CamelBack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Any you good FJR folks use a Camelback or similar hydration system while going X-country? Thinking I'm going to be spending a LOT of time in the saddle going to WFO (and elsewhere), and wondering what to look for.

I see there is a Camelbak Ventoux 100 oz on eBay that ends up being about $65 shipped. It has supposedly something like 1500 CU of storage, enough to put a helmet, or skivvies or whatever in, besides 100 ounces of Cabo Wabo tequila, or whatever you guys drink out in the desert. Jolt Cola?

Anyway, thought the Ventoux was a nice rig, but wondered if just getting a smaller hydration only rig wouldn't be better.

Never ridden with a backpack before, so looking for some input and real world experiences.

Thanks!

Matt

I've got a 100 oz Camelbak StoAway that I strap to the back seat/luggage rack of the bike... then have the water hose attached to a retractable line on my tank bag. Works great. Just remember to blow the water in the line back into the bag before you take a sip... otherwise the first few drinks can be kinda warm. You can find them on the Internet for $35 fairly easily...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a smaller CamelBak pack for long rides - I can't remember the model name. It holds 70 ounces, and has just a little extra compartment that holds sunglasses, keys, maybe an energy bar. After a while, I don't even notice I have it on. It's a little work getting the mouth piece under the chin section of my helmet, but it's a great way to stay hydrated on those long pulls through the heat.

My goal is to drink enough that I have just a little water left in the pack when I get to the next gas stop. I fill it with ice from the soda dispenser, then either buy a cold jug of water, or fill it from the soda dispenser's water tab (if you've bought gas, or even a snack, they usually don't care if you fill up with water, but some places may ask you to pay for a cup of soda).

On a hot ride, I usually carry an extra 1-liter bottle of water just in case. If you break down in 90+ heat, you'll need it.

On a hot ride, I usually carry an extra 1-liter bottle of water just in case. If you break down in 90+ heat, you'll need it.
Hmm, good advice. Not sure why I don't consider breakdowns much. ;)

I use a camel bak but found it personally cumbersome to use with a full face helmet. Its very difficult to "feel" for the hose, while its dangling on your jacket, and not very pleasant to let the mouth piece stay in place for long periods of time. I suggest, if you want to drink, pull off momentarily, drink and then ride. There are too many variables for distractions that take your concentration off the road, so now I keep an insulated cooler on my passenger pillon, iced and a six pack of gatorade & frappuccino assortments.

the other links I hangout at. EPICUREAN RIDERS
Mike, And I thought I was ride-eat oriented. That site takes the cake! :lol:

That's really an excellent idea and will be great when there's more content. It looks fairly new though. I know, I know, you'll say, well add some!

the other links I hangout at. EPICUREAN RIDERS
Mike, And I thought I was ride-eat oriented. That site takes the cake! :lol:

That's really an excellent idea and will be great when there's more content. It looks fairly new though. I know, I know, you'll say, well add some!
did you say cake? where where?

I have a 70 (or so) ounce hydration bladder ($10 at walmart) that I keep in my FJR Goodies FJR tank bag. I leave about 3 inches of the tube hanging out between the zippers in the back of the bag. When I want a drink I put the windshield up lean forward a little raise my face shield pull the tube out with my left hand stick it in my face and hydrate. Then stuff it back into the bag till next time. Eyes never have to leave the road.

Make sure to get one with a "big mouth" so you can get ice cubes into it with ease an keep a rag under it to absorb condensation.

Remember: "hydrate or die"

Toophast

One thing to remember about Camelback or any similar hydration system:

If you fill it with anything besides water, it will tast like whatever you filled it with forever. I ended up with two bladders because of that. Camelback bladders that is :D

Also, you'll want the 90 deg. end piece on the drink tube. Otherwise it's a clumsy fumbly pain in the ass to get a drink unless you have a flip face helmet.

Did you see my setup at the Ohio ramble?

I used Camelbacks for years, but was always running out of fluid. On LD rides, you'll never have enough water. Dirt bikes they are great.

I'm using something similar to Hmarc's setupHere

Nelson Riggs tailbag holds a gallon walmart thermos. Mounted to the back seat.

Bought "hard" water tubing, quick release valve, camelback tubing, connector and mouthpiece.

Drilled hole in top of thermos, insert tubing with quick fill outside. I covered the external tubing in Thermo-Tec's 3/4" heat flective wire wrap.

Finally, connect an office badge retractor (available at Staples) to the mountpiece and attach to the tail bag side pocket zipper.

SO I just quick disconnect the tubing, fill the jug with ice water, plug back in and go. You could also run the line the tankbag.

Much, much more water to take you through the day.