Burleigh would be proud!!! Cheap factor way up!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the frenel lens idea. If ll you need is to magnify your mp pocket or GPS, these sheets that Andre pointed to might be just the ticket. And they're ony $2 so you aren't risking much.

I need my glasses full time these days so I wear polycarbonate lenses which have variable focus and they darken when exposed to UV.

i'd have to agree that the method of mounting might need to be improved for ease of impact. a huge, stamped steel clip aimed at the bridge of your nose is pretty intimidating. i've worn glasses for years and make sure the "glass" meets safety glass requirements and i know the metal frames are more bendy than a document clip is.

When the map in my tank bag became multi colored modern art I had to admit reading glasses might be needed. I took my helmet and tank bag to my optician along with the measurements of distance on the motorcycle. He made a pair of glasses with a reading section located and sized just to read the top of the tank bag and the rest of the lens with no correction. They work like a champ on the bike. Now I CAN READ THE MAP AND DO NOT GET LOST, AS MUCH.

Longrider

If it's just to read you GPS..have you thought about using something like this:

https://www.officeonthegogo.com/

I have a bit of the same problem, but instead of mounting my GPS (Zumo 550) off the center stem nut like many have done here, I mounted on the left bar. This brings the unit closer to my face, thus making it easy enough to read without resorting to magnification.

I do have a set of those small stick on lenses..(Optix?) and use them on the safety glasses in my shop, and take them off to use on my polariod sunglasses when fishing (can't see those damn little eyelets anymore to tie my line up to a hook) ...but never thought about using them on or in my helmet.

I guess after thinking about frying all those ants as a kid with my dads magnifing glass, the idea of putting a magnifing lense anywhere near my skin makes me hesitant..

But just for shits and grins I just went out and tried mounting the stick-ons to the visor on my helmet....they are too small and the increased distance from the my eyes makes them seem smaller and changes the focal aspects. I would bet one of those small credit card sized fresnel sheets could be cut down and used more efficaintly.

KM

NOTE- First post edited to address safety issues raised by concerned, caring, fellow forum members. :wub:

Well, today I finally got a chance to do some testing, day and night. These things work great!!! After some getting used to, I hardly notice the added visual of the lens edges. :yahoo:

Now, if I can just find the right clear lens for my Oakley's to eliminate all that glare and reflectivity....

Good idea Toe, but I hate to say it that the field vision will be next to go. I thought I would never have to wear glasses and now 2 months ago, bam! I no longer can use "just" readers. I bought a pair for distance and a pair for reading but now realize I need a pair of bi-focals which really should work great for riding and reading the maps on the tankbag. I'll be cool though and get the ones with no lines in the lenses and turn dark automatically with the sun.... only thing left is depends. :lol: PM. <><

I like MadMike’s Optx 20/20 stick on idea for my sun glasses….. I would NOT want them on the shield…..

I am to the point that it will not be too long before I will probably be stuck wearing my Rx glasses all the time; but I am still strongly resisting as long as I can. Like Geezer, my lenses are polycarbonate, variable focus with photo gray so they darken when exposed to UV, They would make the most sense to use, but I do not need any correction for driving, just for reading. Wahhh Wahhh Wahhhh

I will be interested in Toecutter’s report on his success with the ones he is going to try.

I will be interested in Toecutter’s report on his success with the ones he is going to try.
I've been using them for a couple of weeks now, with all my expectations exceeded. It's like having a bifocal helmet. Overall, safety is increased, as I now spend less time trying to focus on instrument reading and more time eyes-up and concentrating on situational awareness. No fogging either, but I didn't expect that to be an issue with my Respro Foggy Face Guard in place.

buttrock.gif
:good:

I like MadMike’s Optx 20/20 stick on idea for my sun glasses….. I would NOT want them on the shield…..
I couldn't get them to stick on the inside of my Oakley lens. I'm currently looking at (and open to ideas for) adhesive alternatives to water, because it would be just the ticket for EMS tasks.

I've been using them for a couple of weeks now, with all my expectations exceeded. It's like having a bifocal helmet. Overall, safety is increased, as I now spend less time trying to focus on instrument reading and more time eyes-up and concentrating on situational awareness. No fogging either, but I didn't expect that to be an issue with my Respro Foggy Face Guard in place.

buttrock.gif
:good:

I couldn't get them to stick on the inside of my Oakley lens. I'm currently looking at (and open to ideas for) adhesive alternatives to water, because it would be just the ticket for EMS tasks.
Sounds like it should be worth a $15 investment on my part….. I need to find my Rx for my glasses so I can get a better idea of the strength of magnification to order…

I would hope to get them to work on my Gargoyles unless I also have an adhesion problem. If I do then I would try them on my Serengeti Drivers….

I could not agree more that it would increase safety by reducing focus time for instrument readings. My Rx glasses do not get as dark as I prefer for sunglasses, so I resist wearing them.

Let me know how you make out on an alternative adhesive. I am not sure what might work that would not tend to create some optical distortion.

Try a little "soapy" water. Not window cleaner, but dish soap.....

Sounds like it should be worth a $15 investment on my part….. I need to find my Rx for my glasses so I can get a better idea of the strength of magnification to order…
Most drug stores (Longs, Rite Aid, Walmart, etc.) sell reading glasses with the magnification on the label. Simply try some on at their rack and try them at different reading distances. They come in 1.5; 1.75; 2.0; etc., then you'd know the magnification you need.

Try a little "soapy" water. Not window cleaner, but dish soap.....
Tried that. Even clamped 'em with a clothes pin and a microfiber towel while they were wet. It just dimpled the lens to the fabric pattern of the towel and left a gap at the top straight part that I couldn't see through.

And thanks for the samples! I also ordered a pair earlier that night, but I don't have many more sets to ruin before I get it right. Maybe some clear silicone? Elmer's glue? It has to stay clear after it dries. I might have to check with an optometrist.

The reason I wanted to look up my Rx for my regular reading glasses is so that if the magnification factor is very different between my left/right (id est .25 or greater) is that I would buy two sets of the Optx 20/20… .one at each magnification range. (I looked in my records and do not have a copy of the Rx so I will have to call my ophthalmologist on Monday to get it.)

But Toe!... what about the 'granny knitting old fart FJR image' that other forums have about us? Can you imagine what happens when they get hold of this one? :rolleyes:

HelmetPeepsjpg.jpg

Good catch, carv......I can see them snickering in their little space boots as we speak.

While not quite as el cheapo, I use thesebifocal/reading safety glasses. TurboDave showed me his on our Peak-To-Peak ride to WFO4.
I usually carry a pair of sunglasses and a pair of clear glasses (for night riding). That way my eyes are protected when I have my face shield partially open for Summer riding.

Uh...Bob...welcome to this "stage of maturity". :D
Back to glasses you wear on your nose...

I really like these from Whitehorse Gear. They're a bit more expensive than the AO safety glasses, but I found them to be a lot more comfortable, especially for the long haul.

Like madmike, I carry carry both clear and tinted ones.

I tried the stick on style on sunglasses. For me, they sucked. Big time. I could never get them to be anything better than blurry spots on the lenses. I'll be watching to see if someone gets them to work out though.

Safety Glasses USA has that brand for less than HALF of the Whitehorse catalog. Did you look through all 4 pages of reader/bifocals? I'm just sayin'.....

Good catch, carv......I can see them snickering in their little space boots as we speak.

Who cares?!?! Function over form.... What next, are we going to start wearing levis, T-shirts and tennis shoes so they won't snicker at our ATGATT?