Brrrrr it's "chilly" and the bike won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ER RN

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m pretty sure I know what the answer to my problem is but I wanted to run it past y’all. My search related to my problem resulted in 158 possible threads and only one came close to what is going on with my bike however the author never posted his “fix”.

The facts:

I ride a 2009 with 7k miles on it. At 1830 last night it was a balmy 52 degrees and when I started the bike I noted that it cranked a little slower than usual and that once started I smelled raw gas for a moment or so. Given it’s my only mode of transportation I went on to work. At 0710 this morning the temperature was a not quite so balmy 30 degrees when I was attempting to go home. I cranked the bike but alas it was a no start situation. On 2 different occasions I tried the WOT start up with no success. Finally I hitched a ride with a friend leaving the bike at work. I plan to do the cab thing after I catch a nap today and the bike has had a chance to bath in the afternoon sun and warm up.

My hypothesis:

Given that the battery connections are tight and clean and the charging system puts out 13.2 volts at idle I surmise that the battery is on its way south. This situation may be compounded by what I believe to be one or more injectors that are leaking once the bike has been shut down dumping fuel into the cylinder(s) thus the raw fuel smell.

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance and I’ll let you know what I find out. Harvey

Since you have so little mileage on your '09, I am guessing that it doesn't get used on a regular basis. If that is the case, then the battery is not fully charged, or , it could be going bad. The FJR is VERY sensitive to voltage in order to start. This was true on my '04 and on my current '08.

Raw fuel smell isn't really indicating anything other than rich mixture, and gas making its way all the way out the exhaust unburnt, which will happen if it doesn't fire while cranking.

13.2 is very very low if nothing extra is on the bike. Even at idle you ought to be getting high 13s or low 14s. If the battery is shot and sucking the stator dry you might see low volts like that, or if the stator output is kablooey you' could see low volts. But 13.2 is low.

All that said, cold ambient temps can make the bike very hard to start. These batteries are marginal at best, and 30-degree temps reduce the max output significantly. I had to jump my bike this morning, at 38 degrees, but it has only had multiple short (<5 miles) trips over the holidays, going to this house, or that house, or the store, whatever. Not much recovery/charge time going on, which is bad. My own fault.

My OEM battery started showing problems after 2 yrs, when it's cold it puts the battery to the test and will start showing signs of needing replacement

I experienced "Fast Starter Syndrome" for the first and only time about a week ago with the outside temp around 50 degrees. Bike had not been started in a few days. Had to put it on the charger to get it going, then took it for a couple of hours worth of Bliss (ride). Seems to be fine now.

What these guys say. Depending on how long your work commute is, I bet your not riding far enough at high enough revs to fully charge your battery.

That along with low miles means your battery's prolly taking a shit. When mine goes, I'm gonna replace it with an AGM battery...

I have the same issue and I believe my problem is the short mileage to and from work (only 7 miles each way on side streets). At the first sign of slow crank I plug in my battery tender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have so little mileage on your '09, I am guessing that it doesn't get used on a regular basis. If that is the case, then the battery is not fully charged, or , it could be going bad. The FJR is VERY sensitive to voltage in order to start. This was true on my '04 and on my current '08.
I was reading this topic it prompt me with the following: my bike an 01 Gen1 (UK model) 30k miles on it always run very well. Since I brought her to the US I have noticed this raw petrol smell that you are referring to when coming from a bike ride, leave her in the garage, dismount and remove helmet. There it is... Strong smell of raw, unburnt petrol I always though it was running too rich... Any ideas? Spark plugs Throttle body vacuum pressure too low (I live ~1000feet above see level), clogged injectors...

Luis

All good advice, make sure the battery is fully charged and you ride the bike far enough to recover from starting each time. Also, running heated gear for shorter distances and low revs, could lead to a less than fully charged battery. All batteries are different, but at only two years old, yours shouldn't be going bad yet.

What viscosity oil you running? Reason I ask, is the only time my [previous] '06 cranked slowly was in the mid 20's with a load of 15/50 in the crankcase. On all three of my FJR's starting has never been any problem down into the high 20's / low 30's with the OEM battery.

Good luck --

--G

Thanx for all the input. Some good points that I hadn’t considered such as oil viscosity and short commute to work < 3 miles. To be continued.........

Besides not charging the battery sufficiently, aren't there other issues for the engine or fuel system with very short commutes relating to not sufficiently warming up the engine?

Also, if the commute is too short...is the fix for the battery condition to leave it on a tender every day after getting home from work? (besides the obvious fix of riding the bejaysus out of it on some fun roads BEFORE getting home)

All good advice, make sure the battery is fully charged and you ride the bike far enough to recover from starting each time. Also, running heated gear for shorter distances and low revs, could lead to a less than fully charged battery. All batteries are different, but at only two years old, yours shouldn't be going bad yet.

What viscosity oil you running? Reason I ask, is the only time my [previous] '06 cranked slowly was in the mid 20's with a load of 15/50 in the crankcase. On all three of my FJR's starting has never been any problem down into the high 20's / low 30's with the OEM battery.

Good luck --

--G
I used to have the same trouble with my '05, which left me stranded once and thankfully started another while rolling down the incline of a parking garage in the cold. Both times were sub-30 degree starts where the bike had a long cold-soak time. I've started running lighter weight oil in the winter time and purchased a better battery that offers more CCA. No problems this winter.

worldbound4now

Thanx again for all the input :glare: Turns out the battery was marginal even after only 2 years. Swapped it out, added a tender (JIC) and changed the oil from 20W50 to 10W40 and vroom. Turns out my voltmeter on the bike was bad as well. Charge rate is 13.8- 14.0 volts. Still have a short commute but short of changing jobs that ain't gonna change unless...... :blink:

Off topic I found a zumo forum for all those gps problems I've heard about. it can be found at : https://www.zumoforums.com/

Thanx again ~Harvey

Thanx again for all the input :glare: Turns out the battery was marginal even after only 2 years. Swapped it out, added a tender (JIC) and changed the oil from 20W50 to 10W40 and vroom. Turns out my voltmeter on the bike was bad as well. Charge rate is 13.8- 14.0 volts. Still have a short commute but short of changing jobs that ain't gonna change unless...... :blink:
Glad you were able to get the problems sorted out!

Regarding the commute, think outta of the box! Work is only 22 min. door to door for me...sometimes though, it takes me 1-1/2 hours to get home! :)

--G

Glad you were able to get the problems sorted out!

Regarding the commute, think outta of the box! Work is only 22 min. door to door for me...sometimes though, it takes me 1-1/2 hours to get home! :)

--G

Yeah sometimes I think my box has been child proofed :blink: