Built myself some winter/rain Carbon Fiber foot protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The look great, but I also share the concerns about mounting.

I have the OEM foot rests on my Gen-II and there is a LOT of force acting on them because they are in the slipstream AND they have to deal with LOTS of water when riding in the rain, not to mention stones and stuff.

The OEM guards have a rather neat mounting system that you'll never duplicate, but suffice it to say that they aren't going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The look great, but I also share the concerns about mounting.
I have the OEM foot rests on my Gen-II and there is a LOT of force acting on them because they are in the slipstream AND they have to deal with LOTS of water when riding in the rain, not to mention stones and stuff.

The OEM guards have a rather neat mounting system that you'll never duplicate, but suffice it to say that they aren't going anywhere.
Yea, you might be right....

The OEM ones you have to drill holes in the fairing.. Don't dig that... Also where here in Texas and in June - August we ride when its 105* and you need that air blowing up your leg and around your pants so you dont burn up.. In the summer when I take them off I dont want my fairings to have all kinda holes drilled in them......

Ive done the home work and they will stay on no problem. :) But like I said in a post before, if you see something on the High way that looks like a carbon wing, you can run over it and call me a dumb ass...... BBbbbwwwwwaaaahhhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL

And also what I have said in another post is that it would be VERY easy to add clips, screwed, tap different mechanical devices to suit anyone's "comfort" level of attachment... very easy... As long as you want holes.... but why? :) Ill have some pictures posted in the next few days....

The OEM ones you have to drill holes in the fairing.. Don't dig that... Also where here in Texas and in June - August we ride when its 105* and you need that air blowing up your leg and around your pants so you dont burn up.. In the summer when I take them off I dont want my fairings to have all kinda holes drilled in them...... Ive done the home work and they will stay on no problem. :) But like I said in a post before, if you see something on the High way that looks like a carbon wing, you can run over it and call me a dumb ass...... BBbbbwwwwwaaaahhhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL

And also what I have said in another post is that it would be VERY easy to add clips, screwed, tap different mechanical devices to suit anyone's "comfort" level of attachment... very easy... As long as you want holes.... but why? :) Ill have some pictures posted in the next few days....
No drilling for the OEM guards for the Gen-II - they have a really neat mounting system that uses rubber compression fittings in metal caps that attach to the inside of the lower cowlings on each side.

The ony way they can come off is to fall 'inward'. And even then, they'd be wedged in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
No drilling for the OEM guards for the Gen-II - they have a really neat mounting system that uses rubber compression fittings in metal caps that attach to the inside of the lower cowlings on each side.
The ony way they can come off is to fall 'inward'. And even then, they'd be wedged in place.
Bram, any chance we could get some closeup pics of these "clamps"? I'll bet one of our mechanical engineer friends could fab up something similar. They might be expensive to make but so is replacement tupperware because you drilled holes in it. ;)

The OEM ones you have to drill holes in the fairing.. Don't dig that... Also where here in Texas and in June - August we ride when its 105* and you need that air blowing up your leg and around your pants so you dont burn up.. In the summer when I take them off I dont want my fairings to have all kinda holes drilled in them...... Ive done the home work and they will stay on no problem. :) But like I said in a post before, if you see something on the High way that looks like a carbon wing, you can run over it and call me a dumb ass...... BBbbbwwwwwaaaahhhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL

O' cool... Ive seen a VID and some instructions that you had to drill and insert the expander 'bushing'...

Bram, any chance we could get some closeup pics of these "clamps"? I'll bet one of our mechanical engineer friends could fab up something similar. They might be expensive to make but so is replacement tupperware because you drilled holes in it. ;)

good idea.... we could come up with some slick 'clamps' and machine them all up and people would freak out and this it was the coolest... but it would be too expensive for just a few sets...

WOW !!! I WANT !!! :shok:

PM me, Ill sell some...

O' cool... Ive seen a VID and some instructions that you had to drill and insert the expander 'bushing'...
They're called "Well Nuts". That's how my Gen I foot guards attach.
As opposed to Howie, who will soon be called "No Nuts" because of the darkside curse..

[SIZE=8pt]Damnit! I gotta stop this hijak shit[/SIZE]

:jester:

They're called "Well Nuts". That's how my Gen I foot guards attach.
As opposed to Howie, who will soon be called "No Nuts" because of the darkside curse..

[SIZE=8pt]Damnit! I gotta stop this hijak shit[/SIZE]

:jester:
BbbBbbbwwwwwwwwhhhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)
Please don't encourage him and he may stop. Remain calm!

Wanted some of the Yamaha ones but they are pretty expensive and not that easy to get... I didn't put much effort in finding or buying any......
Anyhow, I want to see if I could build my own molds and my own carbon fiber parts.. I've never done it, just wanted to see if I could and how it might work out. So here are my first parts. I'm going to install them over the next few days. The parts you see here in the pictures are 98% done but not 100%.. As far as the install goes there are the leading edges that have about 1/2" 'match up" to the fairing that im going to use heavy duty double sided sticky tape too... Should be more than enough to hold them on.. Also I DON'T put holes or bolts in the fairing and I can take these off in the summer if I want.. In the next few days I will post a few more up with them on the bike. Just wanted to share my first CF project... Thanks
Really looking forward to seeing them mounted. <Waiting patiently...fingers drumming...>

Wanted some of the Yamaha ones but they are pretty expensive and not that easy to get... I didn't put much effort in finding or buying any......
Anyhow, I want to see if I could build my own molds and my own carbon fiber parts.. I've never done it, just wanted to see if I could and how it might work out. So here are my first parts. I'm going to install them over the next few days. The parts you see here in the pictures are 98% done but not 100%.. As far as the install goes there are the leading edges that have about 1/2" 'match up" to the fairing that im going to use heavy duty double sided sticky tape too... Should be more than enough to hold them on.. Also I DON'T put holes or bolts in the fairing and I can take these off in the summer if I want.. In the next few days I will post a few more up with them on the bike. Just wanted to share my first CF project... Thanks
Really looking forward to seeing them mounted. <Waiting patiently...fingers drumming...>
Made a new post installed.... there up..... :) Work AWESOME !