Calling all Gen3 owners! Lets talk about riding modes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What riding mode do you use?

• Total voters
When I test rode her just before signing my deal, I went out in "Sport" and came back in "Tour". I damn near dropped her turning from a stopped intersection because the throttle response was not the same in 1st as it was 10 minutes earlier. I could live with just "Sport", but today i rode in Tour and it was nice to see the estimated MPG and that "Eco" "reward" indicator......
no.gif

As the switch in my brain has been stuck on "sport" since 1978.....I'd likely choose the same get the bike to match.

Touring just makes the bike to slower right?
Not really slower...just smoother on shifts and take off due to gradual introduction of power.
Gee, I always thought that was a function of the aforementioned brain and its control over your right hand.... ;)
As good as it all sounds and yeah, it makes the bike "safer" for the masses, I think it's getting to the limit of where its starting to cross that line where riding a bike is less of a skill but of computer controlled technology.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. I think ABS is the most important breakthrough in plain common sense that's ever been applied to a motorcycle.

I guess im staring to wonder how much control is being taken away from the rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not an owner but am at least officially a rider of one, a whole 20 minutes if you can believe it!. Rode one yesterday at the Long Beach show. Really enjoyed it. Throttle response either way came in very nicely. I started out in sport, switched to tour a couple of times during the ride and came back thinking I would probably only use tour while in town. I know you still have full power in tour mode but it sure didn't feel like it. Wacked it briefly open a couple of times and got not much in return, which I suppose is what it's meant to do. When I get one I suspect it will be mostly in sport mode.

I went ahead and changed my vote to Sport, that's the way Ride Now Yamaha had her set up for me and I am too old and stupid to figure out how to switch it to Touring! A view of Naomie's left side with her Proud Papa Chuy standing by his new sweetheart!

100_1316.jpg

Fixed it for you mi compadre! You're welcome! Welcome from San Diego!

I went ahead and changed my vote to Sport, that's the way Ride Now Yamaha had her set up for me and I am too old and stupid to figure out how to switch it to Touring! A view of Naomie's left side with her Proud Papa Chuy standing by his new sweetheart!

100_1316.jpg

Hey now, as soon as I can figure how to open up the fairing glove box to get to the Owner's Manual I am going to try out the Touring Mode today. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Well, I'm not an owner but am at least officially a rider of one, a whole 20 minutes if you can believe it!. Rode one yesterday at the Long Beach show. Really enjoyed it. Throttle response either way came in very nicely. I started out in sport, switched to tour a couple of times during the ride and came back thinking I would probably only use tour while in town. I know you still have full power in tour mode but it sure didn't feel like it. Wacked it briefly open a couple of times and got not much in return.
I just got back from getting a Gen III and was fortunate enough to be able to put 700 miles on the bike in just a few days. IMHO, the best way to describe the two modes:

Sport - 1/4 turn throttle

Tour - 3/4 turn throttle

That is the easiest way for me to describe it.

I like Sport mode if I am going to be paying attention to the throttle hand and want precise changes with the littlest movement possible. When I move my right hand, the motor responds immediately. I had someone staying with me on my right side blind spot when I left a light yesterday and a small, gentle twist left the guy 15 car lengths behind me.

I like Touring mode when I want to enjoy the scenery, smell the cow pies and detach from the bike a little bit. The bike is nice and stable if I'm moving around on the seat, going to the back to get coffee or just being the ham-fisted rider that I am. :)

As has been stated, Sport surely ups the initial acceleration for a given amount of throttle rotation and I like that feeling of power at times. However, I am more satisfied with Touring more of the time, because the power delivery can be better modulated,

(Currently into the farkle-swapping from the '08 top the '13. The more I ride the new bike, the more I like it.)

I'm also one of those "not-an-owner" guys, but I'd probably vote "Touring" 'cause I don't need to advertise on a public forum how big my Johnson is.

tongue.png

From what mi bastard step-pappy said, with the size of your Johnson, I wouldn't be advertising it either!

finger.gif
Greg and Steve, Since you two both asked so nicely I just emailed you photos of my Johnson. It is truly wonderful to be Irish, really!

" Sport - 1/4 turn throttle

Tour - 3/4 turn throttle

That is the easiest way for me to describe it. "

Still sounds like "slower" to me. :) Am guessing I need to find that switch on my IPhone...as it seems to be set to "touring" also....(the Mobil app still runnng slow for me)

I know many bitched that the throttle was too abrupt on the early Gen II bikes. (Never had a problem with it myself)

The installation of the G2 throttle tube for those early models was reported to be the cure. Later models I understand had much better throttle response.

So now the Gen III takes that a step farther it seems. My question here is can you accellerate just as quickly if you suddenly need to if the switch is set to "Tour"?

