BUYER'S REMORSE ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stick around,

You'll see how open it is when Howie, TWN or some other asshat jumps you for saying something they already know - and they know everything! They farking live here. ;)

Bruce

Huh, I missed it, too. Go figure. And, Bruthie, I don't know everything. For example, I did not know that you were a raging homo fixated on 'asshats'.

Have a gay day, sis! ;)

Gee whiz, Wally, I wonder who the other :wacko: :asshat:s could be?

+1 here. No remorse. FJR is absolutely the best of the, I think, seven bikes I have owned.

Hey fjr pilots,

Had a thought today about making a mistake buying the 06 fjr1300. If I would have had a test ride, I probably would have rode out on an 06 Midnight Warrior instead. I traded in an 01 Roadstar Silverado, so you know the rider position difference. The weight on my hands was the most drastic difference, other than riding with your legs right underneath you, which actually feels quite natural. The quietness of the bike is alright. Switching from 1st to 2nd gear feels alittle clunky. The acceleration of the bike in the first 2 gears is great. The bike handles great, even at parking lot speeds. The Metzeler tires don't follow tar snakes, like on my 02 Venture. Have since adjusted the handlebar to positon 1 (nearest the seat). If I sit as close to the tank as possible, I relieve some of the weight on my hands, By the way, (5'8" 30" inseam @ 175 lbs). With the seat in the lowest positon I can touch the ground on both sides, on the balls of my feet. Seat feels ok, (only 75 miles on the bike so far).

Another major difference is the wind & noise. Also the bike gets tossed around by side winds. My roadstar weighing about 170 lbs. more was great riding next to trucker traffic on I-10 from NM, thru AZ & CA in January. The fjr is really affected by oncoming trucker traffic (wind blasts).

My roadstar's gas range on a tank was approximately 150 miles. The main reason I was looking at the fjr was because of the 6.6 gal. tank. When I decided on the fjr I was already looking at the Kawi Concours w/ it's 7.5 gal. tank. The reports on the Concours' weight issue in parking lot speeds, backed me off, had enough of that with the Venture. (850 lbs). The other bike I was looking at was the 06 Midnight Warrior, but then again it only had a 4 gal. tank.

Let me think about the Farkles (risers, handgrips, windshield). So for now I think I'll continue to try to adapt to the new ride.

bob

So I traded in a 2006 Warrior for the new FJR....don't get me wrong, I loved the Warrior but just not practical for those long rides and the lack of an integrated fairig and side bags, just made it a very impractical ride.

So far, put on about 550 miles and no regrets.....but I must say, I miss the rumble of that V-Twin.

I'm looking to sell a tricked out custom Warrior because of the carrying capacity issue - it;s a great second bike but I have to take the Roadie if I want to go anywhere long distance. Was hoping the FJR would fit both needs (go fast AND long trips) but ya'll are getting me worried now. Of course if I can't sell the Warrior it's a moot point.

Bottom line is if your really unsure....ask around & someone should let you ride one....offers of this have been made all over this forum on various different threads.... B)

Just my $0.02. My last bike was an '02 Triumph Thunderbird. I put a Givi rack & bags, a windshield, highway pegs, a centerstand, and 57,000 miles on it since I bought it in July of '02. Toured all over, loved the handling, rode it like a cafe racer (including grinding flat spots on the pipes and center stand) in pretty much every state in the nation, including two trips to the Dragon and the Cheraholla skyway. It didn't have chicken strips, it had scrape indicators; you know, the point at which it is leaning so far that I'm draging every part that can be drug without losing road contact, and that was often with me hanging off the inside on turns. But with 70hp and ~60N-m of torque, it was a fun bike but lacked oomph on tours, and while I held my own with my Daytona buddies, I longed for a more nimble horse in the canyons. Rode a bunch of options, including a Rocket III, a BMW 1200GS and an R1200RT, a 1050 Triumph Sprint ST, and had ridden a used '05 FJR (for about 15 miles behind the owner, leading on his Hardley, ie slowly). After much debate, settled on the FJR. The bike before the 'bird was an '82 Suzi GS1100GKZ full-dress touring bike, complete with frame bars around the bags, that I rode the crap out of, but it was always too heavy of a bike for around-town stuff, and never felt that nimble. I still love a lot about the 'bird, though finding dealers is always a biatch (as I nervously realized while driving 1000 miles on a leaking water pump to get to a dealer on my tour route that could have one delivered from Triumph in 2 days). The FJR is clearly not a sport-bike, and is not as nimble as the Sprint. But it is way more fun than either of the Bimmer's, except perhaps off-road, though I doubt that the GS is all that and a bag of chips in dirt.... fire roads, maybe, but dirt? And what the FJR lacks in sheer flickability, it makes up for in a) long distance comfort, and B) dramatically more power than previous bikes. It is certainly no *less* sporty than my T-bird, and I rode the hell out of that bike. I'm now getting used to much more dramatic lean angles--I scraped my boots on a twisty back road this weekend, that is, the outside of my boots while my feet were nestled up against the frame. Freaked me out a bit, 'cause I'm used to hearing "skkkkkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" from sparking parts before I feel the boots rub! I would like this or that to be a bit different, but am in no way disappointned in my purchase. Now I have to decide--do I sell the 'bird, or cafe her and race her in the sub-1000 naked bike heats.......

