Busa & ZX14 Hyper bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguy

Reaction score
Let me say at the outset that my interest here is purely from an engineering standpoint. I have no bones to pick with any mfg or genre of bike. This topic became interesting to me as a side product of taking some tire footprints at various air pressures to maximize braking performance on a number of bikes.

It appears to me that the weak link in the performance chain is not brakes, suspensions or even engines. It is the 4.5 to 8 sq. in. contact patch of the tires. That's precious little contact with terra firma. Cars have the advantage of being able to utilize flat tread faces on their tires allowing much more contact area. Want more traction? Simple. Put on much wider, stickier tires and upgrade the suspension accordingly. Bike? Forget it. Going wider is not only expensive, you are limited to a very narrow range of acceptable profiles and actually get very little from upsizeing even if you do it right and use wider wheels. Being limited in the lateral acceleration that they can achieve, bikes rely on their overall narrowness to make the curve straighter to maximize cornering speeds rather than traction. Form is everything.

Horsepower is fun but it can quickly become your enemy. Denny Hulme said of driving the 1,200hp Porche 917 K3 that " you can punch it to the floor in top gear at 180mph and break the rear tires loose!" He said that driving it in the dry was like driving most cars in the wet. He used a variable boost control to limit power because it was FASTER! Now we are seeing the focus shift on leading edge racing bikes from power to traction devices. Traction controls and wheelie controls, which are really a power limiter of one sort of another, slipper clutches, and ABS brakes (street) are all aiming at allowing the rider to dance on the edge of the envelope more acutely as opposed to redefining the envelope. Recently we've seen Kaw utilize "flies" and Suzuki lead the way with multiple maps to limit power. Maybe they know something.

It seems to me that the 600cc class sportbikes are pretty much the top of the performance/hp curve. From here more power means more weight and tire abuse. Since that contact patch can't handle any more power in the turns or braking, riders of liter bikes have to make up for slower cornering speeds and longer stops with faster exits and straights. But this trade off is in favor of only top (or heavy) riders. The average guy is better able to take advantage of the lighter weight rather than the additional power and typically has faster laps on track day on the 600. The highly experienced and much practiced rider is probably just as fast on either. It takes the pro or elite street rider to take advantage of the prodigious output of the big bike and even then the difference is usually only 2 - 3mph (average). This is probably why the GP bikes were cut back to 800cc. I have not followed it but I would love to know what comparative lap times are on the 800cc bikes as compared to the old liter bikes. My guess is that they are about the same, or maybe even faster.

Anyone know?

Enter the 1,300cc sportbikes. Where we added 40-50 to get to 1,000cc's we now add another 110lbs with the same load capacity tires. Now we have enough power and weight to melt the tires and brakes in short order. In a 20 lap race the 600's would have them for lunch, forget the liter bikes. That would mean that these brutes are most at home on the drag strip. Now with the new '08 Busa there is so much power on tap that even the pro rider can't take advantage of it in standard form, calling it "unlaunchable". Seems Kaw asked themselves many of the same question I did but given their liability position elected to tame the bottom end of the tach to make their bike more user friendly to the masses. It's weight and upper end will still melt tires and brakes on the track and many cracked frames are coming to light (not sure if it's related) but those who want to ride it like a SV 650 can. Suzuki, in need of a leapfrog, chose to unleash the full rage of a 1,300cc high compression cannon on 7sq in of rubber. This could get ugly, in my estimation as 1:50 riders I see are "above average". 1 in 200 are "very advanced", yet 1 in 5 tell me they are well up to handling a liter bike.

Are we going way overboard on this power fix to the point we actually have LESS capability?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to this discussion (assuming anyone cares) . . .

I have now read six different articles/reviews about the new Ducati Desmosedici RR. Here's my take.

