BT021 Front Tire Ridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowrider

Reaction score
At 3600 miles on the original BT-021's I noted a ridge developed along center of the tread, front tire only. I have put a few hundred miles on since, when its not storming, and the bike handles OK, but have noticed little front end vibration. Back tire looks great, even wear, lots of useable tread, etc. So for the front - replace ASAP or ride on awhile? Recommendations on replacements? I tend to ride at a moderate pace and at times in the rain.

I did search previous posts and saw pics of similar wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a ridge, it so happens that you've worn the soft tread from the sides and it's now shaped like a "V". The same issue everyone else who rides faster or more aggressive than "touring mode".

Here's a link to give you some more reading material concerning the issue, using our friends at Google:BT 021 site:fjrforum.com

I changed mine because once I started my "tip in" for a corner the bike would "fall in", then need to be steered out of the corner. After a couple of insecure moments in cornering, the tire was replaced and the bike "felt" normal.

If ya did in fact search.. You'da found the BT's suck moist ass cheeze...

pm me for advice on how to survive this place, as It appears yer gonna need it.....

:jester:

It's not a ridge, it so happens that you've worn the soft tread from the sides and it's now shaped like a "V". The same issue everyone else who rides faster or more aggressive than "touring mode".
Here's a link to give you some more reading material concerning the issue, using our friends at Google:BT 021 site:fjrforum.com

I changed mine because once I started my "tip in" for a corner the bike would "fall in", then need to be steered out of the corner. After a couple of insecure moments in cornering, the tire was replaced and the bike "felt" normal.
Just took a second look at the tire and focused on the tread, not much remaining! Guess looking at the "ridge" had me like a deer in the headlights. Time to purchase a new front tire, but not another 021 for sure. Thanks for the help.

My front 021 did the same thing, replaced it with a mich PR2 and left 021 on the rear. Works great

BG

Well Nut is right, that tire does suck moist cheese. In fact my front BT-21 looks like moist cheese running down the middle, all wavey and such. And handles like MM2 mentioned.

My next set of skins will be the Michlin PR-2's probablly replacing the front first as bg mentioned above as the rear BT-21 is still looking good. Came to this conclusion after hearing Jeff Ashe's report and I also talked to Ray aka., Silent at the Jan. 3rd ride and he had run a set of the PR-2's to NAFO and back and they still looked great with "no" ugly wear pattern on the front what so ever. PM. <>< ;)

pm me for advice on how to survive this place, as It appears yer gonna need it.....
:eek:

I thought you were "tolerated" because you and your cousin Ray give this place...er...uhm...character. Yeah, that's it....character. ;)
Dood,.. If'n ya weren't so old (and far away) I'd wander over an boot yer ass.. Deliverance style ;)

Odot's a fine son/nephew!

Yeah! yer insultin family ya is.. The kid ain't got no blame on account he be my my son by my sister. So,...what of it ya sheep fuker...

:p

:eek:

I thought you were "tolerated" because you and your cousin Ray give this place...er...uhm...character. Yeah, that's it....character. ;)
Dood,.. If'n ya weren't so old (and far away) I'd wander over an boot yer ass.. Deliverance style ;)

Odot's a fine son/nephew!

Yeah! yer insultin family ya is.. The kid ain't got no blame on account he be my my son by my sister. So,...what of it ya sheep fuker...

:p

:rofl:

Hugs and kisses.....