Tour - 3/4 turn throttle

Still sounds like "slower" to me.
smile.png
Am guessing I need to find that switch on my IPhone...as it seems to be set to "touring" also....(the Mobil app still runnng slow for me)

I know many bitched that the throttle was too abrupt on the early Gen II bikes. (Never had a problem with it myself)

The installation of the G2 throttle tube for those early models was reported to be the cure. Later models I understand had much better throttle response.

So now the Gen III takes that a step farther it seems. My question here is can you accellerate just as quickly if you suddenly need to if the switch is set to "Tour"?
Yes. You just need to turn the throttle more.

Tour - 3/4 turn throttle

Still sounds like "slower" to me.
smile.png
Am guessing I need to find that switch on my IPhone...as it seems to be set to "touring" also....(the Mobil app still runnng slow for me)

Yes. You just need to turn the throttle more.
Eggsactly! Sport mode may even seem abrupt to some, especially if you switch back and forth like I was. Once I got my brain dialed in and remembered SMOOOOOOTH, it was berry berry nice to me! :D

100_1316.jpg

Hey now, as soon as I can figure how to open up the fairing glove box to get to the Owner's Manual I am going to try out the Touring Mode today. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
Don the owners manual can usually be found under the seat NOT in the glove box.

R

As the switch in my brain has been stuck on "sport" since 1978.....I'd likely choose the same get the bike to match.

Touring just makes the bike to slower right?
Not really slower...just smoother on shifts and take off due to gradual introduction of power.
Gee, I always thought that was a function of the aforementioned brain and its control over your right hand....
wink.png

As good as it all sounds and yeah, it makes the bike "safer" for the masses, I think it's getting to the limit of where its starting to cross that line where riding a bike is less of a skill but of computer controlled technology.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. I think ABS is the most important breakthrough in plain common sense that's ever been applied to a motorcycle.

I guess im staring to wonder how much control is being taken away from the rider.
This "type" of feature isnt new (as you may or may not know). I know, for example, the gsxr had what they called C-mode as early as 2007. But I think the context of that device and the T/S mode on the FJR are a little different. But the technology is the same.

I've road 1000 miles on my 2013 since delivery and I'm still struggling with the sport mode in first gear, second gear, it appears to be instant on or off, very choppy. Very difficult to roll-on the throttle, I'm sure I'll find a happy medium someday but my 1000 mile impression is that I'm not a huge fan of the instant on and off. Touring mode is pleasant and mundane, keeps you out of trouble on rough surfaces or just hanging out times. Sorry to highjack the thread and give my opinion on topic but I'm too new hear to know who/when to insult other members, I'm sure I will learn that too!

I've road 1000 miles on my 2013 since delivery and I'm still struggling with the sport mode in first gear, second gear, it appears to be instant on or off, very choppy. Very difficult to roll-on the throttle, I'm sure I'll find a happy medium someday but my 1000 mile impression is that I'm not a huge fan of the instant on and off. Touring mode is pleasant and mundane, keeps you out of trouble on rough surfaces or just hanging out times. Sorry to highjack the thread and give my opinion on topic but I'm too new hear to know who/when to insult other members, I'm sure I will learn that too!
Its not hijacking at all! This is what the thread is all about!

I dont have as many miles as you, but my experiences are similar. Riding in sport mode takes some work and attentiveness thats for sure.

Lets see if I can add to the confusion.
smile.png

I haven't ridden a 2013 FJR but have a S10 and the comments about the FJR riding modes seem very similar to the S10's dual mode (Touring and Sport). The different power levels between the modes has been debated on the S10 forum for a year and I think it has finally been resolved with some pretty extensive dyno runs that were just published. As it turns out there is a dramatic difference in HP between the 2 modes but only in the first 4 gears. How much? About 25 percent in second gear (they couldn't get a 1st gear dyno run due to wheel hopping on the dyno) and about 20 percent in 3rd and 4th. The difference in 5th and 6th was very minor, less than 2 percent.

My experience, riding the S10, is that the Touring mode in much easier to make smooth starts, is slightly smoother at highway speeds, and may get a little better gas mileage. The Sport mode always feels faster with its quicker throttle response, but the actual performance is pretty much the same.........unless I am riding hard uphill and running 3rd and 4th at higher rpm levels and even then there isn't that much difference. The Sport mode's higher HP can be almost be totally offset by the Touring mode's smoother power delivery allowing the rider to roll on the throttle earlier when accelerating out of a corner.

I would guess that the FJR's power restrictions in the 2 modes are probably similar to the S10s in the lower gears but the output in 5th gear is probably about the same. If you like the Touring mode you should use it....that's what I do on the S10.

Last edited by a moderator: