Built myself some winter/rain Carbon Fiber foot protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
Wanted some of the Yamaha ones but they are pretty expensive and not that easy to get... I didn't put much effort in finding or buying any......

Anyhow, I want to see if I could build my own molds and my own carbon fiber parts.. I've never done it, just wanted to see if I could and how it might work out. So here are my first parts. I'm going to install them over the next few days. The parts you see here in the pictures are 98% done but not 100%.. As far as the install goes there are the leading edges that have about 1/2" 'match up" to the fairing that im going to use heavy duty double sided sticky tape too... Should be more than enough to hold them on.. Also I DON'T put holes or bolts in the fairing and I can take these off in the summer if I want.. In the next few days I will post a few more up with them on the bike. Just wanted to share my first CF project... Thanks

Carbonparts12.jpg

Carbonparts13.jpg

Carbonparts2.jpg

Carbonparts7.jpg

Carbonparts8.jpg

Now I have a list of parts im going to make....................... LOL

Nice work! I'm betting you could sell a bunch of 'em. :)
:jester:

Thanks man!!

I thought about that but didn't want to bring any of that up....... I forgot, Isn't this one of those forums you can talk about selling crap unless you OK it with the "boss" or something like that? Or you pay someone off to sell your stuff? I take part in to many forums and forgot about the rules of this one.....................

Thanks man!!

I thought about that but didn't want to bring any of that up....... I forgot, Isn't this one of those forums you can talk about selling crap unless you OK it with the "boss" or something like that? Or you pay someone off to sell your stuff? I take part in to many forums and forgot about the rules of this one.....................

Well I dunno.. You didn't come out offerin' to sell 'em and you've been around a spell.. Seems like the powers that be wouldn't mind.

I've actually posted up things I make and haven't had a problem. Just don't come across like a shill and you should be fine. ;)

If any of those ladys :clown2: give you any shit just lemme know.. I have photoshop and ain't afraid to use it. :bb2:

Very nice ! Do you do this @ your work or did you pick up the materials & teach yourself how to do it ? Molding aside the process is sort of like laying up fiberglass ,isn't it ? Sliick2

I believe your Idea with using the sticky two sided tape is a failure before you start.

There are better ways than that, I know if gives a clean look but.... Not tryning to rain on your parade want to see a good product out there with out failures and problems , like one comming off at 80mps going through a windshield than there is and OOOOHH Sh#######@@@@T moment

I believe your Idea with using the sticky two sided tape is a failure before you start.
There are better ways than that, I know if gives a clean look but.... Not tryning to rain on your parade want to see a good product out there with out failures and problems , like one comming off at 80mps going through a windshield than there is and OOOOHH Sh#######@@@@T moment

Good point....with that said, The prototype looks quite awesome. End-sight-unseen, I would suggest a clip mounted to the foot protector and then of course clips to the bike. The clip would need perhaps rigid teeth on the underside as not to scratch the painted fairing side. But being mounted to the foot protector should give it sturdiness to withstand wind forces.

Quick thought....

I think those things look very professional--nice job. I was thinking about your attachment plans too, and thought about using 3M "Dual Lock" for your connection to the bike. It's a bit like Velcro but MUCH stronger. Instead of having that fuzzy "hook and loop" material, both sides have tiny little mushroom-shaped protrusions that snap together with a firm push. Very strong hold--nothing would be blowing off in the wind. This stuff isn't for something that you'll be taking off and on much, but they say you can use it--off and on--a dozen or so times before it loses its strength and holding power. The back side is peel-off adhesive that's very strong and weather resistant.

I'd consider a set of these too, btw, if they turned up for sale. Price-dependent, of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Thats what I just said in the first post........... LOL "

So you are sayin we are sposed to actually read posts :dribble: ? I only look at pictures (only read articles in Playboy when a teenager and never looked at pictures then :rolleyes: ). Well OK, if I must wait for pics, I'll be patient. Could you line them with some sheepskins? Bustanut could hook you up for that little farkle :clapping: .

doctorj

Thanks man!!

Well I dunno.. You didn't come out offerin' to sell 'em and you've been around a spell.. Seems like the powers that be wouldn't mind.

I've actually posted up things I make and haven't had a problem. Just don't come across like a shill and you should be fine. ;)

If any of those ladys :clown2: give you any shit just lemme know.. I have photoshop and ain't afraid to use it. :bb2:

Cool, are you a forum 'boss'? I would sell some fiber glass ones... anyone can PM me.... Thanks!

Very nice ! Do you do this @ your work or did you pick up the materials & teach yourself how to do it ? Molding aside the process is sort of like laying up fiberglass ,isn't it ? Sliick2
Both... I did teach myself and I did it at my work... We custom fab car / motorcycle / Etc up everyday.... We can design, build, fab, Etc.. anything.....

There are several ways and you can lay this up in a mold with carbon and then just go though the process.... :) It was fun and interesting...

Hehehehheheeeeee................. no joke.. that would suck.... good thing is did all the proper testing before I spent this much time building them...... 99% it will be fine..... BUT, if you see a carbon wing run over it and then call me a dumb ass!!!!!! LOL

I think those things look very professional--nice job. I was thinking about your attachment plans too, and thought about using 3M "Dual Lock" for your connection to the bike. It's a bit like Velcro but MUCH stronger. Instead of having that fuzzy "hook and loop" material, both sides have tiny little mushroom-shaped protrusions that snap together with a firm push. Very strong hold--nothing would be blowing off in the wind. This stuff isn't for something that you'll be taking off and on much, but they say you can use it--off and on--a dozen or so times before it loses its strength and holding power. The back side is peel-off adhesive that's very strong and weather resistant.
I'd consider a set of these too, btw, if they turned up for sale. Price-dependent, of course. :rolleyes:
Yea, im using the 'pro' 3M stuff that is just about like glue... once its on, its on.... Considering my sticky surface area not only are these not coming off going down the road but if I want to take them off in the summer its going to be a six beer night getting the covers and sticky off......

If anyone one had 'something like these' they could very easy drill some small holes and add any type of small securing device to 'hold' them on too...... no problem... If you want some just PM me.... Thanks :)

"Thats what I just said in the first post........... LOL "
So you are sayin we are sposed to actually read posts :dribble: ? I only look at pictures (only read articles in Playboy when a teenager and never looked at pictures then :rolleyes: ). Well OK, if I must wait for pics, I'll be patient. Could you line them with some sheepskins? Bustanut could hook you up for that little farkle :clapping: .

doctorj

BbBbbbbwwwwwwhhhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa................. LOL I use brail when reading Play Boy... LOL

You want sheep skin inside the pockets ? What, ya gunna kick off your boot and stick them in the little fur covered pockets..... That's a WHOLE NEW GoldWing level........... LOL hell, add some electric wormers to them too....... LOL :) :)