Built myself some winter/rain Carbon Fiber foot protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Sir are on your way to a major shitstorm of request's for products that, from your first prototype shows your high degree of talent in this area. DO NOT be overwhelmed, Slow steps in R&D will allow you to produce your products in a

timely fashion for all of us on thr FJR forum who whish your fine products.... Just one thing..... ME FIRST !! VERY nice work Good luck!!

"Thats what I just said in the first post........... LOL "
So you are sayin we are sposed to actually read posts :dribble: ? I only look at pictures (only read articles in Playboy when a teenager and never looked at pictures then :rolleyes: ). Well OK, if I must wait for pics, I'll be patient. Could you line them with some sheepskins? Bustanut could hook you up for that little farkle :clapping: .

doctorj

Doc, I think yours should be lined with foreskins..

:jester:

Cool, are you a forum 'boss'? I would sell some fiber glass ones... anyone can PM me.... Thanks!
Boss?? Nah not really. More like the head Jackass.

That might hijak this tread, but in all likelihood that response is gonna start a shitstorm..

I think those things look very professional--nice job. I was thinking about your attachment plans too, and thought about using 3M "Dual Lock" for your connection to the bike. It's a bit like Velcro but MUCH stronger. Instead of having that fuzzy "hook and loop" material, both sides have tiny little mushroom-shaped protrusions that snap together with a firm push. Very strong hold--nothing would be blowing off in the wind. This stuff isn't for something that you'll be taking off and on much, but they say you can use it--off and on--a dozen or so times before it loses its strength and holding power. The back side is peel-off adhesive that's very strong and weather resistant.
I'd consider a set of these too, btw, if they turned up for sale. Price-dependent, of course. :rolleyes:
+1 on the Dual Lok. It's been holding my Laminar Lip onto my windshield at speeds up to 135.

You Sir are on your way to a major shitstorm of request's for products that, from your first prototype shows your high degree of talent in this area. DO NOT be overwhelmed, Slow steps in R&D will allow you to produce your products in atimely fashion for all of us on thr FJR forum who whish your fine products.... Just one thing..... ME FIRST !! VERY nice work Good luck!!

Thanks man!! Fore sure,, we are a pro fab shop so we build alot of different things for sure..... If you need some just PM me or something.... Thanks again !

Cool, are you a forum 'boss'? I would sell some fiber glass ones... anyone can PM me.... Thanks!

That might hijak this tread, but in all likelihood that response is gonna start a shitstorm..

Well cool then..... I have the molds and Ill make some fiber glass ones up for people.... The carbon ones take alot of time but if someone wants those I guess I can..... If anyone has questions just let me know..... Ill post pictures of them on the bike in the next few days..... :) Thanks

Well cool then..... I have the molds and Ill make some fiber glass ones up for people.... The carbon ones take alot of time but if someone wants those I guess I can..... If anyone has questions just let me know..... Ill post pictures of them on the bike in the next few days..... :) Thanks
I'm interested in the carbon fiber ones, they look great can't wait to see them on bike. Start thinking about a price for them.

Are the carbon fiber ones 'straight' carbon fiber? If so, I've been told you could save time by making them out of fiberglass, but using carbon fiber fabric for the exposed layer. If you want to be real fancy, you can use carbon fiber for both the outside layers (first and last) so that it looks good from both sides, but for something like this I would think simply painting the 'inner' side of the panel black, and having the 'street' side carbon fiber would work great. The fiberglass core will be more than strong enough for the application, and you'd need scale with lots of decimal places to be able to tell the difference in weight...

Cool, are you a forum 'boss'?

Holy Lord Lightning Limping Jeez.

This place is nutty enough without that Loonie tunes running the show..... :crazy: :crazy:

Nice Work BTW...

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm interested in the carbon fiber ones, they look great can't wait to see them on bike. Start thinking about a price for them.

PM sent

I am ready for a set too. Holler when you are ready to go! Good work!
O heck, your out by me... Im by TMS.... Just PM me or call the shop 817-831-9700 Thanks

Cool, are you a forum 'boss'?

Holy Lord Lightning Limping Jeez.

This place is nutty enough without that Loonie tunes running the show..... :crazy: :crazy:

Nice Work BTW...

Thanks Mang !!!

The CF panels look very nice, Jaxon. Great work, especially for a 1st attempt.

I know that those are going to look great installed. But also knowing the costs normally associated with CF, and being a Yankee tight wad at heart, I fall into the group most interested in the plain (paint-able to match) fiberglass.

Also, I think the kind of double sided sticky that you are talking about is probably the 3M acrylic foam tape that is made for attaching automotive exterior trim, etc. That stuff is very strong and would probably work well in this application. I stuck a Fenda Extanda on my old Concours 1000 and it held that on just fine. But it will not be easily removable if you use that tape.

Waiting for bike pic's.

O' NO...... they might look like poop..... LOL

Hope to have them on next few days.... Dealing with work, new years crap, ya know all the fun stuff......... LOL

The CF panels look very nice, Jaxon. Great work, especially for a 1st attempt.
I know that those are going to look great installed. But also knowing the costs normally associated with CF, and being a Yankee tight wad at heart, I fall into the group most interested in the plain (paint-able to match) fiberglass.

Also, I think the kind of double sided sticky that you are talking about is probably the 3M acrylic foam tape that is made for attaching automotive exterior trim, etc. That stuff is very strong and would probably work well in this application. I stuck a Fenda Extanda on my old Concours 1000 and it held that on just fine. But it will not be easily removable if you use that tape.
Thanks... Yea, I want to do the fiber ones.. will look great with a little body and paint... The carbon ones are cool but alot more time / money / set up.... Yea, there is tons of support and 'sticky' to hold these on no problem ! Thanks again

"Thats what I just said in the first post........... LOL "
So you are sayin we are sposed to actually read posts :dribble: ? I only look at pictures (only read articles in Playboy when a teenager and never looked at pictures then :rolleyes: ). Well OK, if I must wait for pics, I'll be patient. Could you line them with some sheepskins? Bustanut could hook you up for that little farkle :clapping: .

doctorj

Doc, I think yours should be lined with foreskins..

Foreskins, hmmm not a bad idea. But ya gotta be careful with those little buggers. I made a small carry on bag out of foreskins once, but if someone rubbed it too much, it turned into a 3 suiter, and too big to carry on. :yahoo:

doctorj