NOs Buyers Remorse here.!I love my FJR, it's power & handling (wilbers F&R). I am very confident on it. Crystal has been on the whoops of Mt. St. Helens & the twisties of Mt. Baker. The torque and smoth effertless shifting with synthetic blood coursing through here veins makes me smile fron ear to ear. :yahoo: She's everything I want her to be. TJ

Bob,

Have you tried riding with the windscreen down? If not, try it. If you rode around on a warrior I'm sure you are used to a little wind, riding on the wind with the screen down will take the weight off your wrist, it's actually much more comfortable for me on long rides.

I do have to agree with you that the semi trucks really bounce the FJR around. I was hoping it would ride a little better up against them. I keep my shield all the way up when riding near them.

JS

Bob,
Have you tried riding with the windscreen down? If not, try it. If you rode around on a warrior I'm sure you are used to a little wind, riding on the wind with the screen down will take the weight off your wrist, it's actually much more comfortable for me on long rides.

I do have to agree with you that the semi trucks really bounce the FJR around. I was hoping it would ride a little better up against them. I keep my shield all the way up when riding near them.

JS
JSimon,

Just came in from a 33 smile ride. Rode w/ the windshield down to cool myself down, 81+ degrees here in the desert. The adaptation process seems to be coming along quite nicely. The bike handles so good, I feel like a better rider. Forgot the earplugs, but I got to hear the mill up to 4500 rpm that is. The handgrips are also feeling better. Now to get use to the new fulmer Modus helmet (really noisy).

bob

So they hooked me up with Progressive! yep they dicked me 1700 a year.
Wa? I have Progressive and pay $90 a year. Full coverage would have been a couple hundred more. Did you tell them you live in Iraq?

Fred, I also went back and forth with two bikes for a while. After bouncing between the FJR and a R1 I sold the R1. You don’t need to worry about deciding which to keep.… you just notice one day you’ve stopped one of them.

I have to say that some of the negative thoughts I've read here have made me a tad nervous about the 2006.
Like the song, the waiting is the hardest part.

Yamaha gives you six months to obsess about buyers remorse.

I picked my bike up last Thursday, and all worries disappeared.

Some minor annoyances, as with any mechanical design.

There's a little heat on the left shin, an annoying WHISTLE, an instantaneous mpg read-out that was useless anyway, and I goota change underwear brands or somethin because, well, you know what happens as you slide forward towards the tank, but by far, this is the best and most comfotable bike I've ever, maybe not the sportiest, but it is an awesome capable cruiser. The ergonomics are just perfect for me, I'm pretty sure I could go 12 hours on the stock seat, and can't wait for that opportunity.

Makes me wonder why i came into the office today, it's mid-70's and sunny...

AND YES, I WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING HUNG WITH NEW ROPE, what if it's scratchy B)

I mostly ride sportbike and FJR is like haven as far as comfort

and riding position.

If I had any regret at all it would be that I didn't buy it further away from home. The 800 mile trip home ended all too quickly (day and a half).

The 2006 FJR is far and away better than any bike I've ever ridden.

My buyer's remorse was that I demo rode one two years ago and waited that long to buy one.

A second case of buyers remorse is that I no longer have an interest in cruisers.

I have two bikes and am always looking for the next one but NO REMORSE here. I've thought several times about replacing the FJR, then I ride and say --no way.