Busa and a FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be purchasing an '08 'Busa as well. I think it will be a good complement to the FJR. I will set the FJR up to be my long haul bike and I will use the 'Busa as my around town/short tourer.

I was curious if it is true that the handling on the busa is a lot worse than the FJR? I would think the 2 bikes would handle more similar to each other than different from each other.

I've always thought that a busa or a blackbird would be a fun 2nd bike, but the more I think about the more I like the idea of something like gsxr 750 or an r6.

I was curious if it is true that the handling on the busa is a lot worse than the FJR? I would think the 2 bikes would handle more similar to each other than different from each other.
I had an '04 Busa. Loved it. Took it to the Dragon twice. Finally sold it because my neck couldn't take the riding position and more (damn the aging process!). Bought the FJR as a replacement.

In my opinion, the FJR does handle better than my 04 Busa did. Also stops better. Nothing can replace the Busa's power & thrust though. What a beast! B)

I believe my Busa handles better than my FJR; not that the FJR handles poorly, but my confidence level in high speed turns is higher on the Busa. Perhaps it's just the 100 lb weight difference. I've gotten used to the performance of my FJR (nice), but my Busa still scares the !#$!%&* out of me under full acceleration. The Busa just never seems to stop pulling - and hard! As for stopping power, hands down... FJR wins (I desparately need after-market pads on my Busa.) If I had to sum it up; the FJR is fun, quick, and comfortable. The Busa is rocket scary fast, somewhat uncomfortable, but the closest thing to an F-16 I'll probably ever control. I wouldn't give up either one of them. :yahoo:

I currently own both an 05 Busa and a 05 FJR. Both bikes are incredible for what they are designed for. The new 08 Busa is awsome, but the 07's and lower will fill the ticket just as well. I am currently selling my 05 (look in the ads), the wifey and I prefer the FJR for the long hauls and it currently better fits what we want to do. If you can own both, then own both, you will never regret either one of the bikes.

Just curious. Am I the only one that owns a FJR and a Hayabusa?
No, you are not I'm affraid. :lol:

Love my Busa and the FJR.

hh

108_0891.jpg

I believe my Busa handles better than my FJR; not that the FJR handles poorly, but my confidence level in high speed turns is higher on the Busa. Perhaps it's just the 100 lb weight difference. I've gotten used to the performance of my FJR (nice), but my Busa still scares the !#$!%&* out of me under full acceleration. The Busa just never seems to stop pulling - and hard! As for stopping power, hands down... FJR wins (I desparately need after-market pads on my Busa.) If I had to sum it up; the FJR is fun, quick, and comfortable. The Busa is rocket scary fast, somewhat uncomfortable, but the closest thing to an F-16 I'll probably ever control. I wouldn't give up either one of them. :yahoo:
Mine stops on a dime as well it should. Around $1800 in brake upgrades. ;) Magura Billet Radial master cylinders brought it all together.

hh

106_0608.jpg

106_0682.jpg

I'll be with you soon. I've got an RV that I have to sell before I get a ZX14 or possibly the 2008 Busa. Nothing like having the best of both worlds.

Never ridden on a 'busa. I am surprised at the comments on its handling being only on par with the Feej.

My second bike is a 5th gen VFR (pre Vtec, thank-you). Its handling is far superior to the FJR, but it is not nearly as stable at higher speeds, doesn't do two-up very well, and has nowhere near the power of the FJR. To me, these two bikes compliment each other exquisitely. The FJR has power, comfort and stability, The VFR has the nimble handling, flick-ability and very unique V4 engine character while still catering to the old man ergos. I would imagine a Gixxer or R1 would fill the same role, but with a severe penalty in the comfort department.

Just for grins I picked up an Aprilia Pegaso (very, very similar to a BMW F650) this summer. That bike also compliments the FJR well. It is a complete blast to ride, handles like it is on rails, weighs next to nothing, can be blasted down dirt roads, etc. Same idea as Orangevale's DR but just a bit more road oriented. But, it is a thumper, and all that this means. It couldn't be any more different than the FJR, which I guess is what makes it "complimentary".

Man was not meant to ride on one bike. That's why garages have room for so many of them...

Pics of my rides at My Webshots link below for anyone interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff ya got there Fred. I really like the Duc, In fact I may own one shortly if the deal goes through.

:jester:

Nice stuff ya got there Fred. I really like the Duc, In fact I may own one shortly if the deal goes through.
:jester:
Thanks. That was a very fun bike. Talk about quick handling and light!! And the sound with the termi exhaust upgrade I did was to die for. But, that was only a 750 and it was just too small for me (it fit my 20 y/o son great) and so I sold that to buy the VFR.

I've always thought that a busa or a blackbird would be a fun 2nd bike, but the more I think about the more I like the idea of something like gsxr 750 or an r6.

NO it is NOT true at all that the FJR handles better or even as well as the Busa. In fact its not even close, my brother owns an 07 FJR that he bought new and I own an 03 Busa which I bought new. The FJR handles well but not even close to the Busa. My brother has commented several times how much better my Busa handles over his FJR. We have ridden each others bikes several times and the difference in handling is very noticable. His FJR is very comfortable but it is no sportbike when it comes to handling.

NO it is NOT true at all that the FJR handles better or even as well as the Busa. In fact its not even close, my brother owns an 07 FJR that he bought new and I own an 03 Busa which I bought new. The FJR handles well but not even close to the Busa. My brother has commented several times how much better my Busa handles over his FJR. We have ridden each others bikes several times and the difference in handling is very noticable. His FJR is very comfortable but it is no sportbike when it comes to handling.
Which is as it should be considering the busa is a sportbike.

Which is as it should be considering the busa is a sportbike.

Thats my point, the FJR does not handle as well as a Busa but it is not intended to. The FJR is a touring bike not a sportbike. I was just setting the record straight when it comes to the handling of the 2 bikes.