BRUTAL! Farkling the 2006 model....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warchild? was there only room for one Ballast in the glove box? I chopped the bejeezus out of the glove box on my '05 and bolted two ballasts to the bits that were left...
On this '06 FJR-A I am working on, there is enough room for one ballast and one ignitor if you elect NOT to butcher up the glove box.

<snip>
Figured I should add some detail to what I did...

I scored a Catz Hi-Low HID kit off of eBay a while back, and after I got rid of my Vampire Job that was trying to kill me for the last two years (mid May), I finally had a chance to Farkle the bike. (those who know me locally know I rode w/o a dash panel installed for over a year, cause I just couldn't get back to it)

Any how....

A rough view of how I chopped the Glove box up,

(If I ever want to replace it -> 5VS-2830N-00-00 BOX SUB ASSY $51.57 [univ Motors])

SmallBallast.jpg
BigBallast.jpg

What you see in the top of this photo is a Hi-Lo control box, which does require a fair amount of space, one of the reasons I decided to chop up the glove box.

TopBallast.jpg
BottomBallast.jpg

Side Views, the piece of angled Aluminum added Rigidity, I also used some of the fancy 3M double stick tape.

OutsideBallast.jpg
InsideBallast.jpg

What it looks like in the housing,

(this is one of those kits that moves the light forward/backward to do Hi/Lo.

HID.jpg

-bvw.

I picked my bike up this afternoon and it looks great. Haven't had it out at night yet to check out the new PHID's, but I'm sure it's gonna be awesome. I can't thank Dale enought for taking time away from his family on a holiday weekend to help me out with the installation so that I'll have my lights for the NWPassage rally next week. Plus, he serviced my forks and installed the superbrace I won as a doorprize at WFO-5. Plus, Plus...he and his wife treated us to dinner at their house. :yahoo:

Thanks Dale, you're the greatest!

Warchild? was there only room for one Ballast in the glove box? I chopped the bejeezus out of the glove box on my '05 and bolted two ballasts to the bits that were left...
On this '06 FJR-A I am working on, there is enough room for one ballast and one ignitor if you elect NOT to butcher up the glove box.

<snip>
Figured I should add some detail to what I did...

I scored a Catz Hi-Low HID kit off of eBay a while back, and after I got rid of my Vampire Job that was trying to kill me for the last two years (mid May), I finally had a chance to Farkle the bike. (those who know me locally know I rode w/o a dash panel installed for over a year, cause I just couldn't get back to it)

Any how....

A rough view of how I chopped the Glove box up,

(If I ever want to replace it -> 5VS-2830N-00-00 BOX SUB ASSY $51.57 [univ Motors])

SmallBallast.jpg
BigBallast.jpg

What you see in the top of this photo is a Hi-Lo control box, which does require a fair amount of space, one of the reasons I decided to chop up the glove box.

TopBallast.jpg
BottomBallast.jpg

Side Views, the piece of angled Aluminum added Rigidity, I also used some of the fancy 3M double stick tape.

OutsideBallast.jpg
InsideBallast.jpg

What it looks like in the housing,

(this is one of those kits that moves the light forward/backward to do Hi/Lo.

HID.jpg

-bvw.
I've been wondering about those bulbs that move in and out. Early reports said they may not be reliable. How has it been working? Also, and more importantly, how's the light output?

-BD

I've used the Bi-Xenon H4 kits (single HID capsule that moves from low beam to high beam via a servo) with great success. I had one in my KLR650 and then moved it to my Triumph Bonneville. It worked like a champ and the switch from low beam to high was faster than with a dual filament halogen bulb!

If I do HIDs in my FJR, it will be with those.

I've been wondering about those bulbs that move in and out. Early reports said they may not be reliable. How has it been working? Also, and more importantly, how's the light output?
-BD
Reliabilty was one of the reasons I want with the "Catz" Brand, everything I read at the time regarded them as being the sh!t in HID lighting... (they are no longer manufactured) So far no problems here.