• To a person, the reviewers are blown away by the idea of the bike. The concept, the kit, the specs, the whole thing. And yes, most of these guys get all goofy at the mere thought of a Ducati.
  • Despite the specs (200 bhp), they all keep waiting for the big hit on the straights that doesn't come. It's not that it's slow, just that it doesn't hit like a Japanese open classer. A bit of let down if you read between the lines.
  • They only got five laps on the beast, and every one of them hated the bike in the corners. One guy put it down to the fact that he's Pedrosa sized and the bike wasn't set up for him. At least two guys have a different take on it based on overcooking a turn in a big way. What to do? Grab a big handful of Brembo, pitch it in hard, and hope for the best. And voila, the thing inhales the corner and powers out the other side. Note to self. You can't ride a MotoGP bike like a pussy.

So no duh on the last bit. It's built for doing things into, through, and out of corners that apparently even experienced journalists aren't used to doing. And before we slay the scribblers, the guys writing these particular road tests go to some length to list their pretty decent credentials.

I suppose the good news is that all 1500 of these critters are bought and paid for and most won't make it out of the living room. Of the few that do, I suspect many will wind up wadded up or wounded. As a work of industrial art, macho optimism, or Sir Edmund Hilllary thinking (I built it because I could), these bikes are true wonders. Beyond that? I suspect that in the not too distant future we'll look back at some of these bikes and wonder what we were thinking.

Let the dog pile begin!

Flyguy, I think you are dead-on with your analysis.

I saw a show on Speedchannel where they took a 'Busa engine and built a F1-type racecar around it and raced it against a Busa bike with a racer on it. Even a a couple hundred pounds lighter, the bike couldn't catch it.

The rider said: "I just can't compete with his extra traction in the turns. He is carrying more average speed around the track that I can't make up between turns!"

The really amazing thing about the hyper-bikes is that they turn as well as they do. Only a few years ago a bike with that hp would only be good in a straight line.

However, I think we are running up against the laws of physics now.

But for Sport-Touring riding, with the long, long straights with tons of wind resistance 'cuz I don't want to hunch over, cargo, a passenger and heavier fuel load, gimme horsepower! The more the better!

(just don't get squirrely in the turns.)

I have a saying that I get teased about with regards to fast cars "It seems in life that there is always room for an extra 100hp". The same basic saying applies to motorcycles as far as I am concerned. There is nothing like dropping the hammer on a fast car or motorcycle - or anyting else for that matter.

The crazy thing is that the base ZX-14 and Busa's are tame compared to what many people do to them. I know guys with 210-230 rear horsepower naturally aspirated Busa's that make the stock stuff look ordinary. And then you have the turbo guys easily putting down 250-300 rear wheel horspower in street trim.

And one you get used to those, just about anybody with a need for speed will be looking for even more power.

A 600 the pinnacle of power and performance? Geezzz, get real man.... Someone may be as fast around VIR on one as a big bore ZX-10 or Gixer 1000 but I would be bored riding a 600 on the street by the time I got out of my neighborhood.

:rolleyes:

Mark

A 600 the pinnacle of power and performance? Geezzz, get real man.... Someone may be as fast around VIR on one as a big bore ZX-10 or Gixer 1000 but I would be bored riding a 600 on the street by the time I got out of my neighborhood.
:rolleyes:

Mark
I agree. Without sounding too much like a Harley guy, there is something to be said for torque and that roll on power that the bigger displacement machines have. You have to be careful with WFO corner exits, but it is a beautiful thing to stretch your arms by rolling on the throttle in top gear at 80 mph.

You miss quote. I wrote " 600cc class sportbikes are pretty much the top of the performance/hp CURVE." Very different.

I clearly understand the advantages to larger displacement engines after many miles on a FJR. My question was whether or not we had reached a point of not just diminishing returns, but actually reaching physical limits. The new Busa is a perfect example. For all it's extra power, torque and technology it is less than one tenth of a second faster on the dragstrip in stock trim. If that the case in unrestricted venues then the heavy limitations of street riding make the extra power even more useless.

