Burleigh would be proud!!! Cheap factor way up!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um......"your atgatt". Speak for yourself. My atgatt is a turban made up of bandanas. :rolleyes:

But Toe!... what about the 'granny knitting old fart FJR image' that other forums have about us? Can you imagine what happens when they get hold of this one? :rolleyes:
They can laugh all they want, but some of them will survive their youth and, hopefully, not be so brain-damaged that they will remember this awesome setup when they are blessed with maturity.

About the safety bifocals:

It’s no surprise they were selected as a Motorcycle Consumer News innovation of the month. Our 49 year-old product tester found he can now read tank bag maps with ease!
They haven't seen this one yet. I get to wear my favorite sunglasses that still look dope when worn alone, not some Cheapo safety glasses. I might look a bit funny donning my helmet to read the menu, but....I could just pop them off for inside gatherings. Innovation!

Toe,

Did you look into prescription lenses for your Oakleys? I found this on the Oakley website: "M Frame® and Pro M Frame® can be fitted with Rx implants. Currently, implants are not available for the Mag M Frame®. These ophthalmic lenses are integrated into the single-lens shields to provide corrective optics, custom ground for your prescription."

As much as I like my Oakleys, they are not my first choice when riding. I prefer Body Specs for riding. The air moving over face (yes, inside the helmet) dries my eyes out. I need something that seals out that air without fogging up. This is a good photo of the Body Specs:

opticsplanet_1988_356198889.jpg

I'm not endorsing OpticsPlanet. I found mine on Amazon last year for $45. OpticsPlanet lists them at $210, but I think that includes the cost of prescription lenses (at least I would hope it does!).

These glasses are great for several reasons:

• Detachable foam gasket really cuts down on the air that flows over the eyeballs

• Interchangeable clear lenses mean I can wear them at night

• For short rides or walks away from the bike I can wear the temples, remove the gasket and they function just like a comfortable pair of sunglasses

• For long rides, I use the elastic band and there is no pressure on the sides of my head (from a helmet driving temples into my skull)

• Lined Bifocal Prescription (Edit Feb 11: lined bifocals will cost me 30 bucks under my insurance :yahoo: )

• MIL-STD 662 and ANSI Z87.1/ANSI Z80.3 ballistic and safety standards (a big plus for riding glasses IMO)

Having plastic spoons in your helmet during a get-off could have tragic consequences. I share Andre's concern on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky enough to survive my youthful days of jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes…..helmet optional…..etc…..

But of course then I was YOUNG, BULLET PROOF and KNEW IT ALL!!!!!

I also have a pair of clear-lensed Oakleys, which I'll use for dimly-lit days and at night for eye protection, which is always a good idea for riding. I have to keep my visor closed, due to possible bee intrusion :swoon: , but redundancy in eye protection is usually a good thing.

Couldn't you use THESE stick on magnifiers?
They're small, but they might work.
Not sure how good those would be, due to the angle of the shield and the size of the lens. Somebody get some and report back!

You could always get enough of those for all the glasses you wear inside the helmet.
I think you can cut them to whatever size and shape you want with sissors. Probably still won't work on a shield but you can make them really small for your sunglasses.