Burgman 400 to FJR 1300AE …. Leap of Faith??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your intelligent, well, maybe not, helpful, not even that. What about off-topic, thread hijacking responses? :lol: Sorry, noobies don’t get the NO serious, posing as intelligent, posts on Friday PM.
Seriously, I have taken the Experienced Motorcyclist Course on the Burgman and would spend many hours practicing, practicing, and practicing when I get the FJR. The weight issue will be my biggest concern as I have to back the Burgman into my garage and my commute has many stop signs and traffic lights. Any of you who know Atlanta’s traffic know you do not want to drive on the interstate here at rush, and I do mean “RUSH” hour. Doing 85MPH will get you rear-ended..

You guys are a lot sillier and less judgmental than the Burgman Forum. Oh sh*t, I forgot, it’s always Friday in some people's minds.
Yeah I did get a little stupid, sorry. As far as weight, as has been stated several times, take it easy for awhile and get to know your bike. The FJR is heavy but nothing you can't handle after acclimating yourself to the characteristics of the bike.

Yeah I did get a little stupid, sorry. As far as weight, as has been stated several times, take it easy for awhile and get to know your bike. The FJR is heavy but nothing you can't handle after acclimating yourself to the characteristics of the bike.
Oh, noooo! A future FJR owner (& noob) who can take a joke, read between the lines.....and think? :eek: Watch this guy, he might be dangerous! :eek:

Rickster still has his AE for sale in Troy, Al, (I think) - great shape, prob about 2.5 hours from you depending on ATL local

You could PM him if you would be interested

Does the number 24 have a significance?
No but 42 does

Rickster still has his AE for sale in Troy, Al, (I think) - great shape, prob about 2.5 hours from you depending on ATL localYou could PM him if you would be interested

Does the number 24 have a significance?
No but 42 does
I'd be curious to know how many know it's what you get when you multiply 6 x 9 without looking at the Wiki entry.

i dont know....i just got back from a 1500 mile 3 day trip through the blue ridge parkway and skyline drive with a guy who did it on a bergmann 650. Bike didnt flinch the whole way.

Take a good look at why your moving. Those burgmanns have quite a following for a reason.

GreyGoose

I ride with a good friend who owns nearly the same scooter that you have, a 400cc Yamaha. Whenever I give him the opportunity he jumps on my FJR and loves it! I've ridden his scooter and I've owned two FJR's ('05 and '07). Since I have a little experience with both types of machines, here's my 2 cents;

1. Power - Most 400cc scooters can hold their own in traffic just fine, but don't have an abundance of torque. On the other hand FJR has truck-like torque, a very wide-power band (the 5-speed trany is plenty adaquate), and the power comes on very smoothly. Pinning the throttle on your scoot compared to a FJR? A night and day difference! But at the same time, the FJR's power is not explosive or unpredictable... It's very controllable. Under hard acceleration there's not too many bikes you won't be able to pass, keep up with, or at least be very close behind. Bottom line; the FJR has more than enough power for most any typical street/highway condition.

2. Vibration - Your 2 cylinder scoot has a tendency to vibrate a bit as you take off. Not so on the FJR. It's very smooth.

3. Center of Gravity - You'll find your scoot's center of gravity is lower than the FJR (my friend on his scoot can keep up with me on my FJR in the twisties just fine). The FJR carries its weight a little higher (especially with a full tank of gas and the optional top box full of stuff), but it's not hard to get used to.

4. Weight - The FJR is about 200 lbs heavier than your scoot. This makes a difference mostly at lower (parking lot) speeds. As speed increases you won't notice the FJR weight.

5. MPG - No doubt you're seeing good mpg with your scoot. For the FJR figure more like 30, to maybe 50 or so, depending on how easily you run it.

Hope this helps with your decision. By the way, I sent you a PM.

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Vespa 250 and an FJR AE and they are very different on so many ways. My wife rides her scooter on the freeway everyday and loves it. I love how light it is and the way it feels around town. I am taking the FJR out to eastern AZ and New Mexiao on a 3 day ride this weekend with some buddies and I can't do that on a scoot or at least I wouldn't try. I am concerned about the seat because I have not added the Russell yet and need to schedule a ride up to get that done soon.

You will do fine. Like most the folks leading up to this have noted, watch for higher CG and weight on the FJR. Keep the FJR under 4000 rpms initially and have fun with it.

Perhaps Violoine will happen across this thread. He moved from the Burgey 650 to the AE. He says it was a natural move for him. Perhaps he will pipe in... or PM him for valuable info.
Welcome,

Heidi
Welcome!I agree with Heidi.I wish I had an AE yesterday.Real bad wreck tying up the freeway and just a real slow creep for at least thirty minutes.Today my left arm and hand is pretty sore.Just keep watching the forum.You will be most happy when you can blast away from a scenerio that the Berg would not!As they say here in the south.Ya'll come back now!

I think you will love it.Not to much power, but good forthe long haul.

No such thing as too much power, usually relates to not enough grey matter. FJR is an easy bike to control, it is forgiving, sure it's heavy but so is a slab if you hold it in one hand, shit a bottle of JD can tip you over if you hold it out at arms length without drinking some. You will enjoy the ride and you will want to ride some more. Make the move...

Cejay

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys have been very supportive and encouraging.

I have yet to actually see or test drive the FJR in person as I am slammed until Christmas, but since I bought the Burgman 400 without a test drive, I feel if you do enough research, talk to enough enthusiasts, then you can make an intelligent decision. No bike, car, job or woman will ever be perfect; you take the good with the bad, learn their idiosyncrasies, treat them to some Farkles (or Sparkles) and hang on for the ride. You guys seem so genuinely excited about your bike, as were the Burgman owners. I know what I want out of my next bike, and I know the FJR1300AE is the one for me. My M3 has the SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) and I appreciate the control of shifting without the clutch pedal, especially in Atlanta traffic.

I will pull the trigger late winter, early spring and I’m sure I will be buying a bike from a member of this Forum. People who participate in these arenas are serious about their bikes and the way they take care of them, and I believe, would actually like a similar-minded individual taking over their bike. I’ll be lurking. B)

Thanks again.

Brad

Go find a big empty parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvers until your bored beyond belief. Then do it again a few days later. Counter lean all slow turns, especially when your starting from a stop. Lee Parks Total Control is great for explaining slow speed handling in great detail.

Welcome and enjoy.