cam chain tensioner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how the cam chain tensioner works on the 07 FJR? I was having a ticking noise between 2500-4000 rpms and was told by my dealer that the cam chain may be slack and to get hard on the throttle and that would tighten the cam chain. I did and the noise all but went away. When I posted this in the forum I was told that the tensioner dosen't work this way and my dealer was wrong. Thanks.

If you're facing the right side of the engine the engine crankshaft, etc. turns in a clockwise direction. The crankshaft via the camshaft drive chain turns the two camshafts clockwise as well. That means the portion of the chain on the forward side (right side) of the crankshaft is under tension when the engine is running. The portion of the chain on the rearward side (left side) of the crankshaft is slack (not under tension). The spring-loaded chain tensioner pushes in against the slack portion of the chain and puts a slight tension on the chain removing most of the slack.

When you get on the throttle it may momentarily tighten the forward portion of the chain a bit but I doubt it lessens the slack on the rearward side.

If you're facing the right side of the engine the engine crankshaft, etc. turns in a clockwise direction. The crankshaft via the camshaft drive chain turns the two camshafts clockwise as well. That means the portion of the chain on the forward side (right side) of the crankshaft is under tension when the engine is running. The portion of the chain on the rearward side (left side) of the crankshaft is slack (not under tension). The spring-loaded chain tensioner pushes in against the slack portion of the chain and puts a slight tension on the chain removing most of the slack.
When you get on the throttle it may momentarily tighten the forward portion of the chain a bit but I doubt it lessens the slack on the rearward side.
I went to a breakdown of the cam chain and tensioner and could find no springs in the breakdown. The tensioner appears to be some sort of plunger that takes up the slack. I'm thinking that when grabbing a handfull of throttle the driving side of the chain tightens allowing what appears to be a plunger to extend out taking up the slack. Any way I know when I tried this {grabbing a handfull of throttle} my ticking noise went away. I would like other persons with a ticking noise on gen 2 FJRs to try this and see if it works for them. I appreciate the forum, thanks.