The crazy thing is that the base ZX-14 and Busa's are tame compared to what many people do to them. I know guys with 210-230 rear horsepower naturally aspirated Busa's that make the stock stuff look ordinary. And then you have the turbo guys easily putting down 250-300 rear wheel horspower in street trim.
OK, good example. Now tell me what you can do with them? Even well sorted ones could not keep up with "spirited" rides we used to have with a VFR group. I have thought for a while that the best thing the manufacturers could do is to focus on lowering the weight instead of adding HP. Lower weight benefits all aspects of performance riding - acceleration, braking, handling and even fuel economy. I haven't heard of any addtional benefits of adding HP other than the 40 - 80mph pull on your shoulder blades or theoretical dragstrip bragging rights.

Hey I like your write up Flyguy. If you do the track days seems like the 600's are giving everything else a run for their money. Of note I really like the Gixxer 750 in a class of its own still having a lite power to weight ratio but right in there. A real happy medium. And really its not "all" about riding around a track or twisty road with other bikes. But as mentioned most people, Americans inparticular, like excess including me and really even though it is hard to even find a safe place to uncap your ride to its capabilities I say let the manufacture's have another meeting, this time agree to eliminate the 186 mph cap on stock units and let the dice land where they will. I kinda of miss the Ninja's of old power but not all the problems we use to deal with. The question as I see it is do we really need big brother (not to turn into a political thread), or the bike makers regulating and limiting power on machines that we pay cash for? Prime example is the guys mentioned turning their already rockets into mega rockets. If someone wants it, let the games begin. There is power in our blood in a never-ending search to quench our thirst. After all isn't that the American way? PM. <>< :yahoo:

Well since no one responding in this thread (so far) appears to actually OWN and ride one of the two bikes mentioned in the subject line.... I'll add my 2 cents :p

In a nutshell..... flyguy is not without a point or two in his original premise.

I am finding that the 2008 Hayabusa is, for all intents and purposes, beyond insane. If I have to be completely honest.... it has little business being on the street in the hands of anyone but the most capable, mature and disciplined rider. I am quite serious.

Fortunately for me... I qualify for two out of three of the criteria. Fair enough.... :lol:

Now, I have no doubt that there are throngs of Busa owners - certainly among the 20-40 year-old crowd - who would take exception to this position. Likely enough, this is the same crowd that goes about RUINING a perfectly good riding machine with all the ridiculous "slamming and stretching", running goofy-ass wide 240mm or wider car tires on the back end, etc, etc. I cringe every time I see a photo of one of these abominations.

Out of the crate, the K8 (aka the Gen II, 2008 model Busa) is a stunning piece of engineering marvel. It is hard to believe that such a heavy-ass machine - and believe me, this bastard is a heavy sumbitch - handles as well as it does once its underway at speed. Suzuki has performed nothing short of a miracle in the amount of engineering refinement that had been put into this powertrain and chassis. It truly is something that has to be ridden to even believe, let alone appreciate.

All this happy horseshit having been said.... my Blackbird can run circles around it in pretty much every scenario that doesn't involve straights, sweepers, or roll-on comparisons. :eek:

Obviously, and without question, in a situation where the tighter twisties, canyons are not a factor, 194 hp is going to win out over 140 hp every time.

But in the tighter stuff, tracks like Barber Motorsports and Valencia, I am willing to bet that all other factors being equal (same rider, tires, etc) the CBR1100XX would take it. The K8 would probably be at its heels, mind you, but the CBR1100XX is going to allow the rider to hustle the 'Bird around the tight stuff faster that the Busa. Strangely, the weight of the two bikes are not all that different. But at lower speeds, the Busa (and I have to admit this, because it's simply the truth) is a complete wallowing PIG compared to the Blackbird. The XX carries it weight *much* better, particularly at low speeds. Shit, guys, even the FJR feels significantly lighter on it's feet than the Hayabusa, just from moving them around in the garage or in low-speed parking lot situations. I admit I was surprised and disappointed to find this to be the case.
crap.gif

Still and all, once you get a little speed going, the pig-like sensation does go away (similar to the way the FJR suddenly "loses weight" once your out of the parking lot), and the Hayabusa becomes a stunning machine to ride. It actually does feel more stable at speeds above XX-Nominal, so the weight does have a usefulness to it.

