Cafe Racers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reamer2

Reaction score
It may be strange considering my parents recent accident, but I have always wanted a Cafe style bike. There are a few on Craigslist, and I would love to have a bike to wrench on during the winter and ride on the rare sunny days on the SW Washington coast. Has anyone owned one or have any feelings on the subject? I was thinking something along the lines of a late 70's/early 80's Yamaha XS650. I figured that if I at least stuck with a Yamaha ya'll might let me ride with you once BR got a new FJR up and running.

I'm betting that most folks on this site aren't "motorcycle snobs" and will be glad to have you along any time.

Cafe bikes are very cool and very popular right now. Practically any bike can be modified to fit the category....choose one that floats your boat, twins being more inline with the genre, and one that might have an aftermarket parts supply.

Weirdly intriguing from 1977(stock, not custom):

xlcr-1977.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of 76 rd400's and was going to cafe one. The plastic is pretty expensive, but I've been looking for used fairings/seats etc. I had rear sets and had clubman bars on it, but felt as if I would launch over the bars during heavy braking, so put the stock bars back on. Am goin to Vintage Motorcycle Days at Lexington soon, so I may find the plastic there reasonable. Triumph makes a cafe bike now called a Thruxton I believe.

I've always loved Cafe' bikes, The XLCR above while not the greatest bike, has always been a sentimental fave. The Paul Smart Duc's are killer . AS long as your having fun and are out in the wind , it's all good.

I have a couple of 76 rd400's and was going to cafe one. The plastic is pretty expensive, but I've been looking for used fairings/seats etc. I had rear sets and had clubman bars on it, but felt as if I would launch over the bars during heavy braking, so put the stock bars back on. Am goin to Vintage Motorcycle Days at Lexington soon, so I may find the plastic there reasonable. Triumph makes a cafe bike now called a Thruxton I believe.

I was planning on leaving it naked. Clubman bars with bar end mirrors, and I found some cafe style seat cowls for around 150 bucks. If I go with the XS650, the most expensive part will be the rearsets at around 300. Unless I get a little crazy and put a 900cc big bore kit on it...

This beemer belongs to my neighbor. He might sell it. I don't know the year, but it runs good and is pretty cool.

Bob

ps - please give your parents my warm regards.

photo.jpg