as well. "Discounted cost" was $400 OUCH !! Does anyone know if this one piece replacement unit includes 2 new bulbs inside the unit? If it does not include new bulbs I,m thinking of replacing the original bulbs as they,re now 3 years old Help please!
The same rock that hit your windshiled also hit my Cee Bailes headlight protectors. Cost me $42 to replace it. Sorry about your headlight lens. Get the Cee Bailes Headlight Protectors.

See the fiche drawing, #1 is the headlight assembly, and it includes #2 (the bulbs), 3, and 4.

There's a complete new 2007 & up headlight assembly on ebay UK for a buy it now price of £130 ($206.31) + shipping.
What is they say about "assume" :huh: , I stand corrected about the bulbs being included, thanks olsonm3915.

Jim, IMHO if you want to stay with the inferior Halogen bulbs you might consider something like the Philips X-treme Power bulbs which are rated at the same wattage but are much brighter, rather than putting in new crappy OEM bulbs.

X-treme Power

new_xtreme.jpg

* Up to 80% more light – the brightest halogen bulb available* DOT compliant – street legal

* Aggressive style and superior nighttime visibility

I have the entire assembly and I think it's in pretty much perfect condition, there might be swirls in the lenses but that could be polished out I'm sure. Other than that I don't think anything else is wrong and the bulbs are in it and both working high and low beam. If you want it let me know. It's just sitting in my garage. Just make me a reasonable offer.

I hope you can find a replacement unit maybe through a salvage place or something. I've been dragging my butt on getting headlight protectors. Is there a consensus on whether the 3M stick on is as good as the Cee Bailey covers?

doctorj

That's a nice deal for a new one. :) I guess it depends on the shipping cost.

Keep an eye on eBay. I snagged a salvage yard headlight unit for my son's baby ninja for less than 1/4 the cost of a new one. Looks and works fine.

Or try a site like https://www.mrcycleparts.com/ or https://www.necycle.com/. They both have an online form to fill out to request a part. They're tied in to networks for bike salvage yards so they can search several databases (though, jeez, I hope there aren't too many Gen II's in salvage).

My .02 on headlight protectors, which is worth every penny: I don't know. I honestly haven't heard of too many FJR lights getting cracked. On the other hand, the protector on my old Connie took a hit that would have for sure taken out the headlight. Since I made my money back on that one, I bought the Cee Bailey set for the FJR. And as I mentioned above, I just replaced the headlight in the ninjette, so it seems like cheap insurance to me. I'll confess, though, that I really don't like the look. Pick yer poison.

I hope you can find a replacement unit maybe through a salvage place or something. I've been dragging my butt on getting headlight protectors. Is there a consensus on whether the 3M stick on is as good as the Cee Bailey covers?

doctorj
IMHO, the CB think perspex protectors should be able to withstand a harder hit, but the 3M film is designed to protect you against most stone chips and the like by absorbing the impact shock. The other cool thing is that you don't need to worry so much about what you use to wipe the lenses (wet paper towels, a rag, windscreen squeegee, etc.) since the 3M film will not scratch as easily and is an easily replaceable item. As I mentioned before I like the 3M film because once on it really becomes part of the headlight lens and not a fugly add-on that often traps dirt and needs to be removed for cleaning the lenses. In nearly 4 years and 95k miles on my '07 I've only replaced the 3M film once and it probably didn't really need it (@ $29 for the set), so I'm pretty satisfied. I can see a number of small nicks/pits in the 3M film which could have easily done various kinds of damage to the "naked" lenses.

My .02 on headlight protectors, which is worth every penny: I don't know. I honestly haven't heard of too many FJR lights getting cracked.
+1 - I'll bet more headlights are lost each year due to to deer strikes than to stone chips.

Maybe we need something more like this on the front of our Feejers?:

TrainCattleGuard.jpg

That's a nice deal for a new one. :) I guess it depends on the shipping cost.

Keep an eye on eBay. I snagged a salvage yard headlight unit for my son's baby ninja for less than 1/4 the cost of a new one. Looks and works fine.

Or try a site like https://www.mrcycleparts.com/ or https://www.necycle.com/. They both have an online form to fill out to request a part. They're tied in to networks for bike salvage yards so they can search several databases (though, jeez, I hope there aren't too many Gen II's in salvage).

My .02 on headlight protectors, which is worth every penny: I don't know. I honestly haven't heard of too many FJR lights getting cracked. On the other hand, the protector on my old Connie took a hit that would have for sure taken out the headlight. Since I made my money back on that one, I bought the Cee Bailey set for the FJR. And as I mentioned above, I just replaced the headlight in the ninjette, so it seems like cheap insurance to me. I'll confess, though, that I really don't like the look. Pick yer poison.

I'm currently trying the salvage yard request through Mrcycleparts and so far I've had one call back, but the unit was broken. They are hard to find. Mine is cracked to hell and I hate to pay 400 bones for a new one.

I show the list price of $319.36. I bought one from Zanotti's for $246.79. The problem is that the unit was not packed correctly and came with broken tabs, TWICE. In the end, they refunded the money and I had to buy one locally, as they would not send me a third unit. I actually got a better price locally. Fixing broken bikes is a pain in the Butt!

I show the list price of $319.36. I bought one from Zanotti's for $246.79. The problem is that the unit was not packed correctly and came with broken tabs, TWICE. In the end, they refunded the money and I had to buy one locally, as they would not send me a third unit. I actually got a better price locally. Fixing broken bikes is a pain in the Butt!
Broken tabs are easy to fix with plastic welding. Plastic welding means melting the tabs back on with a soldering iron - perhaps with some new plastic from another source. It's easy and just as strong as new. BTDT.