Power... speed... exceptional handling at speed.... the K8 Busa is absolutely the Bike of the Gods when it comes to riding the open Plains and Steppes of southeastern Washington. I am MORE than happy with this procurement, believe me.

But an ace canyon-carver, it ain't.
shrug.gif
Nor was it designed to be, truth be told. It was meant for the open road, blasting along in the vast Basins and Ranges of the Desert West. In that environment, there isn't another bike on the face of the planet that can approach it in raw performance.

Here's a twist on the subject. I can have the time of my life sittiing in the garage with my FJR and ZX14, a six pack of beer and good tunes in the background , fully aware of the awesome performances that these bikes unleash. :rolleyes:

It was mentioned "In that environment, there isn't another bike on the face of the planet that can approach it in raw performance". Now come on, you know better than that... :D

It will be interesting to see how the mags pit the 08 Busa against the 08 ZX-14. I have read complaints about the weight of the 08 Busa and its brakes in a couple of places so I would imagine that the ZX-14 has it beat in at least those areas. Both bikes should be very close in performance. On a side note, I have seen your posts on the weight and brakes of the 08 Busa and my gut feeling is that the ZX-14 will be stronger in those areas yet have the same or better power. Thoughts/Ideas?

The local guys have had an 08 special paint ZX-14. I had asked them to call me when they got an Orange 08 Busa in and they called yesterday. I need to go down there and take a look at them again.

Mark

PM -

The GSXR 750 is probably one of the best blending of capabilities out there IMO. I don't like goverment regulations guiding every aspect of our choices either but I am more concerned here with the regulations and limits of physics.

I am glad to have WC's input here as an experienced rider who actually owns a bike that sits at the top of the (stock) power pecking order. I will take at face value his claim to superior skills and mature style. (those were the 2 - right?) That aside, I will add that my experience is that skilled riders are 1 in 50 and that 1 in 1,000 (at best) are highly skilled. From their point of view, at least 1 in 10 super sport owners think they are. Dangerous disparity. The guy riding a Busa with an oversized tire in the wet clearly has no understanding of physics. He is a danger to himself and us. The guy with a blower is right next to him. Even Rossi couldn't regulate that throttle on anything but dry straights!

WC touched on the real venue, and limitations, of these hyperbikes - out west in the open plains and wide sweepers. Where a man can see miles ahead and roll his wrist back without fear of having his bank account drained. The real potential of these bikes can be reached only by completely disregarding speed limits. Anyway, at less than 10 degrees of lean copius amounts of HP can be delt with as physics is not demanding much of a split in traction from our 7 in. patch between acceleration and what used to be called "centrifical" (now inertial) force. But get over to 20 degrees and things start to get exponentially dicey. Now we have dropped availabe acceleration traction by over 40%! Go to 30 degrees and your down 70%. We have just gone from full traction to wet traction to oily traction. Couple this with a throttle that has a 80 degree range from 0 to 170 hp and you start to understand the limitations. Chuck in some turbo lag, just for fun and you have an impossible situation. The only way to buy back traction is to decrease the inertial force by A) decreasing speed or B) decreasing weight.

Riders need to understand that all other factors being the same, increased HP makes cornering more difficult and virtually always lowers speed.

Riders historical ability to maintain control, of bike AND themselves, can be accurately guaged in insurance rates. An FJR in FL (progressive) is about $800. A C14 is $1200. A ZX14 is $3,100; Busa= $2,850; Turbo Busa = $4,200! This is for good coverage on a 40+ male with no blemishes. Just for further reference a 25+ male with a 08 stock Busa was $5,386. Half the machine's cost! The same rider on a Honda 599 was $2,180. While not not accurate in absolute terms it is very accurate in comparative terms. My only guess is that there are lots of hyper bikes out there uninsured which does no one any good.

Now where did that Staintune ad for FJR headers go . . .