Buzzing foot pegs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
My foot pegs seem to get really buzzy with engine RPM's > 3.5K or so, doesn't matter if the bike is moving or stationary. It gets buzzy enough so that they start making my toes go numb after a while. Anyone notice this issue and hopefully found a resolution for it? Maybe I need riding shoes with more significant (thicker) rubber soles?

The foot pegs are the only place I notice the buzzing, there is no buzzing on the handle bars, besides I have the Salamander heavy weight bar ends - so maybe they are helping there. Patrick helped me with the TBS on the bike about 1000 miles ago, so it probably isn't that either. Any ideas?

Yamaha engineers diligently designed the footpegs to also be the Throttle Body Desynchronization Detector as well as the Untorqued Motor Mount Indicator.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Iggy said. When I was experiencing buzzing like that, my slider bolts had come loose. Once re-tourqued, every thing returned to normal.

The TBS was done about a 1000 miles ago, but it might be the engine mounts, I will loosen and re-torque and report back. Thanks!

what the torque setting for these? and which one should be done first?
GreyGoose
This can be found in the Bin-O-Facts

35: Left Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Left side First)...

35: Right Front Lower Side Engine mounting bolt (Typical Slider Installation Bolt (torque the Right side last)

The TBS was done about a 1000 miles ago, but it might be the engine mounts, I will loosen and re-torque and report back. Thanks!
Does that coincide with when the pegs began to buzz? :unsure:

How well do you trust the shop that did the TBS to get it right?
It wasn't a shop. It was done RsvlFeej and I. We followed the TBS procedure described on FJRTech. I am pretty sure we got it right! :p

The TB's were off when we measured them at idle before we adjusted them - after adjustment they were almost perfect at idle and well within Yamaha's spec at 4K rpm. The bike was pretty new to me when we did the TBS, so I can't remember if the buzzy foot pegs started before or after.

I did add the Motovation sliders before the TBS was done, so I removed the fairings yesterday and re-torqued the engine mount bolts - however that does not seem to have helped with the buzzy footpegs... :unsure:

Go faster or slower... avoid the RPM range and the buzz will go away.

On a serious note, I've found the buzz to come and go. Sometimes after a fresh TBS, sometimes after a fresh tank of fuel, sometimes after a fresh spark plug change, and sometimes after an oil change. I see you have an '05. Have you done the Barbarian jumper modification? I also had some improvement after completing this modification back in 2005.

worldbound4now

Go faster or slower... avoid the RPM range and the buzz will go away.
On a serious note, I've found the buzz to come and go. Sometimes after a fresh TBS, sometimes after a fresh tank of fuel, sometimes after a fresh spark plug change, and sometimes after an oil change. I see you have an '05. Have you done the Barbarian jumper modification? I also had some improvement after completing this modification back in 2005.

worldbound4now
Have not done the Barbarian Jumper Mod, although I am sitting on a PC-III which I have not had the chance to install yet. Think that will help smoothen out the buzz? I thought it was meant to smoothen out the low end surges (which I don't seem to have anymore after cleaning out the main ECU connector).

Just a reminder....there are 9 motor mounts that need to be torqued correctly, not just the two that hold the sliders on.

Just a reminder....there are 9 motor mounts that need to be torqued correctly, not just the two that hold the sliders on.
Yea, I realized that today while thumbing through the service manual. So I only torqued 4 - there are still 5 (?) more which I need to re-torque? :(

Pictures would have been helpful in the service manual - all it says is the bolt names and their torque values, but I am having trouble figuring out which bolt is which and what is its torque value, or maybe I am too retarded to find the pictures where the mounting bolts are identified :dribble:

When I get to the house later, I'll pull up my engine replacement pictures to show you where all the motor mounts are.

Also, VERY important to remember, if the torque spec is 35 lbs, that means the bolt will strip the engine block at 36. Don't ask me how I know. :(

When I get to the house later, I'll pull up my engine replacement pictures to show you where all the motor mounts are.
Also, VERY important to remember, if the torque spec is 35 lbs, that means the bolt will strip the engine block at 36. Don't ask me how I know. :(
That is a thought which scares me because when I installed the Motovation sliders (no cut) - the instructions said to torque those 4 bolts to 40 lb-ft. These were only supposed to go 35 max weren't they? I hope I didn't strip anything, will loosen them up again and follow the pictures and instructions from you about the engine mounting bolts and their torques when I get home this evening. :blink:

This is only a guess; I could be way off here. Did you recently find a shipping box when you came home, a plain, unmarked shipping box, and when you looked inside, did you see what you assumed was a pair of after-market footpegs that your wife got you as a surprise gift, since the box was addressed to her? And after you mounted them, is that when the buzzing started?

Hey, you have to consider all the possibilities.

This is only a guess; I could be way off here. Did you recently find a shipping box when you came home, a plain, unmarked shipping box, and when you looked inside, did you see what you assumed was a pair of after-market footpegs that your wife got you as a surprise gift, since the box was addressed to her? And after you mounted them, is that when the buzzing started?
I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere...when I figure it out, I promise to laugh :crazy:

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere...when I figure it out, I promise to laugh :crazy:

Yah, this is getting a little weird...
What's the punchline Mikey?
You guys are amazingly dense......

vibrating_egg.jpg