Light output is great, almost to much light, I've actually got them cranked a little low right now because of that.

-bvw.

I occurs to me I never posted the final installation photos, so I'll do that now.....

Here is the dash central vent after all panels were re-installed.... you can't even tell that the vent grill had to have a slot cut into it to allow the ballast cables to emerge outward. This close-up photo may not show it, but once neatly zip-tied out of the way, these two cables look pretty unobtrusive in the flesh:

vent_cable_emerge_FINAL.jpg

Below is the lamp from the rear, showing the new-style high-tension cable leads that are being used now by the manufacturer. This is also the first time many of you are seeing the new 2006 Top Gun Aux Light Brackets from FJRGoodies.com. These brackets are powder-coated a satin-black, and unlike previous generation Top Gun brackets, these are made from steel. Unfortunately, there was a fitment issue with this first batch of brackets that went out, so they needed to be tweaked a little before they went on. However, once installed, the resulting strength of this bracket is enormous, even more rigid than the previous generation brackets:

finalInstal.jpg

Finally, the view from the front.... pleanty of clearance for the lamp housing under the mirror stalk:

finalInstall_2.jpg

WC - Sorry if you mentioned this already but does blocking that vent have any negative impact on either the heat fix or the back pressure fix for '06?

Any thoughts to taking a rattle can to that baby blue housing on the back of the lights? Much less obtrusive if it was a flat black...

Nice install, by the way... :thumbsup:

So, to wrap this thread up... here's my recommendations for ballast placement for the 2006 FJR:

- If you're only installing a pair of ballasts, I recommend one ballast be located outboard and slightly aft of the battery case, as shown here:

100_0148.jpg

For a non-destructive placement of the second ballast, I recommend remove the almost worthless cigarette lighter and use the interior of the glove box to house the components (using the opening created by removing the cig lighter to allow passthough of cables).

If you insist on retaining the full use of your glove box, then the dash vent ducting is an excellent option. Note, however, a small slot needs to be dremeled into the vent grill, but as seen above, this cut slot is not visable once the other dash pieces are re-installed.

- Now, if you are dealing with having to install 4 HID setups, then placing all 4 ballasts in the nose can be quite the challenge, as this thread has shown. But the resulting 4 placements I used in this farkle exercise are doing the job (so far): 1) outside the battery case, 2) the central dash vent ducting, 3) inside the glove box, 4) just forward of (but emerging into) the glove box.
I wish I had more time with the bike to try to find a 4th placement that was non-destructive, but since she has essentially sacrificed her glove box anyway, it was no big deal to dremel it out so it would allow a portion of the 4th ballast to reside inside the glove box also. Perhaps somebody will find an additional ballast placement opportunity in the nose area of the '06 model FJR when they go about installing their HID kits.....

Last edited by a moderator:
WC - Sorry if you mentioned this already but does blocking that vent have any negative impact on either the heat fix or the back pressure fix for '06?
Surprisingly, no, there hasn't been any negative impact. Truth be told, I'm not terribly convinced the dash vents are doing a whole lot with regard to back pressure or heat.... in any event, I couldn't tell any difference riding the bike afterward.....
shrug.gif

Too, a small amount - maybe 20% - of the air ducting is still clear to allow some amount of pass-though of air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comprehensive write up and pics WC!

:clapping:

I've been very afraid to attempt this on my 06. For now, the Hella ffs are doing the job.

But now that I've seen the light output of the HIDs ... well, let's just say your work here has saved me a bunch of time.

NOW - if you can design and install a FFRD (Feejer Fastener Retrieval Device) I'll be able to find all those quick fasteners, knobs, screws, and TB rubbers I've dropped down the FJRs blouse. The "other" FJR ass-pain.

Is there a reason not to put a pair of ballasts on the fairing "shelf" directly below the headlight housings? Weight? Stress? Weather?