Cal-Sci +3.5 Screen Arrived!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides being ham fisted, age will harden the nylon screws.
I guess I'm lucky. I've broken only one (or maybe two) in the several dozen times I've removed, reinstalled, or swapped windshields. And it was because I twisted the windshield at an akward angle before I had a majority of the screws in. I bought a half dozen spares for like $7 a while back at UMotors and still have 4.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?
I'm not preaching anything. How 'bout you?
The Easter Bunny. And I'll preach to anyone who is stoooopid enough to listen. I just ***might*** have been in a bit of a mood last night and of which you were a recipient. :eek:
Hey... no harm, no foul.

And FWIW, you guys (in the multi-crash club) have got me thinking that maybe I should add a handful of nylon screws to my next part order.

See... I may be an old dog, but I can still learn a new trick or two. ;)

Uh...On another topic, not involving screws...Dale Franks, how tall are you? I'm about 5'8" and don't have too much issue with the stock windshield, but would buy an aftermarket if it made significant difference. Also, being kinda vain, I don't want a huge windshield sticking up from the lowered position if I don't need it. So...If you are 6', +3.5 is probably too much shield for me. If you're 5'7"-5'10", it may be what I am "kinda" looking for.

Good Gawd! Yamaha didn't invent the nylon windshield screw; my Vetter fairing from the 70's had 'em...

Pepperell

Makes me think of a movie line—“I call that bold talk from a one-eyed fat man”--from “True Grit”.

I mean think about it. An “Admin” who asks

have you crashed your FJR
and then says

:uhoh:
then refers to another rider, in a context other than riding, as

the ham-fisted dolt
:rolleyes:

Have a nice day.
:good:

Anybody know of any documented destructive-tests that have been performed, regarding tension or retention capabilities, on the "Well Nuts" that retain the screws? Figuring of course, the manufacturers may, or likely, have some data/info on the subject. But, is that data/info published openly?

:bike:

Anybody know of any documented destructive-tests that have been performed, regarding tension or retention capabilities, on the "Well Nuts" that retain the screws? Figuring of course, the manufacturers may, or likely, have some data/info on the subject. But, is that data/info published openly?
:bike:
I was going to raise this as well, but thinking about the well nuts, they would release the shield only in the forward direction. Which is good since that's the direction you would be traveling, but if the pressure on the shield were lateral to it the screws would not shear off easily like the plastic ones do.

Dale Franks, How tall are you??
I would like to know this also, and what size your +3.5" is (L?, XL?)

I'm 5'10". The guy from CalSci recommended the XL. I'm sure he recommended this because I live in the Colorado mountains and it's cold even during summer mornings. I'm thinking L or XL but can't decide.

Thanks.

Dale Franks, How tall are you??
I would like to know this also, and what size your +3.5" is (L?, XL?)

I'm 5'10". The guy from CalSci recommended the XL. I'm sure he recommended this because I live in the Colorado mountains and it's cold even during summer mornings. I'm thinking L or XL but can't decide.
A better question would include not only height, but inseam length. I'm also 5'10, but sit taller in the saddle than some people I know who are 6'2".

Good Gawd! Yamaha didn't invent the nylon windshield screw; my Vetter fairing from the 70's had 'em...
Pepperell
And they actually do work as designed (e.g. glas1/2ful's crash a while back. Clicky) Likely they might also help protect the windshield...

Well, the first farkle (second, if you don't count sliders) arrived this afternoon from California Scientific. I got the +3.5 inch windshield.
First, good on Cal-Sci for sending along real, live, stainless steel machine screws to mount it. Good thing, too, because one of the OEM plastic screwheads just snapped off

The screen itself works first-rate. At the lowest setting, I get a smooth flow of air on the helmet and shoulders. At the highest setting, I am sitting is a cocoon of almost perfectly still, noiseless air. It really is a first-rate screen for being buffet-free, even at speeds approaching--but not crossing, because that would be wrong--100 MPH.

There's no back pressure at all, and the weather protection is really excellent. I'm very impressed, especially coming from the windshield on my Sporty, which was a buffeting monster. The stock FJR screen is better than the Sporty's but the Cal-Sci windshield seems just about perfect.

I'm very happy with it.
So how tall are you? Just trying to figure out the size I will need to order at some point.

I am not Dale Franks

But I am 6ft with a 32 inch inseam. I replaced my stock shield with a CalSci 06-07 Large. It is 3.5 inches taller than stock and about 4 inches wider. It was good with the stock seat. It was great away from traffic. My only problem was slight increased noise when around traffic and at interstate speeds. Skyway spacers did not help the problem and scratched my fairing. I was not in the market for a new shield.

The CalSci was too short when I added a Russell saddle. I replaced it with a Rifle . I think the Rifle was a +5 high +4 wide. It is not actually a +5 since it is tilts back significantly. With the Russell saddle this is the perfect shield for me. A 85mph sitting straight up I can see over the shield and there is no wind noise or buffeting. It is spendy and it is big but it does its job perfectly. We will see how it does in the summer. I am more bothered by noise than heat so I think I have found the shield for me. Quality of fit and finish was better on the Rifle than the CalSci.